GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for a tent and self inflating sleeping pad for a trip to Alaska next year, want a good waterproof tent that is very easy to set up and bear resistant, fits easy in the trunk or saddlebag

currently using a 7x7 dome tent, has served me very well but it does leak sometimes and a little easier setup would b nice

any good tips will b appreciated, THANKS

·
Registered
227 Posts
They don't make a bear resistant tent.Just got back from Alaska.Always remember.Bears are not tame,and never keep food near were you are sleeping,and go with someone who is slower runner than you.There is plenty of bears in Alaska and Canada but was never threatened.Enjoy and drive slow,you will do that in the end.promise John

·
Registered
762 Posts
I don't think there's a tent fabric made that is resistant to bear claws. :?

A good tent for wilderness camping is the Hennessy Hammock:
http://www.hennessyhammocks.com
You could easily set this up off the road aways if you can't find a regular campground.

I've been using one this season in campgrounds, and as long as I can find two trees 12-15' apart, it works great. It sets up quickly, comes down even faster, and is very comfortable (no back pain in the morning). A short thermorest mattress is fine for insulation on cold nights. I like the better view outside the hammock than regular tents, and the fly can be used away from the hammock for sheltering a campfire, etc.

I'm able to fit the hammock, fly, sleeping bag, mini pillow and thermorest in one saddlebag with room to spare.

I recommend the hex fly and "snakeskins".

Cheers,
Arthur

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
REI, has the best equipment for tents and bags. The MSR brand is very good, as well as the others. They carry way better stuff than Campmor IMO. I was just looking at some stuff there tonight. Need some thermal undies for the winter.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Cabela's is a great place to shop for camping gear. They have a broad selection and reasonable prices. REI has a lot of good stuff, but it's oriented more for the backpacker than anything else, and they're very pricey. It's quality stuff, no doubt, but spendy.

No tent will protect you from a bear, unless you camp out in a motel. Actually, bear problems in campgrounds in Alaska are very rare, so I wouldn't worry much about it. I lived and camped in Alaska for 51 years and never had one problem with bears.

You may want to take a spray cannister of bear repellent. It's OC pepper spray and works well, however you'll have trouble taking it over the border into Canada. I don't believe they allow that stuff to cross over anymore. You can buy it at any decent sporting goods store, though, so you could pick one up inside Canada.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My main concern would be to get a tent that will withstand the wind you may encounter along with any rain. Almost anything you buy at REI has a lifetime guarantee and you can return at any time.

Try their outlet store.

http://www.reioutlet.com

·
Registered
525 Posts
Canned Bear Food

CANNED BEAR FOOD

Had cleared a trail to ride horses near Yosemite. A few days later we
rode through only to find that a beekeeper had placed about a dozen bee
hives right next to our trail. We called him up and asked if he would mind
moving them over a few yards and pointing them the other way. With
some colorful language he told us that he could put his bees anywhere he
wanted.

A couple days later we get a call from the beekeeper, who using some
more colorful language, accuses us of trashing his bee hives. We told
him we had not been back up there and he may have a bear problem.
We rode up and sure enough a bear had smashed most of these beehives
like they were a box lunch.

We later hear that the beekeeper didn't believe us and drove his truck up
to stake out his hives and wait for the perpetrator. He must have dozed
off, but woke up when his truck began to shake and he found a bear on
the hood of his truck.

Subsequently, we found our horse trail to be unobstructed by bees.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try Thermorest for the self inflating pad. They have multiple types. I use the one with a silver thermal reflective layer. Warm. Even when camped on ice.

Be sure to get a tent with a bathtub design IE The floor comes up 6-10" on the sides before there is a seam. Full fly - IE to within 8-10" of the ground to ensure good water sheding without dripping on the main tent. This ensures good water proofing. You may want to consider looking at Mountian Equipment Co-op www.mec.ca Its a national Canadian co-operative with very good private brand products a realy good prices. It's all Canadian dollars. They do have mail order aswell. Good stuff for where you are going.

With the right tent the wind will not be a problem.

Re bears; I NEVER have food products of any type in my tent. The odour from months before will attract bears. Keep your food in an air tight / waterproof bag (like Sealine) to ensure reduced odours. You can also use these bags to hang food.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts