GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to an old retired 18 wheeler driver who told me all he ever used to balance the wheels in his 18 wheeler was 3 golf balls. He reckoned 2 balls would do for a mc tire. Anyone ever heard of this?

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
NEVER HEARD OF ANYBODY WITH 3 BALLS :shrug:;) TRY AND THROW THAT OUT ON TRUCKERS FORUM N SEE IF GET RESPONCE !

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
NEVER HEARD OF ANYBODY WITH 3 BALLS :shrug:;) TRY AND THROW THAT OUT ON TRUCKERS FORUM N SEE IF GET RESPONCE !
A transgender with cataracts.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had a friend that put them in his truck tires, but after looking at them when he had a flat, I wouldn't put them in mine. They were worn down and almost square, that can't be good for the inside of your tire. I have also tried the balancing powder and that worked petty good.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I use 5 ping pong balls in mine!

·
Registered
19,051 Posts
CENTRAMATIC
They balance with every rotation of the tire

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You can use Golf Balls when you lose your Marbles.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I am unfamiliar with AirSoft pellets, but hear they have been used with success in balancing MC tires, although they certainly will not pass through the Schrader valve. Take about 2 or 3 ounces of them and wrap loosely in a single ply of toilet tissue. Mount one side of the tire onto the rim, lay the package into the inside of the tire before seating the upper bead. I use Honda center mounted weights myself.

prs

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I was talking to an old retired 18 wheeler driver who told me all he ever used to balance the wheels in his 18 wheeler was 3 golf balls. He reckoned 2 balls would do for a mc tire. Anyone ever heard of this?
Here's my question.

If you use golf balls in your tires to balance them, should happen to go down . . .

. . . can you call for a mulligan?:shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
I am unfamiliar with AirSoft pellets, but hear they have been used with success in balancing MC tires, although they certainly will not pass through the Schrader valve. Take about 2 or 3 ounces of them and wrap loosely in a single ply of toilet tissue. Mount one side of the tire onto the rim, lay the package into the inside of the tire before seating the upper bead. I use Honda center mounted weights myself.prs
I had a friend that put them in his truck tires, but after looking at them when he had a flat, I wouldn't put them in mine. They were worn down and almost square, that can't be good for the inside of your tire. I have also tried the balancing powder and that worked petty good.
Back in the 60's and 70's, I did know fellow truckers who used the golf balls. When they'd bring their tires in for replacement, there usually wasn't much left of the golf ball, and overall was a mess.

The big problem with golf balls (pun intended), and also airsoft pellets, is the lack of durability of the items. Golf balls are worse, not to mention the mass involved. DynaBeads are ceramic, dang near indestructable, lightweight individually, and easily gravitates to the rotational stability point. Air soft pellets work also, but are not as durable as the beads. Neither one will cause an issue with TPMS systems.

I personally use the DyanBeads, works for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts