GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I can not start a new topic in the tech board forum.

Rode my 1800 to work this morning, parked and walked into work. Walk out to the bike this afternoon and it turns over great but won't start. Is there a fuel pump shut-off or something that could have tripped if someone bumped the bike? Its an 05 with about 16000 miles. Never any problems. I've checked the obvious things that get bumped (kill switch, reverse etc.) What am I missing or what could have just died?

No time now. I've got a ride home. I'll have to look at it tomorrow. Let me know if there is anything obvious I should start with.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Even though it is turning over does not mean the battery is putting out enough amps, you might give it a boost via cables just to get you home.
That would be my first guess after reading many similar threads.

H

·
0 Posts
I would agree with the battery guess. I've never had it happen on the wing, but on several cars.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Even though it is turning over does not mean the battery is putting out enough amps, you might give it a boost via cables just to get you home.
That would be my first guess after reading many similar threads.
Maybe someone gave a twist to the kill switch (above the throttle on the right handlebar)?

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
injector pump:shrug:

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Only time mine won't start is a gathering of members. Some folks think it's funny to diable your bike. That just plain dumb! Sorry to hear about yours.

P.S. They got me both times.;););)

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Sounds like the battery to me

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hazel - The new sig pic is way cool!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great, a different battery or jumper cables are easy enough to try.

If that is not the problem, is there an easy way to diagnose the fuel pump?
I can check for spark easily enough. I'm looking for anything I can try myself before having it hauled to the dealer. I have never been stranded by a motorcycle in 25 years of riding, so maybe its my turn.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Turn on the cruise and see if the orange cruise light comes on. Are you hearing the fuel pump run when the key is switched on? If not then you have a problem with your bank angle sensor or a blown fuse.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The other day after gassing up, mine wouldn't start. (A guy who told me he was a BMW fan was standing there watching, of course) After fiddling around for several minutes, it turned out that the reverse switch was pressed in just a little bit, but not enough to turn the light on. WTF? I don't know if I bumped it or somebody bumped it for me when I went in to pay for gas.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If it is cranking at normal speed, I would bet against the battery, but would jump it to make sure.

If it still does not start, something is stopping the firing circuit. Kill switch does that. Reverse switch does that. There are other safety switches - sidestand kill switch, etc. Just because of the setting of the switch looks good does not mean it is good. Switches go south, also. As do ECMs, fuel pumps, etc.

Get out the Honda Repair manual and follow the check list for not starting. It eliminates the problems one by one.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Fred H's bain, the wire-post underneath the right hand cover, an inch above the rear master cylinder. Make sure it is tight.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Fred H's bain, the wire-post underneath the right hand cover, an inch above the rear master cylinder. Make sure it is tight.
If that wire is loose, the bike won't crank over.

My first question is, can you hear the fuel pump run and pressurize the fuel rail when you turn on the key? If not, then you know to start troubleshooting the fuel pump system. I would start by checking all the fuses. Fuse 19 controls the ignition system and fuse 17 controls the fuel pump on the 2002 model. These fuse numbers may be different depending on year model though, so consult the manual.

The other possible suspect would be a bad G1 ground under the fuel tank, though this normal makes other things act up, so you should have multiple symptoms if this is the cause, since many systems on the bike go through it.

I also agree that even though it seems to crank over fine, to check the battery or jump it just to make sure the voltage isn't dropping too low for it to start.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
If it is cranking at normal speed, I would bet against the battery, but would jump it to make sure.

If it still does not start, something is stopping the firing circuit. Kill switch does that. Reverse switch does that. There are other safety switches - sidestand kill switch, etc. Just because of the setting of the switch looks good does not mean it is good. Switches go south, also. As do ECMs, fuel pumps, etc.

Get out the Honda Repair manual and follow the check list for not starting. It eliminates the problems one by one.
FYI, Bike will not crank with the kill switch enabled.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today all is normal.

Well, good news, bad news.

The good news is, the bike fired right up this morning. I had brought with tools, jumper cables and a Fluke meter. Put the key in to see if any battery was left, hit the switch and vroom, started as quick and normal as ever. At least I didn't have to have it hauled to a dealer only to have a bill for telling me everything is fine and nothing could be found.

Bad news, now I'm leary as to what it is and when it will happen again.

I highly doubted the battery because the engine turned over as fast as ever. I could hear the fuel pump make its normal sounds. I flipped and pressed any and all switchs I could think of (cruise, reverse, kill), most prevent the starter from cranking the engine. I leaned the bike from side to side, kickstand up and down, put bike on center-stand, clicked through all gears and back into neutral, crank starter with clutch in while in various gears, bump engine in gear by pushing, nothing. I put the bike back on the center stand and rode home with a friend. This morning it fired up without touching anything other than the key and starter button. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It helped to make sure I prepared all the stuff I needed to throw in the car today.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Batteries will many times recover after you let them rest a few hours. My bet is that you have a battery problem. You need to load test it. My suspicion is that the voltage is dropping too much under load.
I just had the same problem/symptoms. I ordered a new battery from HAL.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts