GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 new trike I am debating what aftermarket seat would you buy Russell day long or ultimate seat pro and cons

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have both seats and here is my opinion.

Ultimate - they make there own seat pans. Their customer service is great and their seats look great. I would say the buying experience is easier and faster. The con is they’re expensive.

Russell - they have to destroy the Honda seat to get the seat pan. I think their seat is slightly more comfortable but not as good looking. The buying experience is slower and they are expensive.

So for pure comfort go with the Russell. For a great seat that looks great go with Ultimate.

They are both well made and rugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I have a 2017 new trike I am debating what aftermarket seat would you buy Russell day long or ultimate seat pro and cons
A SEAT IS A ONE ON ONE THING. I WOULD SUGGEST YOU GO TO A BIKE WEEK RALLY LIKE DAYTONA BIKE WEEK . THERE YOU CAN VISIT ULTIMATE AND CORBIN FACTORY STORES AND TO USE THE SUPER FLEXIBLE HONA STOCK PAN IS A GIANT WASTE OF MONEY. THERE YOU CAN SEE THE CONSTRUCTION OF A CORBIN SEAT PAN IS A SOLID BASE MAST OF FIBERGLASS TYPE MATERIAL. AND THEN IN MY OPINION THE BEST FEEL AND DESIGN HANDS DOWN NO ONE COMES CLOSE TO A COMFORTABLE AND SUPER CUSTOM LOOK AND FEEL. CORBIN WILL LET YOU TRY OUT A SEAT ON YOUR WING AND WILL MAKE A SEAT CUSTOM TO YOU AND THE MISSES BOTTOM . CHECK OUT LINK YOU CLICK DIFFERENT COLORS AND LEATHER OPTIONS. I DID A FIBERGRAPHIC BLACK WITH SNAKE SKIN AWESOME
SHOULD GET A 10% DISCOUNT AT THE SHOW TO

http://www.corbin.com/honda/hgw182012.shtml

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a Russell on my 15 and really like it. A step up from stock in my opinion. I also had Russell seats on my Triumph Rockets, a huge step up from their stock seat. Very pleased with their quality and comfort.

Unable to comment on the ultimate.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Another option is one built by Tom Simmons, TS Custom seats. My understanding is he's only using facebook now and took down his website. He built one for my 05 trike and it's one of the best things I added to it.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Try Hartco seats,talk to Tom Hart. He will make you what you want. Just got my second 1800 seat from him,350,000 plus on the first one and it went with the bike.

Reactions: Art H.

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Not to confuse things, but you could also consider Terry's Custom Seats https://www.terryscustomseats.com/ I have a Kawasaki, and on the Kawasaki forum the guys rave about how good a job Terry does, and at far less cost than RDL or Ultimate or whatever. In fact I have my Kawasaki seat in his shop right now being altered. No idea if he does GW seats.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm on RDL #8 and wouldn't hesitate to do another one. As popular as a wing is they may have a seat pan in house. Give them a call and talk to Jay. Some will tell you that they don't like the looks but If I can see the seat while riding then I have other things to worry about. On my latest one I went with the gray Sunbrella material. It looks good and doesn't get hot in the sun.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Russell Day-Long has my vote and has for the past 20+ years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A few years ago I put an Ultimate seat on my 2012 Goldwing and after riding a few months found my butt hurt just as much as it did with the stock seat. My wife, however, liked the more upright position of the Ultimate passenger backrest. So I sold the Ultimate seat, sent the OEM seat to RDL and left the Ultimate passenger backrest on the bike. RDL's attention to detail in customizing the seat for height, weight and riding position in the saddle is amazing. The RDL seat was a great investment and I'd definitely do it again.

Reactions: WY88

·
Registered
584 Posts
A few years ago I put an Ultimate seat on my 2012 Goldwing and after riding a few months found my butt hurt just as much as it did with the stock seat. My wife, however, liked the more upright position of the Ultimate passenger backrest. So I sold the Ultimate seat, sent the OEM seat to RDL and left the Ultimate passenger backrest on the bike. RDL's attention to detail in customizing the seat for height, weight and riding position in the saddle is amazing. The RDL seat was a great investment and I'd definitely do it again.
Ultimate seat, I find the "soft part" too small so my butt bones hit what I'd call "ridge" in the seat, gets VERY uncomfortable, for me. It sits in the box now, I use my stock seat (reworked) until I can do a RDL.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
how comparable is ts custom seat to Russell day long seats

RDL seats ARE custom seats. Go to their website and see all the info they require to build a seat for YOU. They will even modify it once free of charge if you don’t like the original build.
I can’t speak for other brands but I had 1 RDL built and will do one on my next ride also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Will rdl use the wings stock very flexible nosupporting thin plastic seat pan. And how much will this mod cost? Do you have any photos you. An post.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have both seats and here is my opinion.

Ultimate - they make there own seat pans. Their customer service is great and their seats look great. I would say the buying experience is easier and faster. The con is they’re expensive.

Russell - they have to destroy the Honda seat to get the seat pan. I think their seat is slightly more comfortable but not as good looking. The buying experience is slower and they are expensive.

So for pure comfort go with the Russell. For a great seat that looks great go with Ultimate.

They are both well made and rugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ditto...exactly my take on it as well!

The "Boss" & I are in this position now (but still on the Ultimate). I'm 'bout to hafta do somethin'. Caint take it much longer!

Not to confuse things, but you could also consider Terry's Custom Seats https://www.terryscustomseats.com/ I have a Kawasaki, and on the Kawasaki forum the guys rave about how good a job Terry does, and at far less cost than RDL or Ultimate or whatever. In fact I have my Kawasaki seat in his shop right now being altered. No idea if he does GW seats.
Thank you! They're only 3 hours from me, sounds like a day ride :thumbup:

To O.P., if Terry's Custom isn't what I'm lookin' for... my next one will definitely be RDL!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Motorcycle saddles are like helmets. Everyone's body is different.
Going with a custom made saddle usually will give one the best comfort. Sometimes there is one that does not work, but that's rare.

For me it has been the Hartco. 3rd bike and 3rd Hartco in 40+ years and I'm again a satisfied customer.
After long days on weeks long trips my fanny and back say "Thank you"! Worth every dime invested.

Use your best judgment and contact the builders. Others opinions like you are getting here are also good to make a choice.:capwin:

Corventure Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts