GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Family! I've been on this board for 5 years in anticipation of getting my first Gold Wing, which was my wife's desire for me when saw the saddlebags, trunk & windshield I put on my VTX1800, she said "Why don't you just get a Gold Wing?"

Well, 5 years later & 2 years after my riding partner & wife of almost 34 years died from Stage 4 Breast Cancer and 10 Tumors of Cancer In The Brain, I finally got what I really wanted & what she really wanted for me: a Black 2003 Gold Wing, my first wing, as a pre-55th birthday present to myself! Happy Birthday to me! :excited::cool: :yes1::hb2::lol::biker:

Now here's my question: this bike has just over 100,000 miles on it, and I usually only use synthetic oil in all my vehicles - if it isn't already using synthetic at this point, would it be too late to convert it? I've heard that converting on an engine that's used fossil oils for a long time can cause problems with the seals & result in minor to major leaks where there was no oil leak problem before. I don't know the history of this bike yet, so I'm wondering if I should try synthetic on my 1st change, but any advice from my "Legion Of Wing Experts" would be appreciated!

Oh, here's my "New (To Me) Gold Wing":

Attachments

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Synthetic will clean your engine out, any gunk that is keeping the seals from leaking will be flushed away.

That is the only reason that synthetic might cause a leak.
If the bike has been maintained well, there should not be a problem switching over.

·
Registered
693 Posts
oil

I don't know why it would start leaking. I did just what you want to do and do it with all my rides. I also have the same year wing and use AMSOIL syn. I convert to syn as soon as I get a new ride ,bike or auto.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know why it would start leaking. I did just what you want to do and do it with all my rides. I also have the same year wing and use AMSOIL syn. I convert to syn as soon as I get a new ride ,bike or auto.
I have an auto repair shop and I'm an Amsoil dealer. I also have a an 03 that I converted to synthetic when I got it.The bike was well maintained and I have the service records so I had no problem changing over. I have seen cars start leaking if they didn't start their life on synthetic oil. So the procedure is start with a blend half and half then next time 3 to 1 and if no leaks then full on. It will take a while but watch for leaks while doing this and you should be fine.

·
Registered
387 Posts
:hb2: Happy Birthday to The Wing Commander!
You bought yourself a very nice B'day gift. :congrats:
So sad to hear about your wife's passing. Her desire was to see you with a Wing, so whenever you swing your leg over it smile and think of her.

Synthetic oil will not hurt your Wing. If it starts to leak a little, switch back to a high grade dyno oil, or you might opt to use a higher viscosity synthetic oil that might help prevent a leak from forming. I know Moble 1 has a 15W 50 weight oil that might be the ticket. The recommended weight by Honda is 10W 30, with the change interval every 8,000 miles.

Also, a lot of the Wingers use the Wal-Mart stocked Rotella T6 5W 40 synthetic oil (gallon jug) and the Super Tech 6607 oil filter. Together they cost less than $25.

Enjoy your new ride. Black is a very good color.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice: I'm gonna try to find out if it's already got synthetic in it, but if not, I will probably do the gradual switch & observe carefully. And I won't even dare to ask which synth oil: I'll make that choice, because I know all will work. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Welcome to the board brother,OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Black N Chrome!

My Renae so enjoyed riding with me because after 30+ straight years of having at least one minor child in the household (we had 4 children born over 3 decades, and the eldest was 21 when the youngest was born), ANY TIME we could get away & be close was precious! I'm sure she's smiling in Heaven for me because I'm surely smiling here on Earth, even though I miss her behind me! She's in the place where smiling is easy.

Yes, I like black, too! I got my first black vehicle, a loaded '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee, last year and I'm really happy with that, too!

Thanks for the birthday wish, but this was an early birthday gift: my day is in early September.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Magenta

Thanks for the welcome, but I've been a relatively quiet member of the board since 2006. I just finally got my first Gold Wing on Monday, 8/8/2011, so that's part of my celebration now. I see you're close by; maybe I'll see you next month at Lansdale Bike Night! Let me know if there are any Wing Owner meetings or rides in the area: I'll see if I can attend!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.
My wing was also my wifes idea. We did allot of traveling on a 750 Spirit that held up surprising well for 22,000 + miles. We ran into a couple at the PA grand canyon on a wing, that was from Chicago. After talking to them about how comfortable it was, and hearing there stories of traveling in the snow etc. I think that was all my wife had to here.
So we now own a 2003 Illusion blue abs with 14,500 miles and more stuff on it, then I know what to do with.
If your out in the Lancaster area give me a shout.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ToyFarm
I honestly wanted a Gold Wing from the beginning, but wound up "settling" for a 2002 VTX1800C, "The Silver Bullet", as my first motorcycle after passing the MSF course offered free in PA and getting my license in 2003.

The VTX1800 was a great bike, but since I rode it to work & carried a laptop with me, I put hard lockable saddlebags from Tsukayu and a trunk from eBay (see attached picture) on it. She just wanted me to have what I really wanted, and now, I've got it!

I may be out in Lancaster in October: I'll try to contact you then.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Welcome. :thumbup:

My '04 has 205,000 on it and has always had synthetic oil used...until about 10k ago. It started to use about a half a quart in 2500 miles, so, after checking with some very knowledgeable folks about engine oils, I am now using a Castrol Synthetic-Blend designed for high mileage engines.

So far, so good. No issues. I figure it can't hurt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@ Trialsman
As I thought about maintenance of this bike, I knew that leakage in a high mileage engine was a possibility, especially if I switch to synthetic. Thanks for the Castrol Blend tip for "special" engines like your & mine! I'll definitely keep it in mind since I may have to use it! Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
My '03 has 180K on it. I got it 3 months ago with 177K and this was my first oil change. I used Mobil 1 High Mileage Synthetic bought at Wal-Mart...5 quart jug for about $25. Seems ok so far!

·
Registered
279 Posts
John, that's a beautiful bike! Welcome to the forum. We're glad you're here!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the welcome. I'm so excited to be here as a Gold Wing Owner! I'm waiting on so many parts either to arrive or to be put on (Scorpio Alarm System, Color-Matched Spoiler & a Slipstreamer Tall Vented Windshield) that I've got a perpetual smile, even wider than usual! Oh, what a feeling!!! :thumbup::excited::lol::cool:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If you are worried about leaks starting.......Mobil 1 has a synthetic for higher milage engines......Pretty much every Walmart carries it.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Mine isn't leaking anywhere, it's using it. Just a clarification.:yes1:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Synthetic oil doesn't have any more detergents in it than conventional oil so cleaning the sludge out and thus making the seals leak should not be an issue. Some gasoline engines (cars and motorcycles) that I have been around (though not many) have started using oil after the switch. In each case that I am aware of, however, switching back stopped the oil usage. I would recomend whatever oil you use, look at the label and make sure it meets the specs in your owners handbook for motorcycles with a clutch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts