GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has already been posted. I couldn't find it anywhere on the forum and thought it was interesting.

A motorcycle that can "see" around corners

According to the seminal report on the causes of motorcycle accidents and injuries known as the Hurt study, almost 50 percent of motorcycle accidents happen when cars pull out in front of an oncoming motorcycle that they presumably don’t see.

That’s a scary number for any motorcyclist, especially a newly minted rider. Until now, the best defense motorcyclists could muster was to try to be as visible as possible, wearing bright colors, and using headlights and lane-placement strategies to be conspicuous.

If motorcycles could see around corners (and car drivers could see cycles coming more easily) it would be a big boost to safety.

Now Honda is installing short-range wireless communications equipment on its large Goldwing touring motorcycles in Europe that will allow riders to do just that.

The dedicated short-range wireless communications system will flash a light at the base of the Goldwing’s windshield to alert the rider of a car equipped with a connected, compatible device (which may include a GPS navigator, cell phone, or factory-integrated system). The warning could alert the rider of an approaching another vehicle on track to cross the motorcycle’s intended path.

While I saw a lot of similar technologies at the Intelligent Transportation Society's World Congress in New York last month that used wireless communications in creative ways to improve safety, no other application seemed more immediately beneficial than installing the system on a motorcycle.

For now, the connected infrastructure in the United States is still far too limited for practical application, though I hope the companies and governments working on these systems continue making progress. If Honda could install the system on Goldwings here in the States and provide the technology for other motorcycles, it could significantly reduce motorcycle accidents.

Here's where this article came from:
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/motorcycles_scooters/index.html

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Very Cool!! Thanks for posting!

·
Vendor
21,411 Posts
That same info is on a Honda site, and they show a Gold Wing outfitted with it. It appears to still be in the experimental phase, and the infrastructure is not yet in place to make this work, since all other cars on the road would need to have it in order for it to work.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199257

Here is an interesting tid bit in that article.

http://world.honda.com/news/2008/c08...nd-CEO-Speech/

Quote:
< Electric motorcycle > · Honda is currently developing a battery-powered electric motorcycle which emits no CO2 during operation, because the characteristics of a battery can be better utilized in the area of motorcycles, which are often used for short distance travel. Honda is aiming to introduce this electric motorcycle to the market about two years from now.
And here is a another interesting tid bit. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the new Wing will use a FOB or Smart Card instead of a key. Kawasaki put a key fob (KIPASS) system on the new Concours, and in my opinion it has been a miserable failure, and is a solution looking for a problem to solve. Many failures and stranded riders have already occurred, and a new key cost $275. It is an expensive and complicated system that is completely unnecessary and unwanted by most riders and is also prone to failure. I'm sorry to see Honda is even considering going this route and I think it will be a huge mistake. What used to take a $20 ignition lock and key will be replaced by no less than 4 electronic boxes that will cost 20 times as much. On my Concours, if you loose both FOBs, you have to replace the KIPASS ECU and engine ECU at a cost of around $1,500 - $2,000.

http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-te.../Smartcardkey/

And here is some more interesting info. Notice the bike they use is a GL1800.
http://world.honda.com/news/2008/208...le-Technology/

Quote:
Vehicle to Vehicle (V2V) Systems Development by Honda
Honda has developed this technology within the ASV (Advanced Safety Vehicle) programme in Japan, and is currently participating in projects in Europe, Japan and the United States. In Japan, Honda is now in phase 4 of its ASV development. This ASV-4 system uses a wireless communication unit to ascertain the position and direction of cars and motorcycles in relation to each other, and provides drivers with information on approaching vehicles and obstacles on the road. This follows the introduction of ASV-3 technologies in 2005, and ASV-4 has built on extensive research, data collection and collaboration in advanced safety technologies.

What is Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communication?

V2V communication rapidly relays information in a simple and concise manner, which supports motorists' and bikers' recognition processes. Information including position, direction and vehicle dynamics coordinates is exchanged between vehicles. Motorcycle riders can safely receive warnings about vehicles near them on a Head-up Indicator Display, and can receive information through an in-helmet audio system, neither requiring them to take their eyes off the road. Drivers can view information on the status of cars and motorcycles in their vicinity and receive warnings on, for example, their navigation system display.

Honda Advanced HMI

The effectiveness of a Vehicle-to-Vehicle and Vehicle-to-Infrastructure communication system largely depends on the HMI concept - the interface between the rider and his machine. Based on extensive research, Honda has developed for the Car 2 Car demonstration a simple, logical and intuitive HMI for faster and easier recognition. Both a visual and an audible warning are provided in safety critical situations. The visual HMI is located on the upper edge of the motorcycle dashboard, as close as possible to the line of vision, enabling the rider to spot the information and warnings easily without actually having to take his eyes off the road. The intensity, colour and the position of the lights provide intuitive information on the seriousness and the location of the danger ahead. To augment the riders' recognition and further specify the hazard ahead, an acoustic warning by means of spoken text is given in the helmet, which is connected by means of Bluetooth® communication link with the on-board system. This advanced HMI contributes to enhanced motorcycle safety.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Interesting and probably will government mandated some day.

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
Seems to me like that would be extremely distracting and annoying.

·
Vendor
21,411 Posts
Seems to me like that would be extremely distracting and annoying.
I tend to agree. If this thing were to go off every time a car approached an intersection near you, it would be on constantly when you ride through town. After a short while you would either ignore it altogether, or put electrical tape over the annoying indicator light that was forever flashing.

What Honda should have done, is used that type of indicator for the Low Tire Pressure sensor on the 09, instead of the dim dash light that you can't even see in the sunlight.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey Galute....what's the story on this photo?
His puddle alarm light didn't go off:wrong:
Sorry Galute couldn't resist the temptation in my head:shrug:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
How does the system know that the car is turning? By the car's turn signal? Oops! So much for that plan!

Past that, most of the time, the motorcyclist knows the car is going to turn. The question is not whether the car is turning, it's when is the car turning. Unless the system can read the cager's mind, it's a bust for turners.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
This will only work it the other car has a smiliar device installed. Until then the millions of vehicles out there will still cause a problem. If riders slowed down at intersections and we vigilant of their surroundings this item would not be needed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts