GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm prepping for riding to Sturgis, SD in Aug. I kind of screwed up when choosing my RDL seat cover style, and I ended up going with the design that has a bunch of small squares. Looking back, I don't know why I chose this particular design because I really don't like it. The worse thing is, because it has so many stitching holes, RDL recommended that I use a cover rather than trying to seal it. However, I installed the cover to see how it fit, and there's no way in HE double hockey sticks this thing is staying on from OH to SD and back. I've decided, rather than constantly fooling around trying to keep the cover on, I'm going to use a sealer on it anyway, and not cover it. More than likely, RDL will probably be right...the seat skin will still probably leak even after sealing it, but I'm hoping that sealing it, even double sealing it if necessary, will minimize the leaking. I also don't make a habit of riding the rain. In fact, this bike hasn't been ridden in the rain since I've owned it, but I know there's no way we're riding 1200 miles each way and not hitting rain. What's a good sealer?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an all leather RDL seat with the half moon pattern and just used tent seam sealer on a q-tip and went over all the seams, then after that dried applied leather conditioner to make everything the same sheen. Works like a champ but time consuming the more stitches you have. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,531 Posts
Just ride it and don't worry too much. If you must, just bring a small towel to toss over the seat at lunch stops and use a half cover at night. I've ridden in all kinds of rain on all kinds of seats and never had an issue. BTW, rode to Sturgis last year (3300 miles R/T) and got rained on for a total of 45 minutes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have the same and I love it. Did the Sturgis run with it, got slammed in some storms so bad everyone had to get off the road, still no issue. You'll be fine.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
'Montana Pitch-Blend' leather conditioning balm is a good conditioner / sealant. It's cheaper to buy their products off eBay, but you can look up their web site to read all about them. They are one of the few remaining trustworthy USA companies, since many others outsource offshore nowadays. Their balm contains (real) mink oil, pine pitch and (most important for sealing) bees wax. Real mink oil is getting harder to find, and there's politics involved. Also, we cannot trust the labels; many, if not most 'mink oil' is heavily adulterated with silicone and lanolin.

I agree with others the RDL will probably be OK if left untreated, since it probably topcoat with a factory leather sealant that will last a looong time. But it looks much nicer if you apply a conditioner / sealant now and then, at least the RDL on my old BMW Airhead does.

Reactions: ssncob and Kenichi

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
'Montana Pitch-Blend' leather conditioning balm is a good conditioner / sealant. It's cheaper to buy their products off eBay, but you can look up their web site to read all about them. They are one of the few remaining trustworthy USA companies, since many others outsource offshore nowadays. Their balm contains (real) mink oil, pine pitch and (most important for sealing) bees wax. Real mink oil is getting harder to find, and there's politics involved. Also, we cannot trust the labels; many, if not most 'mink oil' is heavily adulterated with silicone and lanolin.

I agree with others the RDL will probably be OK if left untreated, since it probably topcoat with a factory leather sealant that will last a looong time. But it looks much nicer if you apply a conditioner / sealant now and then, at least the RDL on my old BMW Airhead does.
My seat skin is vinyl, not leather...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never fussed over the seat skins on any of my previous bikes, they all were ridden in the rain at some point, and those seats didn't disintegrate. Maybe I'm overthinking this...

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I never fussed over the seat skins on any of my previous bikes, they all were ridden in the rain at some point, and those seats didn't disintegrate. Maybe I'm overthinking this...
Yes, don't worry about it and have a great trip.

I have a RDL vinyl/half moon pattern on my 2008. Seen a fair share of rain in the 150,000 miles, it's been on the bike. I use some Meguiars on it, after washing the bike.

Never used the RDL cover. I put it on the bike in the driveway once, looked at it and laughed, and pulled it off. Hopefully I got it off and hid in the garage, before the neighbors seen it. 😀 It's ill fitting and fugly. I couldn't imagine it staying on when parked overnight in a light storm, let alone riding in the rain with that thing on.

I used a 1/2 cover once, just for fun. The 1/2 cover is the way to go, if you must cover, keeps stuff out of sight, and packs up small and light. I have a Ultraguard for my 2008, fit is awesome, price is right. I don't know if they make one for the 2018+ wing.

All in all, I'm not a big cover guy. I never had a "show" bike though. I like "go" bikes. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts