GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search, and come up with almost nothing related to my question,..........which is, what's a good boot for <200.00? What I find locally, even Harley boots, are made over there in the non-EPA regulated country, west of Japan. I can find boots here locally that are actually made in US, like Douglas, or Whites, but,..... whooooooaaahhh!! Are they spendy, or what? I have an old pair of Alphinestars (spelling), and while they're not bad, I've always had trouble with the velcro holding. Even had them repaired with new velcro, and still, no dice. Ideas, anyone. Thanks so much. :) :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I used the search, and come up with almost nothing related to my question,..........which is, what's a good boot for <200.00? What I find locally, even Harley boots, are made over there in the non-EPA regulated country, west of Japan. I can find boots here locally that are actually made in US, like Douglas, or Whites, but,..... whooooooaaahhh!! Are they spendy, or what? I have an old pair of Alphinestars (spelling), and while they're not bad, I've always had trouble with the velcro holding. Even had them repaired with new velcro, and still, no dice. Ideas, anyone. Thanks so much. :) :)
I bought a pair of Alpinestars from revzilla a couple of months ago for under $200. They are lace up, not velcro. I'd suggest you take a look there.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sidi Traffic Rain Boots

Sidi Traffic Rain Boots. Best boots I've ever owned. (They used to be called Sidi Sport Rain Boots back when I bought mine.)

Plus, they have a waterproof liner so you can ride in the rain all day without getting wet feet.

Here's one link:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/41567/i/sidi-traffic-rain-boots?device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=COu0kZ78xL0CFUoV7AodlEkAXA

They are right around $200.00, and worth every penny. If you search around you can probably get them for under $200.00

Some versions had a slightly smooth tread on the bottom. Don't get those. Stay with the model with the really nice knobby tread. Grip great in the wet and on gravel or sand.

Can't go wrong with these boots.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I could not find any mc boots wide enough for my feet, regardless of price! So I found these: Blauer, 8 inch, waterproof, police/military style boots. You lace them by twisting a dial, and undo them by just pulling out on the dial/ knob. I love this system, and it is warranteed for the life of the boot. I've only had them a short time, so I can't give long term info--- but they appear to be well made and tough. $144.95 plus tax- ----free shipping. They come medium width and wide width. Also a 6 inch version is available, as well as non waterproof style.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I have worn duty boots for the past 20 years. Some good, some bad. These 511s I have now? Despite having "regular" shoes for off duty, most times I choose to just put my boots back on . They are that comfortable...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sidi Traffic Rain Boots. Best boots I've ever owned. (They used to be called Sidi Sport Rain Boots back when I bought mine.)

Plus, they have a waterproof liner so you can ride in the rain all day without getting wet feet.

Here's one link:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/41567/i/sidi-traffic-rain-boots?device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=COu0kZ78xL0CFUoV7AodlEkAXA

They are right around $200.00, and worth every penny. If you search around you can probably get them for under $200.00

Some versions had a slightly smooth tread on the bottom. Don't get those. Stay with the model with the really nice knobby tread. Grip great in the wet and on gravel or sand.

Can't go wrong with these boots.
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I had a pair of these Timberland's for working in and standing all day... extremely comfortable and supportive. However they don't have all the mandatory features I look for, for serious riding:

1. Totally waterproof, not just resistant
2. Steel toes for crash protection
3. Pull-on (no laces), with heavy-duty side pull-on straps
4. Low-profile tread design
5. Economic; around $100.-$150. since I wear them out every 15 months or so and toss them

I just received my 5th pair of Justin "Tec-Tough" work boots since early 2009, which meet all these criteria. Ridiculous for me to spend $300.+ on "european-style" riding boots like Sidi's when I'm so hard on them, and they only last so long. My current pair are toast at 16 months, but I wear them EVERY day for work plus all my riding. They cost me $118. in December of 2012. The new pair cost me $102. on closeout; seems Justin won't be doing another run of the Tec-Tuf's in China till the late summer. They are a little too firm vs. cushy compared to other boots for pure walking or hiking, but otherwise are excellent in every way!

:thumbup:

I'm on my second pair of Timberland boots in 8 years. Had the first pair resoled, and rode over 40K miles with them. Comfortable for walking, hiking and riding. Very durable and tough sole. A peg scraping boot if you're into that.

http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4064135

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Love The DCT
11,781 Posts
I have worn duty boots for the past 20 years. Some good, some bad. These 511s I have now? Despite having "regular" shoes for off duty, most times I choose to just put my boots back on . They are that comfortable...
:agree: on the 5.11 atac's, great pair of boots. :doorag:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Red Wing

My main riding boot is Red Wing engineer boots. I've had this pair for over 10 years and had them resoled last year. It's the only waterproof boot I've found

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow !! Good info. I'll look into these suggestions. All of a sudden, I get busy with some unexpected problems, so it will be a few days afore I get to this project. Can'r ride much right now, anyway. Weather sucks. :twisted: I'll let you know what I came up with. Many thanks, all. :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you can, Pony Up

Sidi On Roads ... best boot I've ever worn but not in the <$200 range. If you can find the extra coin, I highly suggest them.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Buy American, I use Justin lace up ropers with rubber type sole. $100 from any honest store.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts