GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been looking at wings for awhile now ...
been reading here for a couple of weeks ...
LOTS of good info here.

I ordered a metallic red '07 yesterday, should have it the day after Thanksgiving.

question:
Honda OEM fog light kit (08V31-MCA-100) or after-market fog light kit?
... only about a hundred bucks difference
... so ... is the OEM stuff any better?

Thanks to all,
Dennis

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Welcome aboard wingwing, & congrats on your new 07. Go for driving lights from Electrical Connection. They're much better, & usually cost less. Click on the link below, to see some idea's. I personally like the Platinum Series. They're 55 watt, while the Honda lights are only 35 I think.
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/search.asp
:wink:

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
wingwing said:
question:

Thanks to all,
Dennis
Welcome...

The Big Bike and Hondaline driving light sets are the same except price.

Enjoy!!

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I found a set of 50 watt lights at Pep Boys for $20. I had to add the relay.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If I recall correctly, if you crack a lens on the Hondaline lights, and you will, the only way to get a new lens is to buy a new set of lights. OTH the EC lights are available as parts, in addition to their higher wattage. Made my mind up for me, eh?

Ride long and safe..and well lit.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Welcome to the board. Not sure where in Florida you are from, but if you click on the link below you will see a bunch of us are meeting for lunch in Two Egg, Florida on Saturday. Would love for you to come along. And don't worry about not knowing anyone at lunch. I've met maybe 2 people that will be on the ride.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71058&highlight=

·
Registered
756 Posts
Congratulations and welcome. Go with the Electrical Connection driving lights. Check here on the board before you buy any accessories for your new ride. You will be provided with more ideas and recommendations than
you ever thought about.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the good ideas and feedback ... I'll hold off on any OEM stuff for now ...

The dealer called ... said the bike was "in" and would be ready to pick up today !

I'm purchasing from "Carolina Honda" (Columbia S.C) so, this morning, if I can find a U-Haul flatbed trailer (with ramp and floor tie downs) I'll be heading up today and should have the bike back home by tomorrow ... (I live near Silver Springs, FL)

Are there any other "gotchas" or "watchoutfors" I should be aware of?

thanks again,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
wingwing said:
I'm purchasing from "Carolina Honda" (Columbia S.C) so, this morning, if I can find a U-Haul flatbed trailer (with ramp and floor tie downs) I'll be heading up today and should have the bike back home by tomorrow ... (I live near Silver Springs, FL)

Yes, read this... http://www.ridersrally.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1330
critical info on trailering a Wing.

Congrats on your new wing.. the first step in a long journey. BTW, why don't you just ride it home?
Dave

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Welcome WingWing, this board will provide you with lots of great information on accessories and stuff, also a great bunch of people that will help you anytime you need it....play with the search feature and you'll find all the info on most of your questions.

As for fog lights, EC and Tulsa are the best setups, IMHO....I like the yellow for the "see me" for safety...the Wing has enough light to see with, I want other vehicle to see me.

I would like to see the LED fog lights in person, this may be the way I go for the 07....also the protective lens covers from EC look sweet....

As for wasted money in a few words, LUGGAGE RACK! PITA to clear around and can't place a lot of weight on it...

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
wingwing, since you don't have your new ride as of yet. Why not come on down to the Perkins on SR200 in Ocala on this coming Tuesday night at 6:30PM for our monthly chapter meeting. Our chapter loves to ride and you will meet lots of nice folks.

Hope to see you there!

Call me if you like and I can meet you there, so you will know at least one fellow rider. 352-988-8031

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
wingwing said:
Thank you all for the good ideas and feedback ... I'll hold off on any OEM stuff for now ...

The dealer called ... said the bike was "in" and would be ready to pick up today !

thanks again,
Dennis
Dennis,

I live in The Villages. I can't go today, but if you can wait until Sunday or Monday, I can hook up my toy hauler and we can be in Columbia in about 7 hours. Pick up the bike either Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. We can either do an overnighter or head right back, whichever you choose. You pay for the gas. I'll be happy to help. It would be my pleasure.

Jan Kokkochak

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Welcome, good to have you here. Are you excitied yet, had my wing for a year and a half and still get a thrill everytime I ride.

KYBLUE said:
....I like the yellow for the "see me" for safety...the Wing has enough light to see with, I want other vehicle to see me.

I would like to see the LED fog lights in person, this may be the way I go for the 07....also the protective lens covers from EC look sweet....

As for wasted money in a few words, LUGGAGE RACK! PITA to clear around and can't place a lot of weight on it...
EC LED's and not luggage rack.

KYBLUE has this just right. EC's LED's are priced right, the yellow helps you been seen and our sponsor will probably have a sale that should include them either over Thanksgiving or Christmas (or both) and you can save a few bucks.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Don't forget to get a two-piece Tulsa belly pan!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
wingwing said:
been looking at wings for awhile now ...
been reading here for a couple of weeks ...
LOTS of good info here.

I ordered a metallic red '07 yesterday, should have it the day after Thanksgiving.

question:
... so ... is the OEM stuff any better?

Thanks to all,
Dennis
Welcome. You will find out that this is the best Goldwing site on the Internet. And the best place to order your Goldwing part and accessories.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
North Florida said:
If I recall correctly, if you crack a lens on the Hondaline lights, and you will, the only way to get a new lens is to buy a new set of lights.
FYI... Replacement lens from Big Bike is about $7. It fits Hondaline or Big Bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts