GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a minute, I'm pulling my motor to install Honda's latest version of their transmission. I'll be evaluating my engine case and other parts to see what all needs replaced to install their 2014 transmission fix into my 2007 Wings. We've carefully evaluated all their new parts, and if it all works, it may be a cheaper fix then custom undercutting. If so, a tranny repair may be $1000 less.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
So are Honda's new gears undercut?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
So by your own words..........the new three gears are not undercut.

Not interested, if one is going to go to the trouble to bust the case and do all that work, I want undercut gears in there.

Yep.......not interested in the rumors of unproven design.

Let us wait and see how things work and how they play out before jumping to any grand decisions. It is a bit early ya think? A few rumors and away we go............

Amazing.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Greg are you trying to tease us with your posts about Honda's NEW transmission. Why don't you tell us exactly what is so different about the trans. Spill the beans. :roll::roll:

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
THATS WHAT THERE PUTTING IN NEW 2015 !!:bow::bow:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is the 2014 transmission different than previous years? I wasn't aware of a change with the transmission.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
So by your own words..........the new three gears are not undercut. .
I didn't get it that way.
.. He does not post much anymore and you've forgotten how to read "greg-ese".. Lol

He said:
"We've carefully evaluated all their new parts, and if it all works, it may be a cheaper fix then custom undercutting. If so, a tranny repair may be $1000 less."

Which means:
"We've carefully evaluated all their NEW UNDERCUT parts, and if it all works, it may be a cheaper fix TO USE THE NEW HONDA UNDERCUT GEARS then TO HAVE custom UNDERCUTTING DONE ON THE OLD GEARS. If so, a tranny repair may be $1000 LESS (that is, the cost to have the old style gears cut) ."

Personally, I'm glad he's doing all the work to test this on his own bike and not asking for volunteers ..
.. it may be a good alternative down the road.

Thank you Greg.

Dennis

Reactions: raw2210

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wasn't aware Honda changed anything with the 2014 trans parts.

Would love to know what is different and what VIN range have the "new" parts.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I didn't get it that way.
.. He does not post much anymore and you've forgotten how to read "greg-ese".. Lol

He said:
"We've carefully evaluated all their new parts, and if it all works, it may be a cheaper fix then custom undercutting. If so, a tranny repair may be $1000 less."

Which means:
"We've carefully evaluated all their NEW UNDERCUT parts, and if it all works, it may be a cheaper fix TO USE THE NEW HONDA UNDERCUT GEARS then TO HAVE custom UNDERCUTTING DONE ON THE OLD GEARS. If so, a tranny repair may be $1000 LESS (that is, the cost to have the old style gears cut) ."

Personally, I'm glad he's doing all the work to test this on his own bike and not asking for volunteers ..
.. it may be a good alternative down the road.

Thank you Greg.

Dennis

Thanks for all you do, Greg. Dennis, thanks for being a voice of reason.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
My GUESS is the new gears are not undercut, they probably just tightened up the manufacturing specifications . :shrug:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
My GUESS is the new gears are not undercut, they probably just tightened up the manufacturing specifications . :shrug:
Your guess is as good as mine (probably better!).. :)

He is so dedicated to this undercutting as a solution I just can't see him pulling out his own undercut gears unless he thinks he's found something better (or the same, at a lower cost).. Let us know when you see him next week.
:shrug:

Dennis

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine (probably better!).. :)

He is so dedicated to this undercutting as a solution I just can't see him pulling out his own undercut gears unless he thinks he's found something better (or the same, at a lower cost).. Let us know when you see him next week.
:shrug:

Dennis
He might just be wanting to offer a second, cheaper option to his customers.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Thank you Gregg.............YES! Please let us know what you find............ This can get interesting :bow::bow:

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
He might just be wanting to offer a second, cheaper option to his customers.

If there's a cheaper option, who would go for the more expensive one?

·
Banned
334 Posts
So by your own words..........the new three gears are not undercut.

Not interested, if one is going to go to the trouble to bust the case and do all that work, I want undercut gears in there.

Yep.......not interested in the rumors of unproven design.

Let us wait and see how things work and how they play out before jumping to any grand decisions. It is a bit early ya think? A few rumors and away we go............

Amazing.

The amazing part is he is trying to help, What have you done??
Yep.......Still spewing you ignorance.

·
Banned
146 Posts
Kind of sounds like Greg is offering to do the guinea pig thing with his own ride. Not sure why anyone would try and cut him down for that But as usual somebody is not happy without trying to.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
If there's a cheaper option, who would go for the more expensive one?
Maybe the same people that choose an upper level Wing over the base model.
I made that comment on the assumption that the new gears are manufactured at a tighter tolerance, but not undercut.
I agree that if they are undercut then there would be no point in offering both.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts