GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going west from Rogers, Ark. looking for some good roads across Oklahoma from east to west with the exception of I-40. would like catch a little of RTE 66 but don't want to stay on I-40. TIA

·
Registered
370 Posts
There are several routes from Rogers to Tulsa, but from Tulsa to OK City is 90 miles of nice Rt 66 riding. Once you hit OKC, I-40 and Rt 66 are intertwined all the way to Amarillo. Sometimes they are one and the same but other stretches 66 runs parallel, still makes for some fun riding.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Not many "good roads" in OK. Some on SE Oklahoma. A short good road off of 412 between Siloam Springs and Tuksa is 82 north at Locust Grove which turns into 20 and goes into Spavinaw. That's a good short one but not likely "on your way through". 66 will be pretty rough one of those things some just want to do. I guess we actually have a LOT of rough roads in OK. Some of the roughest you even get to PAY to drive on. Took 44 turnpike from Tulsa to Wichita Falls, Tx on way to LLano, Tx this past weekend. Not a good road but you can drive about 80 to hurry up and get where one's going. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ride from Tulsa to Rogers almost every week and always look for new routs to take. Hwy 12 out of Rogers going towards Gentry by the airport is a fun ride but it only takes you 11 miles into Oklahoma. If you go north were that road ends to hwy 20 will take you on through Tulsa. If you want some pretty scenery take to the south at that intersection and go down Hwy 10 by the Illinois river to Tahlequah. There are a lot of great roads to ride and some pretty things to see in Oklahoma if you know where to look. I set my destination and set my GPS to avoid hwys and it takes you great routes.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Not many "good roads" in OK. Some on SE Oklahoma. A short good road off of 412 between Siloam Springs and Tuksa is 82 north at Locust Grove which turns into 20 and goes into Spavinaw. That's a good short one but not likely "on your way through". 66 will be pretty rough one of those things some just want to do. I guess we actually have a LOT of rough roads in OK. Some of the roughest you even get to PAY to drive on. Took 44 turnpike from Tulsa to Wichita Falls, Tx on way to LLano, Tx this past weekend. Not a good road but you can drive about 80 to hurry up and get where one's going. :)
Any time that I find a smooth road in Oklahoma, I think to myself that they must have hired an out of state company to build that one. There is probably only 2 or 3 smooth stretches in the entire state. :frown2: But it's a fun state with alot of neat places to see. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
My suggestion would be to ride to Mena, AR and then take the Talihena Scenic Parkway as far west as it goes, and from there you are on your own. I would suggest going up to Oklahoma City the Memorial site where the federal building was bombed.

The Parkway was a nice ride, not as twisty as VA's Skyline Drive or Blue Ridge Parkway but much more fun than I-40. And the ride across AR to get to Mena should be nice also!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts