GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, there's 6 inches of snow outside, the temp is right at 20 degrees after being 2 degrees the night before last, guess the inevitable has caught up with me and the Dancer. I've perused the website at Whitehorse Press and see several good motorcycle trip books to read while snowbound but wondered if anyone has some that are especially good? If you do, please post the name of the book, the author and where they can be bought. I can start if off with Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintaince/Robert M. Pirsig published by Morrow which can be bought at any bookstore in hardback or paperback (read 4 times), a couple of others that I've already passed on to friends to read and don't recall the name or authors. Thanks for any help you can give, it'll help make this nasty "white stuff" more tolerable (if that's possible). :snow1: :biker:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Proficient Motorcycleing & More Proficient Motorcycling
David Hough
can be bought just about anyplace you can buy books.
He also has another that I haven't read. I can't recall the name,maybe something like Street Smarts?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I always enjoy the articles on pashnit.com. Tim (pashnit) has posted his two books online and they are a really good read; you'll find a link on the homepage.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
How about Tolstoy's "War and Peace"? Yeah, I know it's not a motorcycle book but it'll take your mind off riding for a long time! After all, it looks to be a looonnnggg winter.....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Try "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", if you want something lighter you might try "Moby Dick" or "Angle of Repose" or anything by Wallace Stegner. "Bell for Adano" is good too, Isabel Allende writes some god stuff too if you are into lyrical stuff. If you are into mysteries you got a whole world of stuff to chose from. Basically you could start with all the Pulwitzer prize winners. When you finish them all, I think you qualify for a Masters Degree of Literature.
Get going! :lol:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Hey Canyon Dancer,

Try "A Twist Of The Wrist" the motorcycle road racer handbook, written by Keith Code, with notes and comments by Eddie Lawson,

or, "A Twist Of The Wrist II", the basics of high-performance motorcycle riding, by Keith Code, with notes by Doug Chandler. To complement each other, why not get them both, you'll be a savvy-er rider.

Enjoy.

Mike T.

·
Registered
216 Posts
"The Long Way Around" is a great read, and afterwards, you can get the video. I would read the book first though.

Enjoy

·
Registered
216 Posts
"The Long Way Around" is a great read, and afterwards, you can get the video. I would read the book first though.

Enjoy

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sheesh ! Second time I get a second copy of my post put on line. I expect it is something I am doing incorrectly but I do not know what it is.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Try the "Life is a road" series by Daniel Meyer. You can get all four books from his website http://lifeisaroad.com The author rides a Valkyrie and has a special "touch" for capturing the ride in words. He writes of simple daytrips as well as the longer trips to Alaska. Try 'em.... I think you'll like 'em. I love 'em. :wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
OR....

Read your Goldwing maintenance manual cover to cover and watch Fred's videos. You just might become an ace mech and save some $$. If you are really lucky, installing all of the farkels that you receive from Santa can kill some time, too! :lol:

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Leanings 1 and 2,by Peter Eagin, of Cycle World. I guarantee you will enjoy both of these books.
**** :D

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Pilgrimage on a Steel Ride by Gary Paulsen

and then, Winterdance: the fine madness of running the Iditarod also by Paulsen, not about motorcycles, but the chapter "Major Wrecks" is hysterically funny.

Season's Readings!
Becky

·
Registered
460 Posts
Two I can reccomend.

First: Freedom Credos from the Road by Sonny Barger. Founder of the Hells Angels. Very much about how to be an effective leader and how to create/run a succesful organization when read with an open mind.

Second: High on a Wing you can order this book from the Mik_O-Pegs website. Mik-O-Pegs were not for me but the book was very enjoyable especially when it was written by someone I feel I know a little.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Books especially during PMS

rhino678 said:
Two I can reccomend.

Second: High on a Wing you can order this book from the Mik_O-Pegs website. Mik-O-Pegs were not for me but the book was very enjoyable especially when it was written by someone I feel I know a little.
Here's a link to "High On A Wing" http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/ridingiswonderfulinc/id3.html where you'll find an overview, Introduction and a sample chapter. That will give you a taste of the writing. I hope you'll at least consider my book which is mostly history and trivia about state Highpoints, with very little about when I got up each day, route I took, how many miles, etc. but details are available for those who like that stuff.

If you're working on a Christmas shopping list, you might want to consider ordering multiple copies to get them cheaper.

Whitehorse Press used to list High On A Wing, but you'll get it autographed with a note if you order from me.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I really enjoyed "Investment Biker: Around the world with Jim Rogers". http://www.amazon.com/Investment-Biker- ... 1558505296 He wrote it in 1994 and I heard him speak about the trip not long after the book was published. Not only did I enjoy the parts about the ride but his observations about the economies of the countries they rode through were insightful. Of course, he was covering two areas I'm passionate about: riding and money management.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
"The Perfect Vehicle: What It is about Motorcycles" by Melissa Holbrook Pierson...mostly discusses sportbikes, but has alot of good stuff in it...a fun read.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts