GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please repond only if you have actual first hand knowledge with the various tires available.
I'm on my 3rd wing.
My 2001 had the OEM then Bridestones which I think ride/handle the best but wear the quickest (may still end up being my choice) I then tried the Metz 880 and immediately got the front end wobble so back to the stones.
On my '05 wing I replaced the OEM with the Elite III since they got so much praise back then. I went through 2 sets of E3's before selling the bike w/o incident.
Now on my '08 I have the OEM 250s and didn't think much about them (good or bad) until going for a group ride with 4 other goldwings Sat.
We were in the north Ga mtns with temps up to about 30 degrees but most of hwy 60 was still in the shade. I had slid numerous times and we were all being very catious (20mph). Going through a down hill right hander the next thing I knew I was sliding down the street watching my goldwing spin in front of me throwing sparks.
Fortunately my gear worked, no damage to me the bike or my gear, not a scrtach. Kudos to my fellow ridres for avoiding everything.
Anyway I really feel that the 250s had a lot to do with it as I've ridden in plenty of rain/snow/ice roads every year. I had no warning, none/nada just boom on the ground.
Anyway, long story short I'm debating going back to the stones but wonder what your experience is with the 880 and elite III as I believe they are supposed to last longer. Long life has always been my top priority but I believe its dropped a rung or two after this incident. I will be more careful in the future (if thats possible) but since I like to ride in the mtns when its in the 50s and 60s that means a good chance of slick in the am and pm.
Please save your "riding techniques, tips and what you would have done" please my own 20,000 miles/yr is good for that. I am however a few years behind the curve with goldwing tires.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Anyway I really feel that the 250s had a lot to do with it as I've ridden in plenty of rain/snow/ice roads every year. I had no warning, none/nada just boom on the ground.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I wish I had a nickel for every person I have heard about having D250's slide right out from under them. They are the absolute worst tires you can put on this bike.

If you want grip, I think your two best options are Metzler or Bridgestones.

This thread reminds me, it's time for me to yank those Dunlops off my new bike before the same thing happens to me. I hate to replace tires with only $3K miles on them, but they will cost me a lot more if I leave them on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
What model Bridgestones are recommended??

·
Registered
297 Posts
What model Bridgestones are recommended??
I use G704 rear and G709 front, I have been caught in slushy snow and a little black ice (and a lot of rain) on trips and they worked well for me.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In 2007 I put Metzler 880 on my FJR1300 in hopes of improving milage which it did. I also slid a few times on the same road (hwy 60, suches GA).
I think I'm answering my own?
The obvious seems that the stones are the softer/better handling tire which will make it the quickest to wear but I think I'm finally past that now that I hit a limitation.

Steve

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
In 2007 I put Metzler 880 on my FJR1300 in hopes of improving milage which it did. I also slid a few times on the same road (hwy 60, suches GA).
I think I'm answering my own?
The obvious seems that the stones are the softer/better handling tire which will make it the quickest to wear but I think I'm finally past that now that I hit a limitation.

Steve
I believe the 880 is the wrong tire to put on the FJR. It should have Z rated radials. The Metzler Z6 would be a better choice for that bike.

I really have to push the Metzlers on the Wing HARD to get them to slide, and even then it is very predictable. I have no problem with them on the Wing, and they are my tire of choice.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I went through a set of the FJR specific Z6's in about 4-5k miles so I thought I'd try for higher mileage. Not only did it slide easier in slick stuff but was harder to turn in when riding the twisites hard, felt like it wanted to stand up.
Its been a few years since I've ridden the 880 or stones or Elite III on a wing. Bridgestone was always my favorite riding/handling tire on any bike i.e. VFR, CBR, ZRX etc but wore out the fastet. I remember the 880 felt "hard" for a while on the wing but then felt normal after awhile. I may just try a set of each and see how it goes.

Steve

I believe the 880 is the wrong tire to put on the FJR. It should have Z rated radials. The Metzler Z6 would be a better choice for that bike.

I really have to push the Metzlers on the Wing HARD to get them to slide, and even then it is very predictable. I have no problem with them on the Wing, and they are my tire of choice.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
You know what I'm gonna say.;):lol:

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Hated the Done Flops, love the Stones.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
We must have slipperier black ice up here in the north. You can't even stop a car on black ice up here, let alone keeping a motorcycle upright.:lol:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts

·
Love The DCT
11,781 Posts
We must have slipperier black ice up here in the north. You can't even stop a car on black ice up here, let alone keeping a motorcycle upright.:lol:
Same here in the great north country. We've had a fair amount of black ice on the roads this winter because of the very cold weather in Jan. It won't make a difference if you have a CT or MT for the rear tire on the bike and your leaned over in a corner and hit black ice. It will be "entertaining" to say the least. :eek:4:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I use G704 rear and G709 front, I have been caught in slushy snow and a little black ice (and a lot of rain) on trips and they worked well for me.
+10

Got me across a couple of icy bridges*, lots of rain and diesel freeway exits**.

Tried Dunlop 250 & metz. Both are

* Just let it be and maintain only a very light grip on the bars. This, of course, is a straight up ride with no curves. Curves? Forget it. No tire will do it.

** When it rains after a period of dry weather, the diesel that trucks leave on the entrance surface around truck stops can be nasty.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Steve , all,
Glad your O.K
I had an incident in '06 with my 05 wing, the DIRECT fault was the stock tires, D250's They had 5,200 miles on them. I was going straight ( 50 mph )in the rain on the Garden State Parkway, the rear wheel (tire ) went into a 1.5 inch deep, 2 inch wide, by 10 foot long crevice coated with tar. Took the rear of the bike and brought it over to my left, I brought it back to recover but it went all the way to the right and I went sliding down the parkway on the left side of the Wing, bike was totaled after it it the center concrete barrier.
The 250's SUCK !!
Rich K ( WingSki )

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
96,000 miles in less than 2 yrs
1 up, 2up, with and without trailer.
Skill competitions a must
Multiple time dragon slayer - only fun at night though

That being said...

Best traction I ever had was with the Cobra Venom. Problem is the durn things wore out in 5,ooo miles! Avon put a 2nd set on my wing on their dime, same result. However... the venom has been discontinued and its replacement is the Cobra. I have not had a set of cobras yet so dunno about them.

Here's the deal... had about 1,500 miles on 2nd set of venoms when I ended up having to ride the slightly mountainous areas of Northern Georgia from Traxxion Dynamics to a friend's house about 12 miles away. 6 inches of snow (with more falling), ice on the roads, AT NIGHT, 2up with a heavy trailer, could not see 20 feet in front of me due to HUGE snow flakes pelting everything. DID NOT SLIP ONE SINGLE TIME. Avon Venoms impressed the h*** outta me, but I would not purchase them again due to hard-core short life.

Currently running stoner front at 41 and metzler rear at 42.

Hope that helps ya

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Stones are the best bang for your buck Wing tire that grips. I actually think a Metzler 880 bites a little better but many complain about delamination issues. The Elite III is not great for any performance rider. Many rave about Avons, I haven't tryed them yet maybe next time around. Everyone knows I despise 250's, they are hard compounded and some like them for extended straight up mileages. Other than long wear they are pure garbage, I wouldn't take one for free.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Wow, that's what I was thinking. Riding in ice here is really asking for trouble! Big Time! :nojoke:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts