GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always had one on my R1200RT. Had it velcroed inside the edge of the fairing for 12 years. Never used it once, but I like to be prepared.

In that light, I'd like to find a good spot to hide the emergency key on the bike somewhere, likely velcro'ed or dual locked in is fine, probably velcro. Or I'm open to suggestions. Anyone find the perfect spot to hide the emergency key? I'd rather put in on the bike. I don't want to carry it in my wallet or riding gear...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Some have suggested inside the cover where the emergency key switch is concealed at the rear of the bike. Other locations are to the lid of the chubby where the USB connection is . Another is on the backside of your tag or inside of one of the side covers. I wont say which if any I use but I use the heavy duty Gorilla tape and it works great. I also may have the emergency start code hidden as well as a photo on my phone of the code.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Under the left engine cover. It’s plastic, and held on by rubber grommets and can be removed without tools. The cover is lined with foam, held by a sticky adhesive. Pull back the foam and slide the key under the foam. A piece of duct tape can be added to the edge of the foam, if needed. I used the same location on my ‘08 Wing. Works great.

6B88C305-3319-4726-A5F8-BDF29BAD8E59.jpeg

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No back rest, but the left engine cover sounds like it may be a good one..

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My ’extra’ key is not hidden. It has always been in the inside pocket of my motorcycle jacket! I NEVER ride without a jacket so it is ALWAYS with me! The fob is a bit big to be hiding, no?? Since I have 2 fobs, I will never need to be doing that ridiculous emergency key ritual. What a joke . . .

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
I stuck a piece of hose in the swingarm pivot and inserted the key. Snap the back on and all set. One could also wrap the key with duct tape or whatever just to keep it from rattling around.
View attachment 367507
Thats a good idea. I've use the drivers backrest pad because I can keep a few keys in it...one time I left my trailer hitch lock keys on the ground in my driveway while hooking up for my trip and couldnt unhook my trailer when I got to the campground 800 miles away...since that experence I keep spare keys on the bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I stuck a piece of hose in the swingarm pivot and inserted the key. Snap the back on and all set. One could also wrap the key with duct tape or whatever just to keep it from rattling around.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner... that one is brilliant!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Be careful with what you share on the internet.
Valid concern Fred. In my case they may be able to get the key and get into my saddlebags but they won’t be able to start the bike without the code which they won’t have access to. If someone really wanted to get into the saddle bags they could easily without the key and cause more damage to the bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Valid concern Fred. In my case they may be able to get the key and get into my saddlebags but they won’t be able to start the bike without the code which they won’t have access to. If someone really wanted to get into the saddle bags they could easily without the key and cause more damage to the bike.
Dmathys, you can delete your post now... Honestly not that worried that someone would start checking that part on every bike, but...

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
You could just put that key in any of the 'glove compartments' on the bike. Who is the heck is gonna know how to use that key to start the bike, nor open the luggage? I have looked at the 'how to' more than once and I still cannot remember how to do it...and if there was thief who wanted to steal a Wing, smart enough to look up the procedure, find open the compartment, take the key, knock off the cover below the trunk, would have read this entire thread...you would still have to have the key id thingie to start the bike.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
The reason I see for not putting spare keys in the unlocked fairing pocket is because some people steal, lie, and do things for no reason...someone could open that pocket looking for something, and not seeing anything but some keys, and then grab the keys just to make it hard on you...laughing that they know your screwed without your keys...some people are just that way...just better to hide the keys.. out of sight out of mind. A friend and I were out riding and stopped for a bite to eat...someone went into his non lockable compartment and stole his music player right after we walked away from the bikes. I know its pretty rare but it does happen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought a 19 with 2 fobs, i already have hidden a key in 1 of the great idea spots...I'm going to take the battery out of my 2nd fob so there is no way for it to accidentally get turned on while riding & put it in my trunk as i can access trunk with key. Then plan to put a new battery pack in my tank cubby to have new batteries on board at all times. My question is, will having the battery out of fob #2 for a long period of time (maybe years) cause it to reset & not recognize that im in deep trouble cuz I lost fob #1 the night before😲 & really really need it to do its job and start the bike to get me home.....

·
Registered
486 Posts
The reason I see for not putting spare keys in the unlocked fairing pocket is because some people steal, lie, and do things for no reason...someone could open that pocket looking for something, and not seeing anything but some keys, and then grab the keys just to make it hard on you...laughing that they know your screwed without your keys..
I agree. That is NOT where I keep my keys. But using a zip lock bag or something similar along with the wide duct tape like gorilla tape that is black and cover the entire area under the top of the lid is a good place to put vital numbers that you may need in an emergency ie: Bail Bond agents, Long lost buddies that owe you one in a pinch, or other codes that may be needed in a bind. Even if the culprit sees it it is of no use with out the magical key which is still hidden.

When I had my 2012 I used the black tape cut to the size of the back of the passenger cubby's taped to the back and even looking dead at it you couldn't see anything and the gorilla tape sticks really well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As I've said before.. Common sense trumps all. :). Thanks for all the ideas everyone... much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts