GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-
I am a new guy from Cedar Park Tx, just a short jog north of Austin. I am looking at trading my 08 Zx14 in for a new 12 Level 1 Goldwing. This all came about after my wife took a ride on my step father's 02 wing. :).

I have never ridden anything like a wing having been a sport bike guy (VFR 750, Cbr 1100, Zx14) so my question is can anyone give me a comparison of sorts maybe coming from a sport bike to the wing?

Cheers
K

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Corvette to Cadillac comes to mind.

One is built for speed and handling with some creature comforts the other is built for creature comforts with some speed and handling.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Hello-
I am a new guy from Cedar Park Tx, just a short jog north of Austin. I am looking at trading my 08 Zx14 in for a new 12 Level 1 Goldwing. This all came about after my wife took a ride on my step father's 02 wing. :).

I have never ridden anything like a wing having been a sport bike guy (VFR 750, Cbr 1100, Zx14) so my question is can anyone give me a comparison of sorts maybe coming from a sport bike to the wing?

Cheers
K
Be prepared for snooze rides :). The Wing is a good LD bike that does many things well but nothing outstanding except two-up. Your wife should love it and you will learn to say "yes dear". It will do a good job of pulling a trailer and it is as reliable as the day is long but a sport bike it ain't. Oh forgot to add...it is as ugly as granny panties.

After all that, I will likely be riding a Wing as long as I can get her off the kickstand.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bud as I say to all my motorcycle friends. Keep your 14 and buy a goldwing. I have a 02 Pearl Mystic Black ZX12r and love it. I test rode a GW one day went home and started looking on the net and found White Pearl an 08 brand new. If you can afford it keep both and ride like you stole the pair.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i was on the zx14/conny board (still am) and owned a 1200 bandit. i bought the 1250 HEaVILY MODDED bandit over the 14. that being said, i loved the bandit but long distance--15.5 hours in one leg--was hard on the body but still fun. i'd been on this board for sever months investigting trailers. so with lack of storage and long rides in the future, i traded for the '12 wing. used wings were totally expensive and had that old guy look to them so i opted for the new look '12. it's different in every way from all my previous bikes, but still fun. it rides the twisty's without effort and probably as fast as you would have ridden on the 14. starting from a dead stop is harder and coming to a complete stop is harder. everything else is great! i bought the 12 for the wife, her comfort. for me, was the ability to load it up for twisties and camping. the cary capacity of the wing is less than my bandit with hard bags which was disapponting. so a trailer will be required.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I ride with a friend who owns a 14 and an 11.

He buys new rear tires at 3,000 to 3,200 miles. You will not buy that often. My first, stock tires went 11,700 and others go further and shorter distances on different tires.

He does ride to the beach with us (300 miles), but that is very near his limit. He is 53 and has been on sport sport/touring for the last 23 years and has no intention of changing soon.

You will miss some aspects of the 14, but the Goldwing will give you new ideas also.

I hope you find the balance you are looking for.

Ronnie

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I would not go with the 12. Slightly used to new 09 or 10 will do you just fine.

Keep in mind I have over 200,000 between my 06 and 07 wings and I just did a bit of spirited riding on the 2012 yesterday (Friday). I will avoid the 2012 design as long as I can, but that's me.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Never had a ZX-14 but I rode a ZX-11 for years...no much in common with the GL1800.

Both are motorcycles, both have two wheels, both convert hydrocarbons to carbon dioxide and water. Beyond that they don't feel similar.

I liked the ZX-11 but I love the GL1800.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Keep the ZX14 and buy an older GL1800. I have played the super sport bike / touring bike swap way too much. Currently own a well modified ZZR1200 and there is no substitute for that power (dyno of 184 rwhp) or the handling for the money. You will miss the 1-up rocket blast feeling of the 14. For 2-up touring, nothing beats the wing. My wife liked the BMW 1200 better than the wing but after last years debacle (couldn't find a dealer willing to replace tire on my 2700 mile road trip) it will be a wing that I add to the stable next to my ZZR. My wife understands (finally) the reason for more than one bike in the garage. Good luck.

G

·
Have had two wings - 04 and 09 and an 06 - ZX14. As others have said, two different animals completely. For as large as the wing is, it is pretty fast, but nothing beats the adrenaline rush of 14. I even have a modified corvette right now and it does not compare.

14 is comfortable for a sport bike, nimble, great brakes, way fast, and reliable and fun to ride.

Wing is comfortable for 2 up, has tons of creature comforts, great protection, reliable and fun to ride.

Be nice to have an apple and an orange :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Be prepared for snooze rides :). The Wing is a good LD bike that does many things well but nothing outstanding except two-up. Your wife should love it and you will learn to say "yes dear". It will do a good job of pulling a trailer and it is as reliable as the day is long but a sport bike it ain't. Oh forgot to add...it is as ugly as granny panties.

After all that, I will likely be riding a Wing as long as I can get her off the kickstand.
:agree:

I wouldn't change a word of what Ken said.

If you want to compare a wing to a sport bike, don't.
On the other hand, if you want to compare a wing to a sport touring bike...

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I have always been a sport bike guy at heart, Get the Wing... keep the Kaw. I know from experience. If you had never ridden the ZX14 you would think the GL1800 was the fastest ever... but it ain't even close. Comfy? Yes. Acceleration? OK for what it was designed for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts