GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Rick isn't that the one I got last year for about thirty bucks?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rick isn't that the one I got last year for about thirty bucks?
10-4!! They were being sold for $36.72 (included shipping). At $14 more, it's till a good buy!!! I ordered one just to leave on the shelf for a spare.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I don't understand trying to buy the cheapest battery one can find. I rate this close to tires in importance. I prefer to drive alone. I expect the battery to work and start the engine every time I hit the starter. Just one of the things I am willing to spend more on and get as good a battery as I can get. Of course I also carry jumper cables just in case. ;)

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What oil & filter is best?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have had two Honda OEM batteries fail me, one shortly after one week and one after several months. I have never had an AC Delco battery fail early, only after a good life. :shrug:

In my garage the most battery failures we had were AC Delco, just saying FYI.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would never buy an AC Delco battery. I only buy Yuasa motorsports batteries, that being said , I just got a new Yuasa ytx20HL-BS....for free !!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I had failures on two brand new YUASA batteries, early last year.

One went a couple days, and the other one went a couple of weeks.

Bought two of those el-cheapo AC Delco batteries and (so far) so good.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have gone thru 4 Yuasa batteries in my 2008, one of which lasted only two months and another that lasted a year. I will be replacing number four this spring with an AC Delco I purchased the last time they were on sale for $37. The original battery lasted the longest at four years. Ordered another one this time for a spare. Hopefully I will have better luck than I had with the Yuasa batteries. Although 4 years isn't bad, 1 out of four is.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Just wanted to point out a couple technical details you may or may not care about.

If you blow up the chart on the Amazon site, you'll see this battery is an 18 amp/hour battery. The older 01-08 bikes also used an 18 amp/hour battery (Yuasa YTX-20LBS). The 2009 and later bikes now come with a Yuasa GYZ-20L battery, which is a 20 amp/hour battery.

I'm sure an 18 amp/hour battery would work just fine in one of the newer bikes, but just be aware that isn't what came in it from the factory. The 20 amp/hour batteries were put in at the same time XM radio and the new Navigation system was added, and it's possible that they did it because of the increase current draw from those items. It's also possible it was simply done because this was Yuasa's newest technology battery, and so that is what Honda used. This new GYZ battery line from Yuasa enabled them to offer a higher capacity battery in the same size basically by squeezing more plates in it. It's Yuasa's newest and highest capacity battery they have ever produced and uses several newer technologies.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. If you have one of the new GYZ batteries in your bike, I'd hang on to it for as long as it keeps working.

·
Registered
748 Posts
It would be interesting if somebody knew the weights of their batteries; that might help discern quality to some extent. ( I bought an AGM from china for the wifes bike....it weighed LOT less than oem. Also, some batteries use a much higher purity level of lead = more weight

Knowing "who" made battery would also be big help. If Yuasa makes the delco....well, maybe this discusson is moot.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know that lots of people worry about the price for a battery but when they get stuck over a dead battery I'm willing to bet they have wished they would have spent a little more and bought a better battery. That is got to be the worst feeling turning the key pushing the button and hear a click or nothing at all. I have always believed that you get what you payed for. Myself I use a Ballistic battery I know that there expensive but they have 500 CCA when the stock battery has only 300 CCA besides they only weigh a whooping 3Lbs and come with a 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't "worry" about the price of batteries, but I also don't throw my hard earned bucks at everything I buy thinking I'm actually getting something better just because it cost more. I'm willing to bet you would feel a lot worse if you turned the key and got a click or nothing at all from your expensive battery than I would from my run of the mill battery. So far (touch wood) the only batteries that have left me in the lurch have been OEM's and one Odyssey (expensive) I got a few years ago when a bunch of guys on an internet forum told me how good they were!

I know that lots of people worry about the price for a battery but when they get stuck over a dead battery I'm will to bet they have wished they would have spent a little more and bought a better battery. That is got to be the worst feeling turning the key pushing the button and here a click or nothing at all. I have always believed that you get what you payed for. Myself I use a Ballistic battery I know that there expensive but they have 500 CCA when the stock battery has only 300 CCA besides they only weigh a whooping 3Lbs and come with a 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
The AC-Delco batteries that I bought were "Made in Vietnam". The cases were rough, and the terminals are thinner than most. The supplied terminal bolts were also el cheapo.

Certainly, these do not have the appearance of "top of the line" batteries.

They've been in service for nine months so far and a couple starts in the mid-20's.

I think that I was pissed that I could get two bad YUASA batteries in a row.

One more thing to think about - try getting a refund for a battery purchased online. It's not pretty. They're hazmat once filled with acid. I finally got a refund on one, but the company refused on the other battery.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
battery

I bought one of the el'cheapo amazon batteries. opened it up, filled it up and now way to cap the acid holes. Emailed amazon about the problem was told dispose of battery and would send new one at no cost. Me very happy. Got two for price of one.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I'm relatively new on a Goldwing. Bought my first one in 2009.

However, I have experimented with different brand motorcycle batteries in the past and I was always sorry that I did and I always came back to Yuasa and I don't really want to go down that road again.

Don't have a problem with anybody else trying a different brand though. Different Strokes for Different Folks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My AC Delco came with a bent terminal but finished the season last year after the OE Yuasa failed (my 08 purchased on 8/9/10 had a battery that looked suspect when removed. Maybe swapped before I got it.) I just weighed my OE Yuasa ytx vs my yet to be installed GYZ. GYZ 15 lb 15 oz; YTX 14 lb 3 oz. Usually Yuasa and others require acid installation after delivery. The GYZ was filled and had a good charge when received.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts