GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the wealth of information on this site, I have questions about tires. I have about 10,000 miles on my set of Bridgestones. I'm going to visit my son in North Carolina soon. Should I consider replacing the tires before I go? They front still looks great, the back has begun to flatten a little. They both show good thread depth. I've also looked at tire pricing and cost of replacement from dealers in the area. They seem to be on the extreme side on pricing. Any one from the Baton Rouge, La. area have any good references or suggestions?

H

·
0 Posts
With all the wealth of information on this site, I have questions about tires. I have about 10,000 miles on my set of Bridgestones. I'm going to visit my son in North Carolina soon. Should I consider replacing the tires before I go? They front still looks great, the back has begun to flatten a little. They both show good thread depth. I've also looked at tire pricing and cost of replacement from dealers in the area. They seem to be on the extreme side on pricing. Any one from the Baton Rouge, La. area have any good references or suggestions?
All I can add is that Bridgestones used to be the brand that people bought just occasionally but in the last 6 months the Bridgestone tire for the Goldwing has become the most popular. I think their tire provides the best quality to price ratio right now and more people are seeing that.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I have been getting around 20,000 (s)miles on my E 3's. I would certainly run those Bridgestones of yours up to NC. JMHO

Shadow1

Hal

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hey there & welcome!!! If you have the tread... ride on them.....You'll get plenty more miles on those tires....no worries!
:thumbup:
Mark

H

·
0 Posts
There is something very satisfying about new tires. It doesn't matter if they are for a car or motorcycle. And it doesn't matter how worn the old tires were. New tires just can put a smile on your face-----at least for a few days. Then they are used tires. And the dilemna starts all over. When should I replace them again?

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you are having doubts about the distance, go ahead and replace them. Most tire problems occur on older tires. You will absolutely hate yourself if you don't change the tires and something goes wrong.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If they look good, ride 'em. Check 'em when you get there and, if they still look good, ride 'em home. If not replace them there. There's enough Honda shops along the way you can always get them replaced. You may pay a little more here or there but it's cheaper to get the extra 5000 miles out of them than to always replace them way too early. JMHO.

Besides, even a brand new tire can need replacing after some unfortunate meeting with road debris while on a trip. I know, 2000 miles on a brand new bike and picked up several holes from a strip a nails from an nailer gun. There were way too many holes to feel safe to ride on so I plugged em and rode to a dealer and had it replaced.

Inspect all tires--car or bike or trailer--frequently. Replace when necessary.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
There is something very satisfying about new tires. It doesn't matter if they are for a car or motorcycle. And it doesn't matter how worn the old tires were. New tires just can put a smile on your face-----at least for a few days. Then they are used tires. And the dilemna starts all over. When should I replace them again?
I agree 100%. If tires were cheap I would replace them every 3-5K miles.
Feels like a new bike.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
You didn't say exactly where from/to
... but from BR to Central N.C is going to be almost 2000 miles round trip
.... and that's if you don't ride the bike after you get there.

I've never gotten more than 8-9 out of a rear stone
or 13-14k out of front stone.
Sounds like yours are about "done".
I'd never start out on a long trip with "done" tires.
In addition to fuel,
tires are about the ONLY things you HAVE to do on this bike
so don't skimp in that area.

Piece of mind... swap them out now
... you'll enjoy the trip so much more too ...

Dennis

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
Like a gas tank, the last half of the tire always wears out much quicker than the first half. And it always happens at the most inappropriate time when your on a trip somewhere and far from a place where you can get a good deal. If there is any doubt then replace it before you leave. Why ruin a nice trip. Hal has the best deals that I've found.

·
Registered
275 Posts
rdean, I noticed you wrote your back tire is starting to flatten. My season old Bridgestone on the rear is flattening out as well. I am thinking of increasing the pressure to about 43. I read on this board a while back of others doing this. The wear pattern on mine is about a good 7 inches wide. Right now the pressure is 41 front and rear.

Bill

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts

So Hal, when is your next big tire "blowout" sale? I sure could use a new set of Metzlers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:doorag: they are probably fine. look at how far you are on each tire from the wear indicators. Hal has a good price on tires and there is a local guy off of o'neal that will mount them for you. He is a member of GWRRA chapter "A". You might want to get a spare rear wheel and tire so when you make trips, you can swap out back tires. Cajun Cycles may be able to help with a rear rim.:p

·
Registered
589 Posts
IMHO on the GL1800 after 10K on the rear tire it bears a lot of watching. I normally get about 11-12K on the rear. My front goes 18k + and I try to go 1 front too 2 rears. I am not there looking at your tire but if you have problems on the road with this rear tire how much is another few hundred miles worth after having it fail on the road. Nails and other junk in the road are first hit with the front tire and most of the time passed over safely but flipped up and then ran over and go into the rear tire. A GL1800 rear tire with 10K plus just seems to suck up nails on my bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts