GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, its been a while since I posted here. I got my CT about a month ago and 2000+ miles later, its looking very promising. I've pretty much done nothing but try and bring out the bad in the tire but the Kuhmo is holding up well. Here's my buddy and I at the track on Monday. I'm the one following wth the camera.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a video of me with the CT with my buddy following/filming.

There is no doubt in my mind that the CT is a very viable, safe, reliable, and tough alternative to the MT. You get more mileage to boot.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Awesome videos with great riding! :bow: Your buddy had a tough time keeping up with you. It was great to see two Wings handling like that on the track. I see ya'll ran up on a group of sportbikes in the 1st video.

Did you find yourself having to force the bike over using the CT or was the handling the same as a MC tire?

I plan on getting a CT soon and I'm excited! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
:lol: He was just a dot in the distance on the second video. Hehehe

Depending on the CT, the difference in countersteering required over a MT will vary. Between the Pirelli and Kumho of the 195/55 RF variety, the Kumho felt like it required half as much effort to turn as the Pirelli. I feel like the Kumho is very similar to a MT and so far my favorite CT.

Awesome videos with great riding! :bow: Your buddy had a tough time keeping up with you. It was great to see two Wings handling like that on the track. I see ya'll ran up on a group of sportbikes in the 1st video.

Did you find yourself having to force the bike over using the CT or was the handling the same as a MC tire?

I plan on getting a CT soon and I'm excited! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Excellent video and with a car tire here you go and they said you'll crash and burn NOT:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Nice Videos Dookoo. Thanks for posting them. Man, in video #2 you checked out....how in the heck are we supposed to watch the crash & burn if you are in the next county;) Thanks again...keep flogging them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
:lol: He was just a dot in the distance on the second video. Hehehe

Depending on the CT, the difference in countersteering required over a MT will vary. Between the Pirelli and Kumho of the 195/55 RF variety, the Kumho felt like it required half as much effort to turn as the Pirelli. I feel like the Kumho is very similar to a MT and so far my favorite CT.

Thanks for the info! Sounds very encouraging.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
DooKoo, I watched the second video first to watch the C/T on the track. Well I liked your little black dot!:thumbup::lol: Then I watched the first one. It looked to me that you could have passed the whole group that was in front if you weren't filming your friend!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For me, there was no adaptation to the CT's. There were minor differences low speed but for high speed and the twisties, there were no issues and my confidence kept increasing. The CT's never, ever skipped out of line or lost any grip while leaned over. There is no place like a track to steadily keep the Wing layed over at maximum (Scraping hard parts) and keeping the edge of the tire contact patch under constant stess. The CT passed with flying colors. I only get 4k out of rear MT's for the way I ride which is why I even considered a CT. I had my doubts that the CT would handle as well but those concerns have been fully put to rest. I have 2k on the Kuhmo's and they look brand new. I had my reservations and had to prove it to myself but I can say now that I am a true Darksider! Thanks everyone for this forum.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Thank you DooKoo!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If you sent this to Stu Oltman, most of the GWRRA leadership, a whole host of other nay sayers, tied them down and made them watch it, they still wouldn't believe it. Great video.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Great Video, I really enjoyed it! I was cheering you on to pass the sportbike group!! Maybe on the next video??? :thumbup:

No problem from the Track owners about running a CT on the track or did you just not point that out to them?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Great report and videos.
I'm not a peg-scraper, but I've found the Kumho to be the best gripping tire I've ever run. It positively inspires confidence as its safety package comes through.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great Video, I really enjoyed it! I was cheering you on to pass the sportbike group!! Maybe on the next video??? :thumbup:

No problem from the Track owners about running a CT on the track or did you just not point that out to them?
At first they said no to CT's. I asked for a control rider to follow me and after a couple of laps he just laughed and gave the big thumbs up. Trust me, there are a lot of believers from the track now. Nothing like, "Seeing is Believing". I was lapping the track about 1:25 slower than on my track bike cause if I didn't slow down my corner entry speed metal was fly'n everywhere.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you sent this to Stu Oltman, most of the GWRRA leadership, a whole host of other nay sayers, tied them down and made them watch it, they still wouldn't believe it. Great video.:thumbup:
The way I look at it, I hope it will inspire more confidence in those who do run CT's. For many, the world is still flat and there ain't nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks for the posts, vids and write up Dookoo. Nice job :yes1:

·
Registered
611 Posts
I wonder if the guys on the crotch rockets were saying WTF, when looking back at the two old mans bikes. :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wonder if the guys on the crotch rockets were saying WTF, when looking back at the two old mans bikes. :)
Ha ha, I heard them talking in the pits..."Whatever you do, just don't get passed by those Goldwings, you'll never live it down". I've got pics too but they won't upload???

1 - 20 of 46 Posts