GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is one extra available... because I don't want one now. Every rider finds their personal pleasure on the bike that matches their need or desires, and for a year now I have been wondering if the new (2021/22) Wing was for me. I have been hearing wonderful things about her, the speed, the gearing, the weight reduction, etc. And based on the reviews and testimonials I made a half-interested effort to consider trading my 03 for a new ride, and wandered over to the Honda place today to look. They had two baggers and not much else, as pickins' are slim right now, so I parked my helmet on a quad nearby and threw a leg over a beautiful shiny new Wing, and before my foot was on the ground I changed my mind about wanting one. It's purty, has lots of buttons and such, but I felt as though I had just set upon yet another "sport bike"... Gone is the feeling of climbing up on the elephants' back, (which is how I describe my Wing... like a big elegant powerful elephant), gone is the majestic size and heft. It felt light, sure, nimble, sure, sleek, and sporty. If I wanted that I would have kept my FJR! It seems Honda has done a bit of a dis service to many of us who took years to transition from the sport mode to the comfortable giant bike mode. On the other side of the showroom is the Indian dealer, and I actually found their bikes to be more appealing than the new Wing. If you own or will own the new Wing I seriously hope you love it! Me? Well I will be looking for someone else used "elephant" next year, I guess, and the way most of us take care of our rides I will find a beaut! Ride safe, all.

·
Administrator
5,152 Posts
You eloquently described my feelings when I knew I would have to replace my 2006 Wing. I really wanted the DCT and new suspension, and the bells and whistles were interesting. The dealer tossed me the keys and asked me to be back by closing time. I rode 40 or 50 miles but just never could get comfortable on it. I was used to my "sedan" and did not want the "sports car" version. I really wanted to like it but I just didn't feel at home.

Thats almost blasphemy for at my age that was probably my last chance to buy the latest and greatest, but I just felt more comfortable on the 1832 models. I am envious of all my friends who have the new bikes. I still say that if Honda would put the 1833cc engine/transmission, and front suspension in the 1832 frame I'd go buy one.

Congratulation on your decision. It is the right decision for it is your bike!

Glen

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
When new bikes cost as much, if not MORE than a new car, it's too much for my pocket to handle.

Just bought my wife a new Toyota Camry SE, NOT in my best financial interest at 63 to buy a new bike that I DON'T need when my old reliable(so far) 2007 is at hand.

Although it would be a nice ego booster to own a brand new 2022 Goldwing, I MUST keep my hands in my pocket to keep from signing the sales contract.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
As a "Touring" bike, my 2013 Goldwing is just awfully hard to beat. Now the 2018+ Goldwings are really very nice "Sports/Touring" bikes. As someone pointed out; like an FJR is. I just wish Honda had improved on the dedicated "Touring" bike concept.

·
Registered
2018 6-Speed
935 Posts
As I have said before, I thought my 2008 was more comfortable to ride. I always felt like I was "in" the bike, a part of it. My 2018 6-Speed is very smooth and has fantastic brakes but I feel like I am on top of it rather than a part of it. Perhaps a different seat is in my future, I am hopeful that could make a difference. The biggest plus for me though, and the reason I would never go back, is the reduction in weight and the new front suspension. The new bike feels MUCH lighter and is easier for me to handle at low or no speed. At my "advanced" age that is a big deal!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
When the 2018's came out, I knew I was going to need to keep my 2010 longer that I ever thought I would. I too want that luxury full scale Touring Bike as my primary long distance bike with the ability to haul a-- in the twisties. But I was soon to hit 200,000 miles on it. So, I decided I was going to need a Sport Tour bike like what Honda called an ST-1300. So, I stopped in at Honda to check out their new upgraded ST-1800 that they were calling a "Goldwing". I bought one for the sole purpose of being a Sport Tour for around town, work, and shorter rides. I did need to do a bunch of stuff and alterations to make it more comfortable. The seat and handlebars did require some major modifications, or it was only going to get work and local miles; no day rides. Along with this was needing a hitch for pulling my Tailwind, or it was not going to get 2-3 day weekend rides either.

My ST-1800 has also been badged as an ST-1800 in the same location Honda put ST-1300 on the earlier ST models.

·
Administrator
9,513 Posts
Good for you. I on the other hand would have never ever considered the station wagon of Gold Wings past. The current model is the perfect bike for my needs. After thinking. I’d get a Road Glide it was love at first sight when I sat on the new GW. Good thing there are options out there.
LOL! I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s you couldn't give a station wagon away. I was looking out the window recently and realized there were station wagons as far as the eye could see. You can't even buy a Lincoln that's not a station wagon any more. Sure, they don't call them station wagons but that's what they are. Just change the name and fool people and they become popular again. So here's to the station wagons of Gold Wings! 🍺🍻 😁😂😎

·
Registered
586 Posts
When the new wing came out in 2018 I called it a rebadged ST1800 because that's how how saw it. At the time I had a low mileage 2013 Goldwing. The 13 was very comfortable even the seat it needed nothing and I loved it. Well a couple years went by I was getting close to 70 and looking for a lighter bike. I found a 18 6 speed demo for a good price and bought it. The bike was what I was looking for, lighter, narrower, more nimble, more modern looking. The ST1800 is a great bike for sure, but its hard to beat the old wing on multiple week trips and 700 mile days. Would I make the trade again? Yes, not because I want to but at this point in my life its the bike I need to keep riding. At 70 years old two artificial hips and 5-7 the old bike was getting to be handful. The ST1800 kept me riding but yes the older bike was an awesome machine and I miss the comfort and dare I say the speed. The ST1800 has the speed limiter set at 112 so the older bike will run away from it at the top end. Enjoy your older wings they are great bikes!! The ST1800 is just the little brother and works for some and not for others.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
At 71 years old, I know that I needed help, lifting my 2010 up on the ctr kick stand.......I triked it out and never lQQked back.............Would I ever get another bike if anything happens to this bike with 62,000 (s)miles on it ////I don't know BUT I've been riding since I was 16 years old and always have had a motorcycle in my (parent's garage) till I was 23 yrs old and then purchased my own home..and always, had a bike in my own garage.....

Ronnie
5/8/22

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
There was a lot of very similar talk when going from the GL1500 to the GL1800, now days GL1500’s don’t sell very well. No matter what kind of seat or wind protection comes from the factory there’s always a pretty long list of unhappy people. I’m hoping to own one of the newest models equipped with DCT transmission someday after my current 2002 reaches 600,000 miles, hopefully Honda will also start making them in yellow again.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Fruitless discussion on what a person likes or dislikes......there's no convincing anyone else which is better.
Time marches on and so does technology.......

Get what you want and enjoy it......that's what life (and retirement!) is all about. 😊
It's pretty obvious where I stand, but I don't want to try and convince anyone else it has to be their choice also.

·
Administrator
5,152 Posts
There was a lot of very similar talk when going from the GL1500 to the GL1800, now days GL1500’s don’t sell very well. No matter what kind of seat or wind protection comes from the factory there’s always a pretty long list of unhappy people. I’m hoping to own one of the newest models equipped with DCT transmission someday after my current 2002 reaches 600,000 miles, hopefully Honda will also start making them in yellow again.
So in other words, you're buying next week??? 😂 🤣

We missed you and the Jammer at the ******* RTE.

Glen

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
600,000 miles! You and your GL are amazing! Congrats!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
So in other words, you're buying next week??? 😂 🤣

We missed you and the Jammer at the *** RTE.

Glen
Would have loved to attend, even had reservations at Navasota Inn but had to cancel them a couple weeks ago because of to much other stuff going on, if Mr Machine was still around I’m sure both of us would have made the trip together, hopefully I will make it next year.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts