GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three of us on Wings were driving in southwest New Mexico and southeast Arizona very near Mexico this weekend. We were headed to Tombstone for the Helldorado Days. We encountered millions of desert locust for about 15 miles. What looked like dirt clods on the two lane highway were locust. Joe was leading us and as his Wing passed though the locust on the road, it was like a boat creating waves on water. Many of the locust jumped only to be caught by our Wings. Joe caught more locust than the two of us following him. These things were big, almost 3 inches in length. One hit the top of my helmet and it sounded like a rock hitting the helmet. These things created an incredible mess on the front of the Wings. Besides large splats of locust organs covering the front of the Wing, legs, heads and bodies were lodged in every nook and crannie on the front of the Wings. We don't have too many bugs out here since it is so dry, but I just discovered desert locust. I thought these desert locust were specialized only to Africa, Asia and the middle east.

Have any of you in the southwest ever encountered these desert locust?
The locusts we ran through is pictured at the bottom of the pic.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Did they look like this?

Fuzzy & Suzi ran into a swarm of these on their way to California this summer and they made quite a mess on their bikes.

I don't remember where they ran into them, but it was somewhere in the SW...

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
I ran into a bunch last summer between Reno and Wendover Nv. Looked like the highway was moving as they walked across. Didn't have a problem with them airborn, as I was the only vehicle out there.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
That was Hwy 50 in Nevada Jon, the "Lonliest Highway." The things were so thick on the road it was slick. I learned the hard wat not to get too close to the vehicle in front of you when going through them.

The bugs were called Mormon Crickets. They sure made a mess out of the bike and the smell was.... BAD :!: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, they didn't look like this.

I saved some body parts and matched them up to the schistocera gregaria, commonly known as the desert locust in the bottom of my locust pic. These things are native to Africa, Asia and the Middle East, not southwest America.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hardway said:
Nope, they didn't look like this.

I saved some body parts and matched them up to the schistocera gregaria, commonly known as the desert locust in the bottom of my locust pic. These things are native to Africa, Asia and the Middle East, not southwest America.
I had a similiar encounter about two years ago, but it was in Texas. I live in New Mexico and never had that experience here.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Nope the only thing I 've seen in Arizona is just good old fashion grasshoppers. Weekend before you were down there I was all over that area and saw none.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts