GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a dealer that rents Goldwings in the south metro area of the Twin Cities next summer? I would really like to ride one either new or used for a day or two to see if the better half and myself really enjoy it. Have maybe 10 miles total on a Goldwing so I'd really like to spend some time on one before buying. Sold the old Magna last year and the kids crotch rocket is fun for 50 miles max.

Also, this has probably been discussed many times before but 1500 vs the 1800, pros/cons?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hey neighbor. I'm up in Buffalo - west of downtown mpls by 40 miles. We ride south quite a bit to go to the river - Maiden Rock and Wabasha. You got a bike I can ride, we can swap out for an afternoon and ride together. You will not need a day or 2 to enjoy the wing. About 100 miles and you'll know if you love it or not. Email me at [email protected] if you want to set something up.

There are NO wing rentals in MN at dealers. Most dealers will not let you take one for a test drive either unless you sign a purchase agreement and do the credit check. It's simply an insurance and liability issue. There are however demo days in the spring at some dealers and then you can go for a free test drive. But this is just a short drive and you can't have a passenger.

I have had both the 1500 and now the 1800. 1800 is quite a bit faster, handles WAY better, and is just overall bigger and better bike. The 1500 is still very nice and a hell of alot cheaper than an 1800. Both the 1800 and the 1500 are hard to find good used ones in MN but there will be some for sale in the spring. IF I was you, I would buy the 1500 then move to an 1800 a year later or so if you and honey still like it. The 1500 will sell no problem.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hogwash! You don't need to rent one. Just go buy the 1800. It's the best touring bike on the road.

I'm in Rosemount, but I only let 1 person ride the yellow beast; my riding partner. He wrecks mine, he give me his.

If you decide to buy, find the lowest price, then make your deal. I shopped and found a good price, then ask my closest dealer if he would match.........he did. I also purchased an extended warranty from my closest dealer.........at Hals sale price. I was ready to buy from Hal but I like to support the local economy. Yes, I had to pay sales tax but that is a little price to pay to have a great relationship with the hometown dealer.

Don Jenkins

·
Registered
484 Posts
I guess I like hogwash cause I did the same thing. My dealer has been around for many years and is 10 miles from me. Never even rode an 1800 before I bought mine. I sat on one for about 90 minutes at a Harley dealer in South Dakota while my old Ultra was getting yet another warranty repair. During Sturgis bike week no less. Dealer never should of let me sit on that Wing. It was in their TV waiting room. Just go buy a wing and enjoy the hell out of it. Ah, after the salt is off the roads however.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yo Bro...welcome to the board...any chance you could look at a differant A.K.A.? I'v had mine for a few years here and several on the Valk boards.

Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
Gotta talk to Lamont (the head honcho administrator) if you want your screen name changed.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I took my wing for a 15 mi. test ride and told them that i wanted to buy one. Best move i have made so far involving motorcycles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry MN-Rider for trespassing on the name. I use it on several snowmobile sites so figured I'd stick with it, didn't know it was being used. I'll try to get it changed.

Want to trade 2 Polaris's (low miles) for a Wing???

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would love to trade for a couple of snow-machines. But growing up in Minnesota I have realized over the past several years that it don't snow here anymore. The last snowmobile I was on was 30 years ago...it was a Rupp Nitro 440. It was the fastest sled around back in those days.
:drive1:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well aint this nice. MN has their own lil thread going.
Go visit the antique snowmobile show in Waconia January 20 & 21. I's sure you will see some minted out rupp nitros.
http://www.mwvss.com/

With our non winter, you can ride your motorcycle there this year. OR if you beg hard enough, someone will have a lil mini bike or dirt bike with studs in it that they will let you ride. You can then tell everyone you rode a motorcycle in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Minnesotan's

Are you guys familiar with the Patriot Guard Riders? We could sure use more wings!!!!

John

·
Registered
138 Posts
jacooch said:
Minnesotan's

Are you guys familiar with the Patriot Guard Riders? We could sure use more wings!!!!

John
John,
I took alook at the website...how can I help and get involved?

·
Registered
419 Posts
GarageLogic said:
I am lovin this winter.....
I agree totally. Today is only about the 5th day this fall/early winter that I didn't ride the bike to work. I didn't really believed the forecast for freezing rain today (it's actually a rather warm drizzle), but they were right for the yuk we got last Thursday, so I decided to play it safe for a change.

Seeing as how "MN has their own lil thread going", I have a question for any of you guys who ride in the winter: have you done anything special to protect your rims? An earlier thread claimed that the rims on the Wings are not coated. There was a suggestion to Clear Coat them. Not sure how well this holds up to the winter conditions after a couple of tire changes.
The salt doesn't seem to hurt the rims on the Voyager, but this bike has given me so many problems in the 2 years since I bought it that I really don't care. I've just been thinking that when I get around to dropping $20k+ for a new Wing that I might not be as willing to ruin it by running it in the winter salt. Sometimes it's nice to have the ol' winter beater you don't care about - on the other hand, it would be great to have ABS, heated seat/grips and reverse to help get it in the garage (I always get lots of ice in front of the North facing garage door).

Sorry MNrider for getting off topic. Call or visit Moon Motors up in Monticello (763) 295-2920 moonmotorsports.com. They do allow short rides during their April? Demo dayz, but you've already done the short ride thing. They did let me test ride a used 1500 and their new 1800 demo bike 2 summers ago when I was trying to decide what bike I might be interested in. I did have to sign a waiver, but that's normal practice nowadays anyway. I didn't even hint to them that I was going to buy one of the bikes, just that I was trying to figure out what my next bike would be.

At the time, I was coming off an '83 650 Silverwing and preferred the 1500. After spending 2 years on the Voyager, my preference has definitely gone over to the 1800, JMHO

By the way, I feel guilty for signing my name the way I do because there is also a Mike W. over in WI. Hope he doesn't mind too much, otherwise I might have to change also.

Good luck,

·
Registered
484 Posts
Moon Motor is where I got my wing. Class guys even though the outside of the building is beat up. Buy what the hell, they have been around forever. I'd rather get a better price on my Honda goodies than look at a new building. Come on up here in the spring. Get free hot dogs and pop. You'll feel like your at a dairy queen. :lol:

Don't ride anythine with 2 wheels on the streets when there is salt. Doesn't matter if it's a 20K wing or a beater bike. Your electrical connections will go to crap real fast. Much more of a pain in the ass then corrosion on the rims. Cold weather and clean water is no problem however. Just ice and frosty nuts to worry about.

Have not heard anybody have good success yet with clear coating the wing's aluminum wheels. Lots of cars & trucks have clear coat on the aluminum mag wheels. Look close, they are pitted and have tire sealing issues due to corrosion on the inside of the rim. Stay away from salted roads. It's just not worth it.

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
You could try Honda House in St. Cloud, MN. Use to be able to test ride a wing there anytime without it being a "demo day." Not sure if they rent 1800's out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Shiver,
I agree with joel3078 rims are not clear coated and I only ride on cold clean days as I hate to have to wash the bike after words.

I used to buy from Pauls Honda then was sold and then called St. Paul Honda. There was a littel guy named John Schaber that used to wash my bike there and now he is the Goldwing guy at Moon.

Although I have not bought from him in the last few years I know they are nice people. I have bought from Mike the owner of Cambridge Honda and a couple from South St. Paul as well. In South St. Paul in 2001 they let me have the bike most of the day to try and sold me my 1st of the 1800's. I am on my 3rd 1800 now out of 14 Goldwing's .

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
Despite how warm it has been here in MN during Dec., I do not ride after they apply "salt" to the roads. As general info, here is a list of the chemicals used to melt ice. Chemicals containing fluorides and chlorides are not very kind to aluminum, especially the 6000 and 7000 serie. You never get all of the salt residue washed off the frame, and it will concentrate in the crevices were it doesn't get completely removed.

Ice melting chemicals:

Ammonium sulfate, sodium chloride, calcium chloride, calcium magnesium acetate, magnesium chloride, potassium acetate, potassium chloride, and urea.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I might as well throw my 2 Minnesota cents in. Buy the wing!

We have an annual get-together you can come over and kick tires!

Kurt??? You there???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts