GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, tomorrow will be six weeks since my neck/spine surgery and I was back to the Doc today for an inspection. X-Ray showed that all is going well -- all the metal and screws are where they are supposed to be and it looks like the bone fusion is working (new growth). I've been wearing the cervical collar for six weeks and was getting very tired of it. Doc gave me the clearance today to increase acdtivities (still can't lift more than 10 pounds and should not do any strenuous activities) and to decrease the wearing of the collar so that by the end of the week I will not be wearing it at all. Really happy about this. Said everything is looking just the way it is supposed to. Back to see him in 6 weeks from now and if all is well should get a clearance to resume most activities.

I asked him about when I could start riding my bike and he said "NEVER." What a clown!!! He knew how to jerk my chain. Actually, told me that should be okay to resume riding after the check-up on 1 March. Cool!!!!

You know, in some ways we are still int the dark ages in treating some of the human body problems, but in many areas it is just amazing what these guys can do. Pretty interesting seeing the x-ray with the big metal plate and screws and the metal cage in your neck. Now we'll see how the spinal cord and nerves bounce back. This may take 6-12 months and may not fully recover, but the improvements that have already taken place made the surgery worthwhile. Just amazing!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dave:
Glad to learn you are healing as expectd. My wife's surgery, just like yours, went well. Was done on Jan. 7 so will be healing for the next several weeks. She goes to the Doc tomorrow for her first post op. Seems to be doing well.

Hope you continue to progress.

http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/ ... incoln.gif

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Neck Brace

ZZ ? Just a little tip from someone who has been there ? With the collar that is. ( Broke C-5) Taking it off when you are sitting is a good thing, showering etc. Be very careful going DOWN steps. I slipped on the first day I went without the collar. Bout scared the livng $hit out of me. Just be very aware of your surroundings. It's gonna be real wierd when you try to sleep without it. You wouldn't think that little foam collar would provide so much support. A little at a time will go a long way later ! :yes2:

·
Registered
20,950 Posts
Wingnutzz,
Great to hear the surgery and healing process are moving along so well. Just continue to remember to take it easy untill the doc says full throttle is OK.

·
Registered
837 Posts
We're happy for ya Wingnutzz. I'm glad to hear your healing is going so successfully thus far. Just do as the clown...I mean Doc, say's and you'll be back on that big orange 18 before ya know it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Congratulations on your good report! January is almost over and February is a short month, March first will be here soon, quickly followed by spring. With the excellent ride of your GL, you'll soon be cruising all over Colorado. :yes1: :sw1:

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the kind words

Thanks to all for the kind words, and I know that most read and don't actually post. Sure feels good without the collar, and for prayers, I'll take all positive thoughts, prayers, monetary contributions, etc (heh, heh). Sure looking forward to the riding season, and it should be a good one. As I travel this year I hope to contact several of you in various locations as I ride in AZ, CA, OR, WA, NY, WV, and TN, as well as out this way.

If any of you are heading this way, and if you can find me at home, get it touch and we'll see if we can hook up. I enjoy showing off the great roads in CO.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just got back in town and saw your post Dave....GREAT NEWS.... Glad the recovery is going as expected.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing good after your surgery Wingnutzz.

I had the fusion surgery done on my neck in 1991 and it has worked out very well for me. Hope yours works out just as well for you.

Get back to riding as soon as they let you.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think for most of us having a bike and not being able to ride would be the worst thing that could happen. Glad to hear that you will be ready for the season. Colorado is one of my stops next year I may call. If we can hock up that would be great. For my part I know I am always thinking as I am traveling thru a state, could there be a better road to be on. Nothing better than a personal guide.

Take it slow

Dick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts