GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just NW of DC. Are there any good mechanics anywhere nearby? Specific tech at a dealer, smart guy in his shed, someone in the know.

After a few more scotches, maybe tomorrow, I'll search back through for good answers to the question already asked. Heck, I may have posted the question before, but I don't recall a great answer. I'm a big fan of engaging experts when appropriate. Now is such a time. The one thing I do like to see in my experts is expertise.

I have been unable to solve my woes here Clutch slipping. Triage advice?. And I'm not thrilled about blindly engaging the nose picker on duty to try to push the bike further down the road than I did with the help of so many good folk here.

I have had several bad experiences with fools in the immediate area that I seek to avoid. I travelled for the last service work I had done to Twigg's in Hagerstown. Although it was not particularly demanding technically, I give them credit for doing a thoroughly adequate job.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Over the course of time, I have seen several favorable comments here about Twiggs. Since you are a previous customer, maybe call the service dept. and have a chat. Might be able to get a feel if they are familiar with the problem.

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
I mentioned this back on post #23 of your previous thread on clutch problems, but I'll repeat it again here.

REMOVE YOUR CLUTCH LEVER. It may simply be installed improperly and the push rod for the master cylinder is not fully seated in the HOLE in the BRASS pivot bushing. Also, you never mentioned, but do you have aftermarket clutch levers installed?

Remove the 10mm bolt on the bottom of the pivot pin bolt, and then unscrew the pivot bolt. Remove the lever, and push the small brass insert out of it and CLEAN it off. You'll see a small hole in the brass insert. When reinstalled, the push rod for the master cylinder MUST fit into this hole. If it isn't in the hole, you will have the exact symptoms you are reporting. It takes 10 minutes to check.

·
Registered
123 Posts
BigBird: I appreciate your frustration with DC Metro Shops. However, I know several that will take their bikes up to Twiggs in Hagerstown. Stay away from Rockville for sure. I bought mine at Pete's in Baltimore, but if there is something I can't handle, it would go to Twiggs.

Hope this helps!

Rhys in Clarksville Maryland area.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is Rockville even open any more? Even pre-Covid.

Never mind. They're dead to me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is Rockville even open any more? Even pre-Covid.

Never mind. They're dead to me.
I think they consolidated to the Crofton Location.

Let me know if you would ever like to put a Maryland Forum Group together. We have such great roads in rural Maryland!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought Rockville was a satellite of Crofton when it first opened but then they split.

There's a MD forum here Maryland (MD). I tried. A few good guys. But overall a ghost town.

I've seen a few Goldwings at the Poolesville Bikes & Breakfast 1st & 3rd Sun of mont 9-11am opposite the McDonalds. I go maybe one in 4 or 10.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I am not finding anything saying what year bike your talking about, that is so important when asking questions on where to take one to get worked on. A lot of people wont work on the 1500's anymore and if its the 1800's it is again important to know if its 2001-2010 or 2012-2017 or Newer?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not finding anything saying what year bike your talking about, that is so important when asking questions on where to take one to get worked on. A lot of people wont work on the 1500's anymore and if its the 1800's it is again important to know if its 2001-2010 or 2012-2017 or Newer?
'06

Though any Goldwing guru referral is welcome and they can surgically disqualify themselves.

I've got more to go on for DIY thanks to the VERY generous sharing of insight from our community's resident experts. Unfortunately, none of them local to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts