GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Anyone have one of these tank bags? It looks very nice though a wee bit pricey.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I have to agree. Nice, but at more than 2 1/2 times what I paid for a Marsee Tank Bag it just didn't make sense to me.

DaleC

P.S. I would be curious what you came up with the fuel cell though. I'm about ready to do one myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Linda T makes awesome bags. I didn't go with her only because I didn't want my controls covered and since I have a map clipboard mounted on my Texelant bar, I just didn't need a large bag to hold a map. So I looked for a smaller off-the-shelf bag that might work.

I went out to Marsee and they were very willing to work with me to fit the wing. They modified one of their little bags to fit on the fuel door and I just got the first generation in the mail yesterday. There is still some 'tweaking' to do to it, but I think it's going to be awesome. It's small, but it will hold everything I need readily accessible- snacks, earplugs, glasses, etc.- plus we're running electrical into it so I can plug my gerbing stuff in right in front of me.

When they finish making the changes, I'll post a photo if you're interested. I think the price will be ~$70.

Lisa

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry, didn't even see the fuel cell mentioned. Ron Smith makes a nice fuel cell for the 1800. It sits on the pillion and is easily removed. http://www.eztank2.com/index.html Ron rides a wing and is very much involved in the long distance community.

The other option that i know of is to put the cell on a modified hitch. Mine sits up under the ABS motor and holds 4.3 gallons. (it was designed to hold 4.9 but something got lost in translation :? ) To my knowledge, no one is currently making these commercially, but a fabricater should be able to set you up.

And yes, to some extent the weight in the rear did affect the handling at speed, especially because I am not a large enough person to compensate. I have a Works rear shock prototype on right now and I think it's gonna do the trick.

Both tanks use a small aux pump and the fuel is transferred to the main tank (thereby utilizing the fuel gauge) thru a brass elbow welded on the the plate of the fuel sending unit. It's a very clean, satisfactory set up IMO.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Ron makes a great tank and I've inspected his in detail a few times. I've been doing the research to build my own auxilliary tank setup and been debating between having a fabricator build the tank from scatch to a 4 1/2 gallon size or going ahead and using one of the presently marketed fuel cells already available, although unfortunately they only come in standard sizes (even gallons). RCI and Summit have a comparible tank in 4 and 5 gallon size (aluminium) although the 5 gallon would exceed the Iron Butt guidelines plus the size is pretty unworkable for opening the rear trunk, so the 4 gallon may have to do unless I have a custom one built.

As more 1800's participate in IB events I'm sure we will see more options and designs available since it's beneficial to have a few more gallons for long distance driving.

DaleC

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Dale,

I'm going through the same quandary. I think the new IBA rules are 11.5 gallons, but you still have to stop at 350 miles, the way I read it someplace (I think from Allen at the MTF board), but I can't find that rule on the IBA site, so I've got an e-mail off to IBA tech. Oh, and the mention of 11.5 is also on the Northwest Passage rules.

I'm where you are. I want to be able to mount the aux. tank over the rear seat and still open the trunk. I also want to use my Utopia. I've come up with a neat set of pencil sketches at this point for a custom 5 gallon flat shaped tank with grab rail mounts, puke tank brackets, and T-bag strap loops all welded to the tank. I'd like to use just one bolt per grab rail clamp and quick dis-connects for permanently routed vent and filler lines, routed kinda like Allen's work. I'm thinking of sending the drawings out for a quote after I get them done. Would you be interested in having one built at the same time to maybe save a few bucks?

Another option I have found that would probably be cheaper is this little tank that could be mounted to a custom platform. However, it appears that the trunk would not quite open fully. I'm going to go take some cardboard out to the shop....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2462689338

I thought about starting a separate thread for fuel cell info, but I found a lot just searching the MTF board. If this takes off here, I'll have to change the subject line :p

Dayle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hopefully I can clear up the fuel cell capacity issue.

For individual IBA rides, like a 50CC or 48+, you must have a gas receipt at least every 350 miles. However, most rallies insist that your maximum fuel capacity does not exceed 11.5 gallons. There are some non-IBA rallies with no capacity rules (SCMA's 3 Flags, for example) and there are at least a few guys who 'load up' for those events. But for most people, 11.5 is plenty and it works for any ride or rally- not to mention the corresponding bladder size :lol:

Lisa

2005 Iron Butt Rallymaster

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not to mention the corresponding bladder size :lol:
Especially if you like coffee as much as I do!!! Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure the IBA will tell me the same thing.

I was figuring a 4 gallon fuel cell would be plenty with the 6.4 we already have on board. I don't plan on riding across Syberia anytime soon. :p

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Quickdraw said:
.... I've come up with a neat set of pencil sketches at this point for a custom 5 gallon flat shaped tank with grab rail mounts, puke tank brackets, and T-bag strap loops all welded to the tank.
QD, shoot me a copy of your drawings when you're done and I can see about having my metal shop look at them and giving you a quote as well. Are you using AutoCad, or something compatible? If so, we could shoot something over to them and have a prototype put together for fit testing pretty quickly using our machines.

Just an option - give it a thought.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Quickdraw - the 19.25 inch width of that tank is almost ideal plus the other measurements look good too, but the tank would have to be less that 5 gallons since the GL1800 is officially a 6.7 gallon fuel capacity. To avoid problems in complying with IB guidelines I would shoot for something around 4 1/2 gallons total. Originally I was looking at a 5 gallon RCI tank with the foam inserts (for the baffel) and assumed it would hold only 4.70 to 4.75 gallons and meet the limit, but RCI has confirmed that tank will indeed hold 5 gallons of fuel. I made a proto type to see how I liked the 12 x 12 x 8 inch shape and it was a problem to open the trunk so I scratched that tank on 2 counts. Their 4 gallon tank has a nice shape and is relatively inexpensive when purchased through Summit Racing (approx. $116. for the standard aluminum). You can also get these tanks powdercoated red, blue, or black too for about $32. more. The 4 gallon tank measures 12 x 10 x 8 inches.

It would be interesting to see what kind of cost could be developed for a custom 4 1/2 gallon aluminum tank for the GL1800.

I've also been working on building a platform over the rear passenger seat that the tank would bolt onto and the side supports would have holes that the passenger handlebar bolts would go through and be between the seat and the handlebar itself (rather than something that would bolt onto the handlebar).

Other items needed would be the quick disconnect (probably from Sampson), the inline fuel filter, the Legend Ball valve, a 5/16" nylon braided fuel line (my choice) and the assorted valve fittings, adaptors and hose ends.

DaleC

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys and gals

I've been studying the crap out of this fuel cell thing.

Dale, that is the very tank I have been looking at. I would like to be able to put a t-bag on top of my fuel cell though, so I've been measuring and drawing. Continued use of the Utopia is MANDATORY and I'd like to have install/removal be very quick. Of course I want to be able to open the trunk and trunk pockets almost fully. I can change the volume of this idea easy enough by changing the width of the front section if I got my calculations wrong and some adjustment is necessary. I did the best I could to figure this tank's volume. I think I'm very close, less what's in the neck and the tiny bit taken up by material. If this all works out, I'll have it powder coated to match the seat. You'll hardly know it's there :p

Jon, I just use Adobe Illustrator to draw with. I have never used autocad. I can give you an eps file to scale. Would that help? I'd love to have a quote for what it would cost to prototype and build this nice and stout. What type of prototyping do you guys do? THAT would be very helpful. I may have to build this out of cardboard to get a better idea, but I've double checked everything several times and I think it will do what I want without banging my elbows...

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
QD,

I've sent your pic to my metal shop to see if it's something they're interested in tackling. If so, I can transfer your drawing to AutoCAD and send them the DXF files and have them run a quick prototype through the machines out of light-gauge sheet metal.

We can test-fit and modify as necessary before we run it out of Aluminum.

I'll let you know what they say.

Jon

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jon said:
QD,
I'll let you know what they say.
Kewl!!! I can ride up and test it out!!!
Only thing I can think of that I forgot is a tipover valve on the vent but I might be able to put that inline and attach it to the filler tube.

And yes I've read the IBA rules, but I can't find the new limit anywhere.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Quickdraw - the current limit is definitely 11.5 total gallons on the bike. It was increased from 11.0 gallons sometime back. I'll see if I can find that, but I have no question that it's accurate and have had quite a bit of discussion with a number of avid and long term IB members.

DaleC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts