GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished reading where the steel workers union has approved the new contract.

A formal announcement is forthcoming on Friday.

It has been a long haul for the line workers.

Bulldog

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dunlop

Is it true that Dunlop motorcycle tires have been made by scab labor during the strike? If so, were they as good a tire maker as the union labor? If they are not, how long will it be before the scab made tires are out of the system and "good" tires are available? I am only asking my questions based on rumors I have heard and general comments from sundry sources.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Don't believe everything you are told or read on the internet!

Manufacturing processes, like tire manufacturing, today are pretty automated. The workers inputs to the process are, for the most part, limited to some parameters set in the machines. Things such as time, temperature, pressures, layers of fabric, re-inforcements, and most importantly, rubber compound are all controlled independent of the workers building the tires.

The "scab" replacement workers, as you call them, are just folks needing a job. They are trying to feed and house their family, just like all of us. They are not "out to break the unions" as some have written in other posts. If the spoiled union workers don't want the job, move over and let someone who will work move in.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rumors were set by the self displaced workers. Many of the "Scab" workers were non-striking Union workers.

I am neither for or against Unions. However when they picket Dealers, and spread rumor that their products that the depend on for a living, are defective, can not help the post strike sales nor lift the sales once the strike is over. I feel that the Union folks that passed this rumor, have done the parent company that feeds them, and the workers that depend on these sales, a great dis-service.

Are we to believe that just because you are a union member in a non skilled labor force, that you make better tires? I can't believe that!

I am glad that they are going back to work. The timing of the striking workers running out of benefits next week, unless the pay under COBRA for health bennies, is curious. Makes me wonder who really won in this dispute?

I am glad for the Workers, that they can feel secure for another short period of time, and can get on with their lives.

I further believe that the Goodyear-Dunlop company fared better than the Union did in these negotiations. The Union won some short term yardage, but in the long run, I think they came up short.

I want to stay Neutral in all of this, as I am not involved and do not derive my living from these issues.

Happy New year to All!

Bulldog

·
Registered
547 Posts
In a way it's unfortunate for the company for the strike, and subsequent tire shortage, to have occured. They basically forced many of us to buy from their competitors. I, for one, won't go back to Dunlops.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It's good that it's over, no one wins! I've been there, those guys/gals will never re-coupe the money they have lost during this strike. Relations between the Company and employee's however they were, will never be
good. I could say a lot more, but I'll let sleeping dogs lie.......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Union tires

Guess I stirred up some emotions when all I was doing was asking some very basic questions about safety. I have never belonged to a labor union, but would have if the labor force where I had worked was unionized, so if you think I was trying to slam these people, think again. As for using the term "scabs", it is a word I had grown up with seeing in the newspapers almost every day, I did not mean it maliciously. Now I am going out for a ride.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
On the way back from Texas we passed a huge Goodyear tire plant. I think it was in Shreveport,La. It looked like a ghost town. There were a couple of cars there and some people working outside of the building. Maybe they are working to get back online. I like the others have stated will stay with Metzlers. They grip like glue in wet or dry conditions. I might go thru them a little faster but I feel its worth it. Especially since I had to go thru 3 sets of Dunlops before I finally got a good set.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Toyo said:
On the way back from Texas we passed a huge Goodyear tire plant. I think it was in Shreveport,La. It looked like a ghost town. There were a couple of cars there and some people working outside of the building. Maybe they are working to get back online. I like the others have stated will stay with Metzlers. They grip like glue in wet or dry conditions. I might go thru them a little faster but I feel its worth it. Especially since I had to go thru 3 sets of Dunlops before I finally got a good set.

Hello .....Just remember some metz have "lumps" too!!!!!!!!!!...chuck...ask sheila..they (metz ) would NOT replace hers!! At least dunlop replaced your's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts