GL1800Riders Forums banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,043 Posts
Every time someone brings up the ST1800 thing, it sounds more ridiculous. The 18+ wings have about 200lbs on the FJR, probably the ST1300 as well, are Way bigger and don't handle anything remotely alike. They are completely different classes of bikes, and no matter how "sport touring" an older wing rider thinks they are, there is nothing sport touring about the new wings. I just came from 10 years on a FJR, and the '21 DCT is so much more touring capable and less sporting capable than the Yammie was they're not even remotely comparable. The Wing got a little smaller, life goes on, but if you want to be taken seriously quit with the ST nonsense. That sounds just as ignorant as it does saying everyone who likes them must have all came from riding smaller bikes. I've ridden the big Wings, and I will take the new one over any of the past generations all day long. It's a smaller, but superior bike. Well, that is once you fix Honda's screwups with the seat, bars, wind protection, lighting, etc... :D
Totally agree...my son's has a ST1300 and my wing weights 90lbs more...the ST has a shorter wheel base and more ground clearance when leaned over and he can walk off and leave me on any twisty road...but the ST1300 is far more top heavy and my wing feels lighter with the parking lot maneuvers and the wing and has far better riding ergonomics for touring...although my 30 year old son is plenty comfortable on the ST...but not me..those Sport Touring bikes make you lean forward and your legs are too bent for my taste...like the last model , the current Gold Wing is all touring machine that just handles very well for what it is....but its nowhere near a Sport Touring machine with the handling or power.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
10,043 Posts
A good friend of mine just recently received (that's another story) a new 2021 Goldwing DCT. He asked me to take it for a ride to get my impressions. I own and ride an '06 with Helibars and a Utopia back rest. It only took 10 feet of slow travel for me to miss the back rest. The next thing I noticed was the steering. It didn't feel as responsive as my '06. Maybe because of the lack of Helibars? The 2021 also felt top heavy in comparison to the '06 ... weird. Sport mode makes the throttle way too sensitive. I'll often shift up into 2nd gear on my '06 as soon as the bike starts moving as I find the throttle on the '06 too sensitive in first gear particularly in tight maneuvers or on unpaved surfaces. I can't imagine any circumstance where sport mode might be an advantage (maybe on the highway?). The DCT shifted smoothly and the ride of the 2021 felt smoother, but not enough to claim there's a huge difference. The adjustable wind screen is nice, but there was a lot more air hitting my face. I didn't have the opportunity to ride out on an interstate to see if that would be more of an issue. At least I know now it isn't worth the $$$$$$$ to think about replacing the '06, unless I win the lottery or someone gives me a bike (like what happened to my friend).
I'm surprised you feel the new model feels more top heavy than the old model....with my first ride on the new model, I immediately noticed the weight loss and I was impressed with how much easier the new model could make a tight U turn.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I'm surprised you feel the new model feels more top heavy than the old model....with my first ride on the new model, I immediately noticed the weight loss and I was impressed with how much easier the new model could make a tight U turn.
I was surprised by the top heavy feel. I wonder how much weight Honda shaved off the engine case with thinner castings.
I didn't get the opportunity to make any tight u-turns or perform parking lot maneuvers. The DCT would require a bit of time for me to get comfortable with.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Over ten years ago when I still had my '94 GL1500 I also had purchased a used ST1300 so my son and I could ride together. He may have been 23 years old and had just come off active duty. Neither one of us could ride that ST1300 for more than two hours; it was just too uncomfortable. If we were out on a long ride we would stop and switch bikes. I dreaded the ST1300, sold it within a couple of months and bought a used '98 GL1500 to replace it. My nephew still has the '94 and my son-in-law has the '98.

Reactions: aht_six

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I feel you've done yourself a disservice by not riding one before you made your decision. I think if you would have, you'd see that the new Wing is not a sport bike at all. It's every bit the big luxurious bike it's always been, it's just lighter, better handling, and more capable than the previous Wings. I don't see how any of these attributes are a bad thing. Of course, if you want something less capable, you could always buy a Harley...

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have enjoyed reading this thread. I thought about how things began to unfold back when the 18 Model and DCT option was announced. The two Generations are very different and while reading this thread I fully understand why each person has their opinion shared. It’s amazing how what one person dislikes another favors. I now own my 5th Goldwing and feel that I have been happy with each bike although it may suffer in some aspect. I have recently owned the Gen 6 bike but sold it last year when I developed a hand condition that has now been surgically corrected. Once I decided to ride again, never thought I would, I purchased a 2013 F6B as my wife will no longer ride and I did not see spending 25k on a Gen 6 as prices are stupid high. In hindsight I wish I would have waited for a nice 15-17 Wing to come available. I have changed a few things on the F6B and will see how things go with it as well as my hand over the next year. So far I love it’s nimbleness. I have not ridden a lot yet but I kind of favor this over my last 2019. Less technologically for sure but in some ways less aggravation, no built in navigation etc.

To sum things up I could argue why I like one thing about any bike and at the same time point out the same items shortcomings, the navigation on the newest being one example. It’s great that we still have good options out there from each generation to choose from. If today I could buy a nice 2017 Wing at a good price that would probably be my choice of the options. That could easily change tomorrow after more consideration. Each has its pros and cons for sure.

·
Registered
Future Goldwing owner - current sport bike owner looking to sell
149 Posts
To each his own. I always saw Goldwings as bulbous whales driven by old farts in the slow lane. Then, a couple of months ago I happened upon a photo of the new bagger version and fell in love.
Now I plan to purchase a used one in a couple of months.
The sporty styling and performance in Sport mode is appealing to me. I think if Honda wants to attract a newer younger crowd they’ve done it with this redesign.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts