GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
My feelings are about the same as toplessartist and glockjock. I test rode a 2018 and as soon as I threw a leg over, I knew it was not for me. I prefer to ride "in my bike" and not "on my bike"...Still, the dct is a nice improvement and I loved the suspension of the new bike, but that was not enough to change my mind.

Truth be told, if Honda would have fuel injected the 1500, I would still be riding one of those. I thought that was the most comfortable bike I had ever owned.

And while the Bluetooth capabilities are nice, I don't want to be messing around with pairing this to that, then pair this to that, so a wired setup is still in my future. I just triked my 2009 steed last year and at 76 years young, this is probably my last bike.

All the bells and whistles are nice if you like to play with them and the dct trans is a huge advance in the mc industry, but for me, I think shifting is part and parcel of riding a motorcycle, and while Bluetooth hands free is nice, it's too much fooling around for this old retired IT guy.

I don't care what a guy or gal rides, as long as they ride.

Just one old guy's opinion..

Les

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is one extra available... because I don't want one now. Every rider finds their personal pleasure on the bike that matches their need or desires, and for a year now I have been wondering if the new (2021/22) Wing was for me. I have been hearing wonderful things about her, the speed, the gearing, the weight reduction, etc. And based on the reviews and testimonials I made a half-interested effort to consider trading my 03 for a new ride, and wandered over to the Honda place today to look. They had two baggers and not much else, as pickins' are slim right now, so I parked my helmet on a quad nearby and threw a leg over a beautiful shiny new Wing, and before my foot was on the ground I changed my mind about wanting one. It's purty, has lots of buttons and such, but I felt as though I had just set upon yet another "sport bike"... Gone is the feeling of climbing up on the elephants' back, (which is how I describe my Wing... like a big elegant powerful elephant), gone is the majestic size and heft. It felt light, sure, nimble, sure, sleek, and sporty. If I wanted that I would have kept my FJR! It seems Honda has done a bit of a dis service to many of us who took years to transition from the sport mode to the comfortable giant bike mode. On the other side of the showroom is the Indian dealer, and I actually found their bikes to be more appealing than the new Wing. If you own or will own the new Wing I seriously hope you love it! Me? Well I will be looking for someone else used "elephant" next year, I guess, and the way most of us take care of our rides I will find a beaut! Ride safe, all.
This is the exact reason I bought my new 2021 goldwing DCT. I hate the giant elephant fossils. The new GW is a Goldwing in name alone. Everything Honda did in the redesign was perfect. Especially for us tall riders.

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,364 Posts
I am on my third Gen 5. I have had quite a few different styled motorcycles in my years and thought about going with a Sport Tour like the FJR this last time. I do love my current style Wing but our age (me and the Wing) are a bit of a concern. Turning 60 this year and I still love the current style Wing, but I have never rode or even sat on a 18 or 21 model Wing. The way the new Wings are described as being light and nimble like a ST-1800 kind of sounds intriguing to me. I just retired and have a bit of a nest egg (or maybe a bitty nest egg compared to many), but no way I am going to fork out that kind of money right now. Maybe in several years when the newest generation are being sold used and possibly affordable I may move up. There is also the thought of "starting over" with mods, seating, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I'm kinda in the same place as many have posted here.
The 2018+ Goldwing is a great motorcycle. I think Honda did the right thing upgrading the line.
Today's market reflected that, especially with what BMW is doing.
I also was keeping an eye on the new Wing and its features. However like others I am extremely
satisfied with my 2016. I also found that I have less desire for the Gen-6 since I installed the Henry
Final Drive. Now 5th gear is a true overdrive, and performance is enhanced under all conditions.
It's kinda like the new Gen-6 six speed manual. I now can wait to shift out of 1st gear until 35+ mph.
The stock gear ratio, especially in 1st was quite annoying for me.
Needless to say, for me, I'm keeping the 2016, especially now!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This is the exact reason I bought my new 2021 goldwing DCT. I hate the giant elephant fossils. The new GW is a Goldwing in name alone. Everything Honda did in the redesign was perfect. Especially for us tall riders.
See!? This is why I am so glad I posted my OP! I love hearing that for some people it was the perfect revision of the classic. I am truly happy for those people that waited and waited and were pleased with the results. There is no right or wrong when it comes to personal choices and I think with this new version of the Wing more of us will be satisfied with our mounts.

·
Registered
436 Posts
There is one extra available... because I don't want one now. Every rider finds their personal pleasure on the bike that matches their need or desires, and for a year now I have been wondering if the new (2021/22) Wing was for me. I have been hearing wonderful things about her, the speed, the gearing, the weight reduction, etc. And based on the reviews and testimonials I made a half-interested effort to consider trading my 03 for a new ride, and wandered over to the Honda place today to look. They had two baggers and not much else, as pickins' are slim right now, so I parked my helmet on a quad nearby and threw a leg over a beautiful shiny new Wing, and before my foot was on the ground I changed my mind about wanting one. It's purty, has lots of buttons and such, but I felt as though I had just set upon yet another "sport bike"... Gone is the feeling of climbing up on the elephants' back, (which is how I describe my Wing... like a big elegant powerful elephant), gone is the majestic size and heft. It felt light, sure, nimble, sure, sleek, and sporty. If I wanted that I would have kept my FJR! It seems Honda has done a bit of a dis service to many of us who took years to transition from the sport mode to the comfortable giant bike mode. On the other side of the showroom is the Indian dealer, and I actually found their bikes to be more appealing than the new Wing. If you own or will own the new Wing I seriously hope you love it! Me? Well I will be looking for someone else used "elephant" next year, I guess, and the way most of us take care of our rides I will find a beaut! Ride safe, all.
Sounds like a Harley fan! HAHA

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am on my third Gen 5. I have had quite a few different styled motorcycles in my years and thought about going with a Sport Tour like the FJR this last time. I do love my current style Wing but our age (me and the Wing) are a bit of a concern. Turning 60 this year and I still love the current style Wing, but I have never rode or even sat on a 18 or 21 model Wing. The way the new Wings are described as being light and nimble like a ST-1800 kind of sounds intriguing to me. I just retired and have a bit of a nest egg (or maybe a bitty nest egg compared to many), but no way I am going to fork out that kind of money right now. Maybe in several years when the newest generation are being sold used and possibly affordable I may move up. There is also the thought of "starting over" with mods, seating, etc. etc. etc.
If you want a big-bike thrill you might consider getting (or trying out) a used FJR! It is everything I ever wanted in a Sport Touring/canyon carver, but my knees made their displeasure known when I took her on 4 to 6 hour rides... but it's wonderful machine. And you wouldn't have to fork out "new bike" kinds of money for one.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sounds like a Harley fan! HAHA
haha actually I've never been a Harley fan. They're crazy shiny and big, but never even wanted to test ride one... no desire nor interest. The Indian I saw in the showroom was big and blue and looked really comfy... and looked more like my current Wing than the new Wings.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I don't even need to sit on one, let alone ride one to know I don't like it. I liked and would still consider a FJR or a Honda ST1300, but for the new GL1800 besides the smaller stature, which in itself is not a deal breaker, too many electronics "upgrades" like keyless, ect, excessive use of canbus. Things that cause too many stranded. It's been pretty apparent that the new version is nowhere near the old in reliability.
I do like the 6sp manual, and possibly the front suspension on the new one, but other than that not much. As to DCT, no interest to ever consider as long as I'm alive.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
When I was a bit curious, the dealer made the decision for me, "no test rides" as time passed I became less interested. The new model is a fine motorcycle, but it possess very few of the qualities I was looking for when I was originally drawn to the Goldwing. I'll never say never, but for now someone can have mines too.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,043 Posts
I don't even need to sit on one, let alone ride one to know I don't like it. I liked and would still consider a FJR or a Honda ST1300, but for the new GL1800 besides the smaller stature, which in itself is not a deal breaker, too many electronics "upgrades" like keyless, ect, excessive use of canbus. Things that cause too many stranded. It's been pretty apparent that the new version is nowhere near the old in reliability.
I do like the 6sp manual, and possibly the front suspension on the new one, but other than that not much. As to DCT, no interest to ever consider as long as I'm alive.
You got to be kidding or your not paying attention...the 2018 plus model has been far more reliable then the old model was at this point in its production...in comparsion with the old model this new model has been nearly perfect

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,043 Posts
Its fun reading all the comments...for me after riding my 2003 Traxxion wing for 15 years, my first ride on the 2018 felt like it was all Gold Wing..except it was so much lighter and easier to handle.. I thought the brakes with my 2003 was top notch but Honda made them even better...the transmission...quiet,crisp,and precise with lower rpms at cruising speeds..huge upgrade and its what I always wanted with my 2003...the power windshield offers far better wind management..the hot weather riding comfort is a huge upgrade....and the electronics with cell phone and iPod intergration is what I expect and demand by 2018..and the BT setup is so easy to use and boy is it nice not having a cord and I've grown to love the keyless system...comfort between the old and new...with a RDL, this 2018 is every bit as comfort as my 2003 was with its barn door windshield....in fact my knees are more comfortable on my 2018 even though Im older. The old model still is a very nice and top tier touring machine..but time moves on and Honda went in the right direction with this new model IMO...I would be riding a BMW at this point if Honda didn't do the redesign.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Personally I think my Pretty Blue/Silver 2012 Wing is prettier than the new ones. I also sat on a new 2022 and dont get me wrong it is a sharp looking beautiful bike. But right now I still prefer the 2012 style may down the road ill change my mind

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have a GL1000 that I have kept way too long because the next versions (after 1100) seemed too big. Even with my tiny 1000 I often took the Krauser bags and Windjammer off to put it back into "sport" mode. Remember, the Goldwing started life as a sport bike. Finally Honda reduced the size a bit and I am back. (No trunk). I guess my feeling is that if you want to ride "IN" something what about a car?

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Well done, sir.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
haha actually I've never been a Harley fan. They're crazy shiny and big, but never even wanted to test ride one... no desire nor interest. The Indian I saw in the showroom was big and blue and looked really comfy... and looked more like my current Wing than the new Wings.
Sky Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system

·
Chard Member
13,488 Posts
I have a GL1000 that I have kept way too long because the next versions (after 1100) seemed too big. Even with my tiny 1000 I often took the Krauser bags and Windjammer off to put it back into "sport" mode. Remember, the Goldwing started life as a sport bike. Finally Honda reduced the size a bit and I am back. (No trunk). I guess my feeling is that if you want to ride "IN" something what about a car?
Bet you could remove the Vetter fairing in 20 min and make the 1000 street legal. :rolleyes: The 1000 and 1100 were really close in size and weight.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

I sold my 78 GL1000 a couple years ago. It was sporty and fun, but I used it very little. Once you get used to the brakes on a modern Goldwing, the 1970’s brakes seem inadequate.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts