GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,043 Posts
As Cycledude pointed out, many had similar opinions about the first 1800s. This discussion reminded me of my favorite Honda ad with Nicky Hayden. They used a yellow wing of course.

Back in 2002 Honda sent out a VCR cassette in the mail with the full version of that video...I must have watched that video a hundred times...you could see in the video how sporty the then new GL1800 was compared to all the Gold Wings before it...that free video from Honda convinced me to buy my 2003 alot sooner than I thought I would buy a Gold Wing..I still have that VCR tape...just don't have a VCR to play it any longer..LOL

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,043 Posts
View attachment 401171

I sold my 78 GL1000 a couple years ago. It was sporty and fun, but I used it very little. Once you get used to the brakes on a modern Goldwing, the 1970’s brakes seem inadequate.
You reminded me of the time I rode my 1977 Honda 750 Four Super Sport in the rain the first time....I was shocked that the brake pads had no grip in the rain...it was like the pads had oil on them...needless to say brakes have come a long way since the late 70's

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
A good friend of mine just recently received (that's another story) a new 2021 Goldwing DCT. He asked me to take it for a ride to get my impressions. I own and ride an '06 with Helibars and a Utopia back rest. It only took 10 feet of slow travel for me to miss the back rest. The next thing I noticed was the steering. It didn't feel as responsive as my '06. Maybe because of the lack of Helibars? The 2021 also felt top heavy in comparison to the '06 ... weird. Sport mode makes the throttle way too sensitive. I'll often shift up into 2nd gear on my '06 as soon as the bike starts moving as I find the throttle on the '06 too sensitive in first gear particularly in tight maneuvers or on unpaved surfaces. I can't imagine any circumstance where sport mode might be an advantage (maybe on the highway?). The DCT shifted smoothly and the ride of the 2021 felt smoother, but not enough to claim there's a huge difference. The adjustable wind screen is nice, but there was a lot more air hitting my face. I didn't have the opportunity to ride out on an interstate to see if that would be more of an issue. At least I know now it isn't worth the $$$$$$$ to think about replacing the '06, unless I win the lottery or someone gives me a bike (like what happened to my friend).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wow! I thought my 2018 was giant and majestic. I guess it depends where you’re coming from (old-wing to new-wing or in my case, road racer to new-wing. Isn’t it wonderful we have so many options so we can find what we want? Happy riding!

·
Registered
6 Posts
As I have said before, I thought my 2008 was more comfortable to ride. I always felt like I was "in" the bike, a part of it. My 2018 6-Speed is very smooth and has fantastic brakes but I feel like I am on top of it rather than a part of it. Perhaps a different seat is in my future, I am hopeful that could make a difference. The biggest plus for me though, and the reason I would never go back, is the reduction in weight and the new front suspension. The new bike feels MUCH lighter and is easier for me to handle at low or no speed. At my "advanced" age that is a big deal!
I felt the same about my seat too until I replaced it with a Corbin. No more complaints here

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was glad to find a last-year 2017 to hitch up to my sidecar rig after the previous mule (BMW K1200LT) puked the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder onto the (previously) dry clutch, leaving me stranded. A lot bigger and heavier (and eats a lot more gasoline), but the acceleration and brakes are both better (especially with rear car tire and ABS plumbed to include sidecar wheel). So the analogy to a station wagon/SUV is accurate. That third wheel is a great option for folks not up to struggling with a heavy bike (and no center stand needed, except maybe for maintenance). The new GW reminds me of the previous over-complicated K12LT that had all sorts of electrical ailments as it aged (stereo, ABS pump, cruise control), still way too heavy for a solo bike (for me...), and potentially a "lightweighted" frame unlikely to be suitable for a sidecar's unique stresses (as are BMW's current offerings). I still have a BMW 650 single, 800 twin and 750 triple - the first two are still light enough to easily handle as 2-wheelers. But much agreed - bikes are a personal choice, and each one is designed with a specific purpose in mind.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I really miss my '03. I have 25,000 miles on my 2018 DCT. Despite all the bells and whistles ( full disclosure, I'm very comfortable and very proficient with technology ), the bike is a bit of a disappointment. Storage is horrendous, and I don't think another 11 liters with the upgrade is going to make that much difference, and although the bike is faster and handles better, I'd say really it's a really minor improvement. A LITTLE faster, and handles a LITTLE BIT better, but not anywhere near all the hype getting thrown around about it. (Not to mention the joke of a nav system, and the joke of the Siri interface and APC in general with all its glitches.)

I'll keep my 2018, and might even upgrade to a 2022 to gain a little more storage and passenger comfort, but all in all I feel like I've been hoodwinked. Personally I don't buy used bikes (standing by for incoming), so guess the 2018+ is what I'm going to have to live with.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
We’re now in the 5th production run of the new wing and people are still whining about the changes. How many years passed before folks quit whining when they designed the 1800 back in 2001 or whenever? Was it really 5 or 6 or more years?

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
We’re now in the 5th production run of the new wing and people are still whining about the changes. How many years passed before folks quit whining when they designed the 1800 back in 2001 or whenever? Was it really 5 or 6 or more years?
I guess if you categorize people expressing thier likes and dislikes for a product as whining, the answer is probably never. I wasn't a wing owner at the last generation change, but I imagine the change wasn't met with open arms by all. Some Gl1500 owners probably never made the transition.

I became a wing owner in 09, and even then people who had made the transition expressed what they didn't like about the bike. (That has never changed) Many here who have purchased the 18+ have expressed that they would have never owned the previous model, even though they had never tried one, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Isn't it wonderful that we all don't have to all like the same things? And that we have forums like this where those opinions can be discussed ? Life would be pretty boring if we didn't have choices, and opinions about those choices couldn't be discussed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On average, the new generation makes the most sense for you if you never rode the Gen 5. There's exceptions but that's what I see locally from people. The Gen 6 draws a younger crowd, many of whom never rode the Gen 5. If you never rode a Gen 5, you'd be happy with the Gen 6. Also, I think Honda wanted to downsize the Gen 5 because the Goldwing is going to electric in the next X number of years?

·
Administrator
9,527 Posts
I guess if you categorize people expressing thier likes and dislikes for a product as whining, the answer is probably never. I wasn't a wing owner at the last generation change, but I imagine the change wasn't met with open arms by all. Some Gl1500 owners probably never made the transition.

I became a wing owner in 09, and even then people who had made the transition expressed what they didn't like about the bike. (That has never changed) Many here who have purchased the 18+ have expressed that they would have never owned the previous model, even though they had never tried one, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Isn't it wonderful that we all don't have to all like the same things? And that we have forums like this where those opinions can be discussed ? Life would be pretty boring if we didn't have choices, and opinions about those choices couldn't be discussed.
Well said. "Whining." :rolleyes: I guess at some point everyone is required to love everything that was changed? Fall in line or be reprogrammed? 🐑 Baaaaaaa! 🐏

There are loves and hates, pros and cons to every model year. People are allowed to discuss them here and even <gulp> disagree.

The OP was just stating his opinion like everybody else. I didn't think he was trying to convince anybody of anything. And there wasn't any "whining."

·
Registered
2021 GL1800 6 Speed Tour
23 Posts
There is one extra available... because I don't want one now. Every rider finds their personal pleasure on the bike that matches their need or desires, and for a year now I have been wondering if the new (2021/22) Wing was for me. I have been hearing wonderful things about her, the speed, the gearing, the weight reduction, etc. And based on the reviews and testimonials I made a half-interested effort to consider trading my 03 for a new ride, and wandered over to the Honda place today to look. They had two baggers and not much else, as pickins' are slim right now, so I parked my helmet on a quad nearby and threw a leg over a beautiful shiny new Wing, and before my foot was on the ground I changed my mind about wanting one. It's purty, has lots of buttons and such, but I felt as though I had just set upon yet another "sport bike"... Gone is the feeling of climbing up on the elephants' back, (which is how I describe my Wing... like a big elegant powerful elephant), gone is the majestic size and heft. It felt light, sure, nimble, sure, sleek, and sporty. If I wanted that I would have kept my FJR! It seems Honda has done a bit of a dis service to many of us who took years to transition from the sport mode to the comfortable giant bike mode. On the other side of the showroom is the Indian dealer, and I actually found their bikes to be more appealing than the new Wing. If you own or will own the new Wing I seriously hope you love it! Me? Well I will be looking for someone else used "elephant" next year, I guess, and the way most of us take care of our rides I will find a beaut! Ride safe, all.
I have the 2021 Gold Wing 6 speed manual tour. It is my first Gold Wing. I personally love the sleak, sporty, silky smooth ride. Funny thing with regard to your situation is that I had a 2020 Indian Challenger Limited that I traded in for the Wing. The Challenger was fast and nice, but it had electrical issues the dealer and Polaris would not work even under warranty. May have been a first model year thing, but Polaris didn't take care of the issue after months in the shop. The ride command software is clunky too. In my case I like the Wing over the Challenger though in my view they are different. One is a v twin bagger/cruiser while the other is a refined tourer. Different feel and looks. I love both looks, but could only afford one "big" expensive bike so went with the Wing and love it. To satisfy my V Twin side I have a Yamaha V-Star 1300. To your point regarding previous Wings, I can't speak to that, but have heard others that are used to the earlier models echo the same thought. I can totally see that. The new Challenger with full up tour package is now called the Indian Pursuit. Hopefully they worked out the electrical bugs by now and may warrant a look see. Good luck with your next ride!

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is one extra available... because I don't want one now. Every rider finds their personal pleasure on the bike that matches their need or desires, and for a year now I have been wondering if the new (2021/22) Wing was for me. I have been hearing wonderful things about her, the speed, the gearing, the weight reduction, etc. And based on the reviews and testimonials I made a half-interested effort to consider trading my 03 for a new ride, and wandered over to the Honda place today to look. They had two baggers and not much else, as pickins' are slim right now, so I parked my helmet on a quad nearby and threw a leg over a beautiful shiny new Wing, and before my foot was on the ground I changed my mind about wanting one. It's purty, has lots of buttons and such, but I felt as though I had just set upon yet another "sport bike"... Gone is the feeling of climbing up on the elephants' back, (which is how I describe my Wing... like a big elegant powerful elephant), gone is the majestic size and heft. It felt light, sure, nimble, sure, sleek, and sporty. If I wanted that I would have kept my FJR! It seems Honda has done a bit of a dis service to many of us who took years to transition from the sport mode to the comfortable giant bike mode. On the other side of the showroom is the Indian dealer, and I actually found their bikes to be more appealing than the new Wing. If you own or will own the new Wing I seriously hope you love it! Me? Well I will be looking for someone else used "elephant" next year, I guess, and the way most of us take care of our rides I will find a beaut! Ride safe, all.
Well when your leg is burning off from that back cylinder in the Indian then just trade up to a 2012-17 Wing. I love my ST1800 Wing. USA 4-Corners ride last year and so much better than my 05. Each to his own.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Haha Great banter here! I think I'll go start a "which oil is best" thread next! :) Actually I would probably never buy an Indian, and not for any particular reason as they are nice bikes, just made that comment mostly because of all the bikes on the floor that day the only one that looked or seemed similar to my elephant was the Indian. If and when I step forward in bike years I will be buying some old guy's (yes, one of you) well maintained '14 -17 Wing. So please, all of you, keep up with that air filter change, the fork seals, and the tires, so when I'm ready they will all be done for me. Thanks ahead of time. So... about that oil...

·
Administrator
9,527 Posts
Haha Great banter here! I think I'll go start a "which oil is best" thread next! :) Actually I would probably never buy an Indian, and not for any particular reason as they are nice bikes, just made that comment mostly because of all the bikes on the floor that day the only one that looked or seemed similar to my elephant was the Indian. If and when I step forward in bike years I will be buying some old guy's (yes, one of you) well maintained '14 -17 Wing. So please, all of you, keep up with that air filter change, the fork seals, and the tires, so when I'm ready they will all be done for me. Thanks ahead of time. So... about that oil...
You'll have to pry my 2017 from my cold, dead hands! 😁😎

·
Administrator
9,527 Posts
You have any idea how soon? You look a little pale... :p
Hopefully I have another season or two in me. My riding buddy wants me to leave it to him in my will.

·
Registered
‘21 Tour DCT
139 Posts
Every time someone brings up the ST1800 thing, it sounds more ridiculous. The 18+ wings have about 200lbs on the FJR, probably the ST1300 as well, are Way bigger and don't handle anything remotely alike. They are completely different classes of bikes, and no matter how "sport touring" an older wing rider thinks they are, there is nothing sport touring about the new wings. I just came from 10 years on a FJR, and the '21 DCT is so much more touring capable and less sporting capable than the Yammie was they're not even remotely comparable. The Wing got a little smaller, life goes on, but if you want to be taken seriously quit with the ST nonsense. That sounds just as ignorant as it does saying everyone who likes them must have all came from riding smaller bikes. I've ridden the big Wings, and I will take the new one over any of the past generations all day long. It's a smaller, but superior bike. Well, that is once you fix Honda's screwups with the seat, bars, wind protection, lighting, etc... :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have owned PC-800, GL-1500, GL-1800, and now a 21 DCT.
I have also owned ST-1100 & ST-1300.

The 21DCT is plenty sporty enough for a touring machine but it’s not in the same sportiness class as the ST’s.

JMT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 70 Posts