GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Just came from my dealer having made an appointment to have the frame welded and new tires installed. I decided to go with the Avon Venom R 180/70HR16 rear (to correct the speedo error) and the new 130/70R18 on the front. These are replacing the original Dunlops with a bit over 15k on them. They would go longer, but the rear had screw in it and has been repaired. I no longer trust it.
Anyway, the total cost for both tires, mounted and balanced came to just over $300.00. Sounds like a really good price as compared to some other posts I've seen on the subject. Has anyone gotten a better price than that? Just curious.
Thanks.
jack

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Re: tires

roger/orangestreak said:
I didn't think that AVON had the tires for GL1800 for sale yet???? Anybody know.
roger/orangestreak
Like the Dawg said, Hal is filling orders now.

But the tire Jack put on is the Valk (?) tire that is not the correct size for the GL1800. Some folks have done it, as it is supposed to make the speedo read true, but I would be VERY hesitant to do it on an ABS bike. The computer is designed to operate under set parametrs, and I wouldn't take the chance of throwing in a tire of a different size my ABS was designed to operate with.

As far as the price you paid for them, out the door that is a pretty good. price. But I don't know what the price difference is between the valk & the 1800 avons is... Just checked Hal's site and for a set of 1800 Avons the price is $316 and for the Valk it is $307. So if you gave $300 out the door, you got one HELL of a deal!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Total price mounted and balanced, out the door, $316.00. Yes, they are radials, yes, the rear is for the Valk. (Venom R). My bike doesn't have ABS so the size difference shouldn't matter. From what I saw at the dealer, the tread pattern is the same on the Valk tire as it is on the one for the 1800. Just the size is different.
I'll let you know how it all works. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have been wondering some feedback on these, but I have yet to see anything major. I know some people have to had them put on and have comments about them. I think these might be the next set, but never ever know until then.

BTW, 300 out the door is an excellent price, but I do not know about changing the size of the tire. Might be fine, but it would one of those things always in my mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts