GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it's time for a new rear. I've been looking at the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread in 205/55R16.
I am also looking at the Goodyear Eagle NCT5 EMT Run Flat in the same size. I can get a deal on one.
I've run the Triple Tread as a car tire on a car and an SUV with great success.
Experiences?
Comments?
Smart remarks?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I think it is a great tire too. The only downfall is that it doesn't come in the 195-55-16 size. It has to be purchased as a 205-55-16. I haven't done it yet and aren't sure how much trouble it is.... but you have to tie back your inner fender to have this tire installed so it doesn't rub. Also there has been some discussion as to whether it can be used on 06 and up because of the amplifier? A little tuff to get up in there too!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok it's time for a new rear. I've been looking at the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread in 205/55R16.
I am also looking at the Goodyear Eagle NCT5 EMT Run Flat in the same size. I can get a deal on one.
I've run the Triple Tread as a car tire on a car and an SUV with great success.
Experiences?
Comments?
Smart remarks?
Thanks!
I put on a 205 60 16 kuhmo on my 2007 wing. not any problems... If you compare the two sizes you will find the 60 is taller but narrower tread width ... fixed the spedo error also..

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Let us know what you think after you get one on!:thumbup:

·
Registered
725 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I couldn't find a 55 so I went with the 205 60 16 TT and just love it! I have an 04 and at first it rubbed for about 10 miles then it was fine. Tying back the fender was no biggie for a non wrench. One of the biggest perks is now the speedo is actually correct. I rode mine to Michigan and back from Arkansas. Of course you might have to stop at Rails for the cookies! They really are the best in the USA and maybe Canada eh.

Part of the regulator or something under the battery looked a little too close, so we turned it a bit for clearance. GREAT tire.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
. Of course you might have to stop at Rails for the cookies! They really are the best in the USA and maybe Canada eh.
:thumbup: thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
tt life?

Hey guys I know this is an old post i wanted to know what mileage you guys ended up getting out of this tire ? also did it effect your mpg any?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Milage on Triple Tred

To Answer your question on Mileage to expect with the Goodyear TripleTred:

I have been to 6 Dark Side Rallies with my Goodyear TripleTred 205/60-R16 and it is at 35,000 Miles presently.

Looks like it will take me to my 7th Dark Side Rally this Fall OK. The reason it has taken so long to run up the Mileage is that I have four Motorcycles to Ride and they all have Car Tires.

My Question is has anyone been able to run the New Type of Goodyear TripleTred 205/60-R16 on their Goldwing? The ST1300 Forum that I also belong too are saying that the new Type TripleTred is wider on the ST1300. The ST1300 uses Tire Size 205/50-R17.

Norther Dancer,

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
233 Posts
To Answer your question on Mileage to expect with the Goodyear TripleTred:

I have been to 6 Dark Side Rallies with my Goodyear TripleTred 205/60-R16 and it is at 35,000 Miles presently.

Looks like it will take me to my 7th Dark Side Rally this Fall OK. The reason it has taken so long to run up the Mileage is that I have four Motorcycles to Ride and they all have Car Tires.

My Question is has anyone been able to run the New Type of Goodyear TripleTred 205/60-R16 on their Goldwing? The ST1300 Forum that I also belong too are saying that the new Type TripleTred is wider on the ST1300. The ST1300 uses Tire Size 205/50-R17.

Norther Dancer,

Thanks,

Ron
how much tread life about do you think you have left on it? and do you have any complaints on the handling?

·
Registered
269 Posts
REply to TripleTred Mileage

how much tread life about do you think you have left on it? and do you have any complaints on the handling?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I would expect at least another 5,000 miles out of it and the Sides are still in good shape.

What I like best about this Tire as it has a 2 Ply sidewall and doesn't require a lot of air pressure, has good rim protection and another Board Member had a high speed loss of air pulling a Trailer and was able to get to side of road safely.

Not only that he was able to ride slowly to a Garage for repair.

Regarding handling I have taken the Tips Ride with Yellow Wolf and several Dark Side Ride-Ins with great success

Norther Dancer,

Cheers,

Ron

PS: Now if only the modified replacement TripleTred will fit?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Canyon dancer is talking about me with the trailer/pressure loss.

Wore out three of these and have another mounted in the garage on a spare rim. 40k is average. None of mine were past the wear bars when removed. The one in the garage however is three years old and will probably only be on the bike in case of emergency or long slab ride.

Michelin PA3 and Avid are the tires I prefer and run now. Triple tread is mileage king but not the best handling as they really like to be perpendicular to the ground, including broken concrete, approaches and uneven parking lots. Learned to pick the bike up from a slow speed tip-over by using this tire. On well-worn asphalt, they like to ride in the tire groove or in the hump between, otherwise they will fight you. When you learn where to let them run they are a great, stable, iron-clad tire. If I was headed to somewhere like Alaska, it would be my tire of choice.

YMMV

enjoy the ride, whatever it's on!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Canyon dancer is talking about me with the trailer/pressure loss.

Wore out three of these and have another mounted in the garage on a spare rim. 40k is average. None of mine were past the wear bars when removed. The one in the garage however is three years old and will probably only be on the bike in case of emergency or long slab ride.

Michelin PA3 and Avid are the tires I prefer and run now. Triple tread is mileage king but not the best handling as they really like to be perpendicular to the ground, including broken concrete, approaches and uneven parking lots. Learned to pick the bike up from a slow speed tip-over by using this tire. On well-worn asphalt, they like to ride in the tire groove or in the hump between, otherwise they will fight you. When you learn where to let them run they are a great, stable, iron-clad tire. If I was headed to somewhere like Alaska, it would be my tire of choice.

YMMV

enjoy the ride, whatever it's on!

Is this a common experience with putting wider ct's on the wing that at slow speeds or lets say in grass the bike just wants to flop over easy? I have dropped my bike about 4 times since i put the tire on and I didn't think about it having to do with the tire until you mentioned that. its a bear to ride in grass and if going from grass to pavenment you have to have you front tire straight towards the pavement and have a little speed or it will want to push you over right?
what mileage are you getting out of the other two tires?
thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Is this a common experience with putting wider ct's on the wing that at slow speeds or lets say in grass the bike just wants to flop over easy? I have dropped my bike about 4 times since i put the tire on and I didn't think about it having to do with the tire until you mentioned that. its a bear to ride in grass and if going from grass to pavenment you have to have you front tire straight towards the pavement and have a little speed or it will want to push you over right?
what mileage are you getting out of the other two tires?
thanks!!!!!
The larger, stiffer and squarer the tire the more you will notice the tipping tendency. IMHO, the run-flats and 205's both have more of this tendency than the 195 NRF's. The PA3, Zeix and avid are the best for not having this tendency(of the tires I've ridden). Rail or Murgie are probably the guys on the board who have ridden the most variety of different tires and could speak to this.

The slow speed tip-over tendency requires you to stay moving when you feel the tendency to tip. The natural response is to brake. The safest response is to get past the crack, uneven surface and on to solid,level footing as quickly as possible. After a month or two (or a half dozen pickups) your brain will begin to predict these anomalies better and you will learn to drive out of them instead of stop in the middle of them and strain your gut trying in vain to hold off the inevitable slide to the side. This tendency, as I have found is directly proportional to the amount of other bikers/neighbors/ friends watching. The more desire to impress the witnesses and not look like a novice, the higher the probability of the inevitable lay-over.

My experience with the PA3 I wore out was about 25k. The Avid I have on now looks like it will go about the same. If $$ were the only consideration, the TT would be my permanent tire. The new tire that came a few days ago was a replacement PA3, and will be the next victim I flog. The TT has been lonely for a long time and late at night it whimpers from the corner that it want to go riding. So far I am ignoring it.

go ride that thing...

·
Registered
269 Posts
The larger, stiffer and squarer the tire the more you will notice the tipping tendency. IMHO, the run-flats and 205's both have more of this tendency than the 195 NRF's. The PA3, Zeix and avid are the best for not having this tendency(of the tires I've ridden). Rail or Murgie are probably the guys on the board who have ridden the most variety of different tires and could speak to this.

The slow speed tip-over tendency requires you to stay moving when you feel the tendency to tip. The natural response is to brake. The safest response is to get past the crack, uneven surface and on to solid,level footing as quickly as possible. After a month or two (or a half dozen pickups) your brain will begin to predict these anomalies better and you will learn to drive out of them instead of stop in the middle of them and strain your gut trying in vain to hold off the inevitable slide to the side. This tendency, as I have found is directly proportional to the amount of other bikers/neighbors/ friends watching. The more desire to impress the witnesses and not look like a novice, the higher the probability of the inevitable lay-over.

My experience with the PA3 I wore out was about 25k. The Avid I have on now looks like it will go about the same. If $$ were the only consideration, the TT would be my permanent tire. The new tire that came a few days ago was a replacement PA3, and will be the next victim I flog. The TT has been lonely for a long time and late at night it whimpers from the corner that it want to go riding. So far I am ignoring it.

go ride that thing...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi revrunt,

You have explained this perfectly, that is the low speed handling of the Goodyear TripleTred 205/60R16 (Non Run Flat) and KUMHO 195/55R16 (Run Flat) -- they each have a very flat and ridged Tread and will really follow the low side of uneven surfaces especially at low speed.

My experience with the HANKOOK 205/50/R17 (Non Run Flat) used on my ST1300, DUNLOP SP5000 195/60R16 (Non Run Flat) used on my Goldwing, Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 205/60R16 (Non Run Flat) used on my Nomad, is that they are much better at low speeds on uneven surfaces.

It is just wonderful that we have this forum to share our tips so that we all benefit.

Northern Dancer,

Regards,

Ron

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ruts I almost lost it on at Night

Wonder how a Goldwing with a MT would have handled these Ruts at night coming to a stop not knowing they were there?

In any case I was on this back road with no street lights leading into the City and came to a stop at a Stop Sign with Cars behind me when my Goldwing veered suddenly and almost threw itself on ground. By the grace of God I was able to hold her up. With Cars behind me I decided to accelerate smartly when the Goldwing again wagged at steering and again pitched to the side. Again I was fortunate to save things and made it Home.

I went back during day time to take pictures and they do not really show just how deep these Ruts were. This Stop Sign is a fairly recent addition and I would guess that this road being on a highly traveled road going to our Dump with heavily loaded trucks braking to a stop and this has caused the Ruts to develop during the Hot Weather.

Reviewing what happened as I remember it and looking at the Ruts, when stopping I must have been on the center raised section and rolled off onto the left Rut when coming to a stop with it steering wagging and pitching to side. I would have been partly pointed to the center when I accelerated from being stopped and Motorcycle climbed the raised Center part then dropped into Right Rut which again effected front wheel sending me into oncoming lane almost when I corrected and it again pitched to its side which I was lucky to again save it from dropping.

One just never knows what lies ahead.

Northern Dancer,

Regards,

Ron

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...Deep Ruts Ron hit at Stop Sign at Night-1.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...Deep Ruts Ron hit at Stop Sign at Night-6.JPG

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does Anyone remenber how a MT would act in those Ruts?

Hi Fellow DarkSiders;

It has been some time since I have run a Motorcycle Tire on the Rear and I am not being smart or trying to stir the Pod.

Just curious just how the Motorcycle Tire would behave hitting those Ruts at night and not knowing they were there?

I would like to get my Local Goldwing Club Car Tire haters to try that Stop but I would not want them to crash and get hurt.

Northern Dancer,

Regards,

Ron

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Night-1.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Night-6.JPG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts