GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I put mine in the engine cover after seeing the post above. Great idea and great location. No tools needed to access if needed. No one but a Wing owner will know that the cover can be removed without tools as it looks like its part of the engine.
Man I love this fourm!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I plan not to loose my FOB. Never have lost a set of bike/car keys yet
The best laid plans of mice and men...

I don't think anyone plans on losing a key or fob ;)

I never used to carry a spare until I got involved in Iron Butt stuff 10 years ago. Several friends of mine ran the rally more than once and pretty much everyone carries a spare key. One of those friends in fact lost a key during the rally and was saved by the spare. I guess I'd prefer to be prepared. I've never lost mine either, but I always had a spare just in case since then. Being 2000 miles from home without a backup plan makes me feel less than comfortable. But obviously each to their own! :).

I have a 2018 which only came with one fob, but the first thing I negotiated for when doing the deal was a second fob. Given that I never use the extra key anyway, I have the spare duo-locked inside a saddle bag turned off and I can use the emergency key (now tucked away on the bike) to unlock the bag if needed. I seriously doubt I will ever need it. I also carry a set of spare 2032 batteries. But I fully admit being an engineer, I'm more anal retentive than most folks. Comes with the territory I guess...

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
I plan not to loose my FOB. Never have lost a set of bike/car keys yet
Did Ya knock on wood as you posted that?

I did not lose my fob. It quit working, or maybe more accurately the bike's memory for the fob became corrupt. Even the emergency code was not recognized by the bike. I had a second fob that worked and its code also works. I believe it is imperative to (1) keep your metal key and code with you and (2) have a second fob at home. I now have two working fobs and codes again. My failed fob is probably good, but it is my understanding that they can only be programmed once. There are only 4 cycle key memories and I wish not to risk corrupting another. I advise having two fobs and codes.

prs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heck I just used black duck tape to hide it in the glove compartment, even if someone finds it, whats the chance they know what to do with it?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The best laid plans of mice and men...

I don't think anyone plans on losing a key or fob ;)

I never used to carry a spare until I got involved in Iron Butt stuff 10 years ago. Several friends of mine ran the rally more than once and pretty much everyone carries a spare key. One of those friends in fact lost a key during the rally and was saved by the spare. I guess I'd prefer to be prepared. I've never lost mine either, but I always had a spare just in case since then. Being 2000 miles from home without a backup plan makes me feel less than comfortable. But obviously each to their own! :).

I have a 2018 which only came with one fob, but the first thing I negotiated for when doing the deal was a second fob. Given that I never use the extra key anyway, I have the spare duo-locked inside a saddle bag turned off and I can use the emergency key (now tucked away on the bike) to unlock the bag if needed. I seriously doubt I will ever need it. I also carry a set of spare 2032 batteries. But I fully admit being an engineer, I'm more anal retentive than most folks. Comes with the territory I guess...
My 2018 came with 2 fobs? 😀

·
Registered
293 Posts
With my spare key, hidden behind the engine cover, it’s always with the bike. I’d stand a better chance of losing it, if I had it in my pocket or in the house.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Checked my spare FOB yesterday, I keep it in the L side saddlebag, battery installed, turned off. The battery was completely drained, put a new battery in it and it worked just fine.
I put it back in the saddlebag sans battery, won't make that mistake again.
If you have a spare FOB on the bike, better check its condition.
Maybe the FOB is using its battery when its off? IDK. Any ideas?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts