GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been very disappointed with the chrome quality on accessories installed on my 2002 Wicked Witch. The rotor covers and luggage rack are not looking as good as the parts which came from Honda. Do others of you have the same experience?? What are good aftermarket suppliers?? :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
I agree. I just purchased replacement parts for my wing. The chrome lower cowl and the saddlebag and trunk accent lights were of poor quality chrome. I find that the Honda genuine parts are of better quality chrome. More expensive but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've never had any chrome that was non-Honda last very long at all. I'm not sure how they chrome the plastic rotor covers but mine only lasted a few months before the pits started to show. The Kury stuff....well keep your reciept and maybe you can get them to replace it. The chrome over aluminum on the foot pegs started to get that wormy look after just a few months. I know the Honda Chrome that was on my GL1200 lasted and lasted...heck I polished through the chrome that was vapor thick on my trailer hitch when I first got it.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
No such thing as good chrome. :lol:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:shock: :wink:

My luggage rack chrome became an issue, I took it off the trunk lid, took all of what was left of the "chrome", primed it and painted it with black trunk bed liner paint. :wink:
Have had zero issues with my new paint scheme, fits in with the rest of what I'm doin' and will end up leavin' only the small amount of factory chrome on the Wing. 8)

My personal fix, doesn't fit most of the folks on here's idea of what's cool but I like bein' the different guy or screwball in the crowd. :lol:

Chrome isn't good for guys who ride their Wing as a daily driver in my personal opinion, but my disclaimer again doesn't jive with most folks on here. :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Has anyone found a good chromer who will work on a few pieces? I have had thoughts to have some of my original pieces chromed...

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,120 Posts
I have had no problems with any of my chrome. I do clean my chrome wheels and the front rotor covers quite a bit. I have noticed that parts like the chrome front rotor covers can get road grime and bug stains on them quite fast and you have to really stay on them cleaning and polishing them with some Honda spray polish. After two years of use, riding in rain and shine, my Kury chrome still looks new like. In a lot of cases the chrome will go south because it's simply not taking care of properly.

Chromed aluminum like the wheels will pit if it's not cleaned regularly, especially the back wheel . If you have chrome wheels you need to clean them every couple hundred miles with soap and water and never let your bike sit over the winter with the brake dust on the chrome wheel. Chrome wheels are very easy to clean, it only takes about 10 minutes to clean the chrome wheels. My chrome ****-O-Pegs after 3 years of use still look new like,but then again I clean them alot with some Honda spray wax.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm somewhat dismayed at the comments regarding chrome, especially Kuryakyn. I've had chrome accessories on all four of my bikes and I've been especially pleased at the quality of the Kuryakyns. They appear to have lots of depth and are especially well made. Maybe I baby my bike too much by keeping it garaged, cleaned after each ride of appreciable length, and waxed frequently. Maybe changing bikes every year has also helped?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts