GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting back to my roots of being a Wing owner. Had a '83 Aspencade (BK) and loved it... Got a Cruiser now and want something larger..... a couple of general questions -
1 - the Base Model - Premium Sound - Of course Hondas site doesnt tell us, does this include the Intercom? CB?
2 - If not what is the anticipated cost to add the intercom? CB/Antenna?
3 - ABS - How well does it work? I am not sure after riding thousands of miles without it, will if be benificial?
4 - GPS, is self explanatory

Thanks for your time

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Welcome aboard.

1. All models include the intercom system. The CB is an add on that runs about $750.

3. Many folks and I recommend the ABS and would not ride without it.
When buying new, you have to get the base (premium audio) package + the comfort package + the NAV package + the ABS package. In 05 you could get base + ABS. 06 and later is as above.

4. Many here have factory NAV and an add on NAV.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
. . .
3 - ABS - How well does it work? I am not sure after riding thousands of miles without it, will if be benificial?
From comments of those who have had to use it in emergency situations, and from everything I've read about Honda engineering, it works exceedingly well. Perhaps you haven't yet been put in a situation that requires it, but you only need it ONCE in several thousand miles of riding to appreciate what a life saver it could be.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just to add my two cents: I wouldn't be without the ABS (it saved my bacon) and I wouldn't have bothered with the GPS (it sucks) if it hadn't been required to get ABS back then.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting back to my roots of being a Wing owner. Had a '83 Aspencade (BK) and loved it... Got a Cruiser now and want something larger..... a couple of general questions -
1 - the Base Model - Premium Sound - Of course Hondas site doesnt tell us, does this include the Intercom? CB?

Intercom is prewired. you have to add external wires from helmet to connection point to use it. Cost can vary in range of $300-$500 for the external wires and mic's for the helmets. I priced one Saturday for $500. Included helmet and all the electronics to get it to the bike. $200 was for helmet, $300 for electronics. Helmet was Shoei 3/4.

2 - If not what is the anticipated cost to add the intercom? CB/Antenna?

To add CB and Antenna...range will be around $800-900. Antenna alone is in range of $105. CB around $650-$750

Some swear by it, some don't. It appears to be a personal preference.

4 - GPS, is self explanatory.

Some like theirs like it is, some hate them. Again, it is a personal perference. It appears most pay for it due to no choice to get other items in the upgrade and still add on their fav model still.

Thanks for your time

Hope that helped a hair...:doorag:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone.... thats how it was for the '83.... intercom came with the base unit and the CB was an add....As to ABS.....I agree.... with the saving of the butt....at least in a cage that is....

Now to find the deal of a life time.....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting back to my roots of being a Wing owner. Had a '83 Aspencade (BK) and loved it... Got a Cruiser now and want something larger..... a couple of general questions - ....

Thanks for your time
Hunzee covered it pretty well, and I agree with his assessment. The only thing I can add is that the Honda NAVI is a little cumbersome to use for me, so I prefer my Zumo 550. I also have it installed on the L handlebar and use both (the NAVI for the zoom in view) and the Zumo I use for everything else: actual navigating searching, etc., as it has a touch screen).

If you loved the old touring bike you had, you'll love the new Wings. "Just Do It!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts