GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 02 Orange one from the dealer September of '12. They put on a new set of E3s and off I went. I didn't know if it was because I had been away from riding for 20 years or the size of the bike but it was the scariest bike I had been on, ever. The front end would just go away mid turn and at low speed its like the bike was folding in half. The rear would jar the wife so bad it hurt my ribs when she recovered.
After a little more than 7k on the tires, and wanting to fix the handling I put a '12 shock and a Progressive spring on it along with Monotubes in the front. That fixed the folding feeling and improved the ride all around but I still couldn't hit the corners like I wanted and feel I was stuck to the road. Another 500 miles later the tires were both already badly cupped and the front had a ridge down the middle.

Having read the Q&A about the Darkside when Hoosier Daddy was considering it, I decided it was time for me to do the same. An Alpine RF and a BT45 went on, and I am very pleased and so is the wife. I don't know if it is better grip or a change in geometry but the handling improved double what the suspension upgrade did, though it needed the suspension badly. In the rain yesterday I actually wanted the car in front of me to speed up because the tires felt so much better. The bumps are absorbed 10x better. So much so the wife even said the CT was the best improvement yet. Still playing with the pressures but I am very happy.

One question though, I need a TPMS. I wanted a Tire Watch but it mounts on the inside and I really don't want to have to remount the tires to put the sensor in. What TPMS mounts on the cap and the display is waterproof? Can a cap sensor measure the temperature?

Thanks for the help you guys have given to us new guys. From now on I will be a Darkside apostle.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I use the Doran system & have been very happy with it...since the Smart Tire system isn't any longer available for motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
http://wingstuff.com/products/33029-enhanced-tiregard-tpms-2-wheel-motorcycle

Tim, I ended up going with this TireGard. Does what you describe except that the display is NOT water proof. I mounted the display to the "Goldwing" emblem above the gas cap with Velcro. When it rains I just take the monitor off and put in glove box. Also when I did my research most TireGard users said not to trust the temp reading as it is not as accurate as an internally mounted sensor.

I can say the the tire pressure readings are dead on. I frequently verify the TireGard readings with my digital pressure gage and they have always been the same.

Also, who did you get to mount your Alpin? I used Adams Motorsports on SR135 as recommended by another Hoosier Darksider.

Take care,
Dan

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, who did you get to mount your Alpin? I used Adams Motorsports on SR135 as recommended by another Hoosier Darksider.
Dan,

Greencastle Custom Cycle mounted the Alpine. He had no problem doing it but he made sure I knew it was not his fault if I didn't like the handling. He said that he has done CTs for many people. $20 per tire included changing the stems. I didn't notice any marks on the rims and did the job pretty quick. Thanks for the tip on the tire guard.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts