GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good cooler with an insulated lid that holds the ice for a few days and will fit my Aluma trailer. Dimensions of the deck for it to sit in are 14 1/2 inches by 23 1/2 inches. That Coleman stainless steel 54 qt. model looks fantastic but it's way to large. What do you experienced trailer haulers suggest?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
When I bought my 08 Aluma from another Board member last year, it came with a Coleman Stainless cooler. Really looks nice. Much better than a plastic cooler. Mount it with the latch facing towards the rear....

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just looked at the yeti online....they look like nice coolers

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
YETI is for real the BEST out there but they are NOT cheap.

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I bought my 08 Aluma from another Board member last year, it came with a Coleman Stainless cooler. Really looks nice. Much better than a plastic cooler. Mount it with the latch facing towards the rear....
The Yeti looks great! I checked out the Coleman Stainless Steel cooler but it looks like it only comes in a 54 quart size, which is larger than the deck that Aluma supplied for a cooler. The deck size is 14 1/2 in. by 23 1/2 in. How did you work around the size difference?

·
Banned
226 Posts
I concur Igloo is crap, and yes they are made about 10 miles outside of Katy (use to be made in Houston where you live) and they are made by illegals. Even some of their ad's suggest you must know Spanish if you want the job. If you want a good cooler don't even look at Igloo.

That ol' caboose is probably Katy's main attraction Huh ? Talk about podunk! The sliding glass door is a nice touch too.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
We use the coleman marine extreme cooler...The marine model has metal hinges & goo carry handles.It works good for us..Had a party saturday mid afternoon put 3bags of ice in & I just went out and looked still has plenty of ice With water mixture..The key to coolers is how many times you open it..

As for the base we made a larger base..I will try to take pics after dinner for you..

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Here are some pics of the base I made..
You will see it is as wide as the trailer,so you fit a bigger cooler on it in a very secure manner it fits snug in between the trailer & front lip of the mount..

Also added D-Rings to it Large size,So it can be used with either bungees or ROK Straps..I like the Rok straps..Hope that helps you a little..

& if you are dead set on the best cooler I would look at an engel cooler..They were made in my hometown & are well made.But as I said I went with the marine extreme as I Just use it on the trailer & around the house & it works good for those purposes..If I was on my boat I would Have an ENGEL..

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Coleman cooler

I just purchased a stainless steel Coleman cooler for the front of my 2012 Aluma MCTXL. I thought that it was going to be to big, but when I got to cabellas and measured it in person, I realized it would fit. If I can figure out how to post a pic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Keysrider

Keysrider, I am not smart enough to post a pic. I have a 2012 Aluma that I have a Stainless Coleman on and it fits great, maybe even a little small. If you send me your e-mail, I will send you a couple of pics. Kelly

·
Registered
952 Posts
I purchased an "ICEKOOL" cooler when I got my new trailer. I needed an 11"x16" to fit the Revco Hitch Rack that I used to mount the cooler to the trailer tongue. The coolers are not as expensive as the Yeti but they work very well. On a recent trip up to Colorado, with 106 degree temps in West Texas, the ICEKOOL cooler would keep ice all day. Usually still had some ice the next morning.

http://icekool.net/

I ordered mine from:

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/category_167_Coolers_page_1.html

We have been very happy with it.

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After all is said and done I purchased the Yeti Roadie. Thanks for all the information.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Regarding coolers: Let's go under the assumption Gl1800 riders ain't exactly "adventure riders". If I were to guess 95% to 99% of us/them have never ridden further than 30 miles from a Walmart or 20 miles from a 7-11 that sells ice. These guys ain't what you think about when you think "extreme" .

I personally think it's a little silly to look for an "extreme" cooler. Three or four years ago I chose a Coleman stainless for several reasons. 1) It keeps things cool for a few days. 2) The stainless color goes well with my trailer/bike and it fits the cooler pan. It ain't white, dark blue or dark red. 3) It is pretty big inside and when I go camping it holds my light weight tent and down sleeping bag (14 pounds).

:shock: WHAT??? You don't load it up with ice, beer, sodas, milk and butter when you go camping??? He** no. I think it is STUPID to ride down the highway with a cooler weighted down sixty pounds of crap dam near on the trailer tongue. I don't go on a trip in my car with all that stuff in a cooler either. Stupid is as stupid does. Don't forget I live in the land of 7-11. When I get to a campground I either buy all that stuff there or at a local Walmart or 7-11. I carry a bottle of cold water in an insulated jacket with me in the trunk. I don't drink sodas that help make you fat and rot your teeth. I am a serious motorcyclist, not a "biker" or an escapee from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie set. I don't drink beer while I'M riding. I can load up on Corona and lime (and other camping needs) at the 7-11 near where I'm camping. If I'm just staying one night I don't buy as much.

So that's my logic for why I bought the cooler I did. HOWEVER, the next time I take the "Long Way Around" with Ewan and Charlie and am stuck out on the Road of Bones in Siberia I'll have an extreme cooler in the producers car so I can kick back and enjoy a beer. CHEERS mates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgLHO787-0

Plus: THIS is where you need a extreme cooler:

http://askyakutia.com/2009/12/video-long-way-round-road-of-bones-episode/

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Regarding coolers: Let's go under the assumption Gl1800 riders ain't exactly "adventure riders". If I were to guess 95% to 99% of us/them have never ridden further than 30 miles from a Walmart or 20 miles from a 7-11 that sells ice. These guys ain't what you think about when you think "extreme" .

I personally think it's a little silly to look for an "extreme" cooler. Three or four years ago I chose a Coleman stainless for several reasons. 1) It keeps things cool for a few days. 2) The stainless color goes well with my trailer/bike and it fits the cooler pan. It ain't white, dark blue or dark red. 3) It is pretty big inside and when I go camping it holds my light weight tent and down sleeping bag (14 pounds).

:shock: WHAT??? You don't load it up with ice, beer, sodas, milk and butter when you go camping??? He** no. I think it is STUPID to ride down the highway with a cooler weighted down sixty pounds of crap dam near on the trailer tongue. I don't go on a trip in my car with all that stuff in a cooler either. Stupid is as stupid does. Don't forget I live in the land of 7-11. When I get to a campground I either buy all that stuff there or at a local Walmart or 7-11. I carry a bottle of cold water in an insulated jacket with me in the trunk. I don't drink sodas that help make you fat and rot your teeth. I am a serious motorcyclist, not a "biker" or an escapee from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie set. I don't drink beer while I'M riding. I can load up on Corona and lime (and other camping needs) at the 7-11 near where I'm camping. If I'm just staying one night I don't buy as much.

So that's my logic for why I bought the cooler I did. HOWEVER, the next time I take the "Long Way Around" with Ewan and Charlie and am stuck out on the Road of Bones in Siberia I'll have an extreme cooler in the producers car so I can kick back and enjoy a beer. CHEERS mates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgLHO787-0

Plus: THIS is where you need a extreme cooler:

http://askyakutia.com/2009/12/video-long-way-round-road-of-bones-episode/
And that's why I went with the Yelti Roadie.
It's about 20"L X 14"W X 13"H
I don't need to carry enough food to last me through the next depression...just enough for a small roadside picnic and to keep a few drinks cool.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,537 Posts
I think it is STUPID to ride down the highway with a cooler weighted down sixty pounds of crap dam near on the trailer tongue.
I don't like the idea of 60 lbs of cooler on the tongue either. I use a soft cooler made by http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/polar-bear-coolers/red-48-pack-polar-bear-coolers.html and place it inside the trailer over the axle. The soft cooler packs nicely inside of the trailer and the ice stays longer when the cooler is inside the trailer out of the sun and heat. I weighed my cooler filled up on my last camping trip and it weighed 58.8 lbs.

More times than not after a all days ride to get where I'm going, it's a pain to go back out and stock up on food and drink. I just want to setup my campsite and then sit back, relax and reach into the cooler, so I don't mind stocking up the cooler at home....plus it's pretty nice while out on the road to be able to have a cold drink if you want and it's so much cheaper than shopping at stores like 7-11.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts