GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
That is a really good video. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
icing777,

Thanks for posting this video. I had never seen that done before and it is very useful information.

Thanks again and God Bless.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Another good way is to light one of those cable ties on fire and let the burning, molten plastic drip onto what you are trying to seal or weld. It works great but of course you want to be careful of dripping it on your fingers and the open flame could be hazardous around flammables.

·
Rocket Man
1,558 Posts
Couold have used that info last winter when repairing a couple of broken tabs. Great information. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Great post..I work in a body shop and this is real deal.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks icing777 great video I bookmark it next to all my other fix it video.
Hope I don't need any of them.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Get it moved to the " How Too" board so we can find it...

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
This won't work on many parts. Plastic welding has to be done using the same type of plastic that the part was made with, and there are many different types.

Most motorcycle fairing parts are made of ABS (though you need to check the back of a panel to see for sure). The single best way to repair a break in ABS plastic is with ABS cement.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
This won't work on many parts. Plastic welding has to be done using the same type of plastic that the part was made with, and there are many different types.

Most motorcycle fairing parts are made of ABS (though you need to check the back of a panel to see for sure). The single best way to repair a break in ABS plastic is with ABS cement.

Why not? He just welded ABS plastic! That's what's on the 1800.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Great job on the weld, but I would've used a flat stainless steel washer with the new bolt on assembly so the rubber washer wouldn't be oddly compressed by the bolt.

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
By the way, I would like to say that plastic welding done RIGHT, can indeed provide a good repair, but you can't just take any old piece of tie wrap you have laying around and melt it into any piece of plastic and expect good results. The key to plastic welding is to identify the type of plastic being used and match the welding rod to it.

This is why ABS cement works so well on ABS plastic. It is the proper adhesive that is matched to the type of plastic you are trying to repair. ABS cement won't work at all on polyethylene, polypropylene, polystyrene, or polyvinyl chloride. But it works great on ABS, which is what most (but not all) motorcycle fairing parts are made of.

Here is a good link to a site that has some good info on plastic welding. You'll notice that one of the first things they tell you is that the KEY to plastic welding is to identifying the type of material and matching the welding rod to it.

http://www.plasticweldingandtools.com/

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Fred is correct. I have had to redo a few melt joints before because the two plastics were not the same or compatible. I did a beautiful job of adding material to an area and when I put the screw to it the entire melt job simply popped off the part. Duh!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Okay:

I'll ask

Where do I get ABS cement?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts