GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading the threads on "Going West this Spring" and realized I may be hitting hot weather in Az in June, and if so "how hot"?

Leaving 30 May from Atlanta area for 40 day round trip, down I20 to I10 to Glendale, Az, then north in to California, and around. Taking my time, and enjoying the sites. All suggestion would be appreciated, to help this ole man.

:doorag:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Good Info

Was reading the threads on "Going West this Spring" and realized I may be hitting hot weather in Az in June, and if so "how hot"?

Leaving 30 May from Atlanta area for 40 day round trip, down I20 to I10 to Glendale, Az, then north in to California, and around. Taking my time, and enjoying the sites. All suggestion would be appreciated, to help this ole man.

I am sure the Zoney's will chime in but just in case they don't you are looking at anywhere from 110 to 120 degrees in June thru that area. It want be to bad while moving unless you are not good with heat. Stop often and in the shade to cool of and drink water. I have been thru many times in the heat but I play in the California Desert some I am use to the heat

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Although it varies June is usually the driest and hottest month of summer. Temps are usually overstated as everyone wants to make things dramatic. you can expect the realistic possibility of 110 -112 in the deserts. Keep in mind that a lot of Arizona is not desert. On I-10 its gonna be hot all the way west, through Texas, New Mexico, and into central Arizona. Once you get about an hour north of Phoenix you'll start to hit altitude and temps will drop. depending on Conditions you might find Texas the worst due to the higher humidity. It will just depend on conditions. You could also come into Arizona that time of year and be barely over 100, and yes you could hit one of the rare times when temps exceed 115. Fortunately it is dry and if you keep hydrated you might be miserable but you will be ok. Lot's of fluid and don't bundle up too much. Good mesh jackets are very useful and evaporative vests work very well out here.

I looked it up and the average high temp for Phoenix in June is 103, the average low is 72. the highest has been 122 and the lowest 50. Don't be fooled by the 122, that is extremely rare. As you can see from the average high, it's not that severe. the average rainfall in June... .1in. It is a dry heat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have to go through Ft Worth, would it be a good idea to head north from there and hit Hwy 40, then west?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

Being I lived in AZ and now in SC. I can't really see anyone traveling
from here to there in June on a motorcycle" Been there done that
got the tee shirt and the hospital bill for heat stroke (in my younger
days) I wouldn't even dream of that ride in my old age...

June,July,August is why God made MT,WY,CO,WA,ID,SD (Black Hills)...

Good Luck with your ride...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Remember to drink lots of gatorade and water. In AZand NM you do NOT feel the dehydrating effects until it is too late. Riding on the superslab, it is about 20 degrees hotter than the outside temps. Also, as you head West to TX, get off the slab and head to Texarkana to Wichita Falls, to Lubbock then accross 380. When you hit 380 take it straight to AZ for a nice ride through the mountains down to Phoenix then on to CA. More enjoyable ride that way.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Come up to Prescott and Flagstaff we would love all the company we can get.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts