GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well, the last set of (Union-made) Goodyear tires I owned all died of tread seperation. Don't believe I wanna give Goodyear any more of my money. Also, a long time ago, I was a member of USW whilst working in a ball bearing plant in Philadelphia. We went on strike at the behest of the union leaders for no discernable reason, and went back to work two weeks later for no contract changes at all, other than an increase in union dues, and loss of two weeks pay. Worthless union.

Anectodal, yes, but they're my anecdotes.

Ride long and safe..and I don't believe I'd buy tires for the Wing from Goodyear, union or not.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
696 Posts
goodyear

amen thanks, red

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello can anyone find out what the CEO of honda of america make??? $$ I am not smart enough to use this computer to find out >>just wondering.....chuck

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I suppose if I was used to making 2.5 million a year, I would have one hell of a time trying to live on 1.75 million with deferred compensation. Rough life.

Hey wake up Bulldog, you were screaming in your sleep...LOl

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Chuck, It’s not all that easy to find. Once you do and it is public record much of their income is not or is not pointed out. IE, I know of cases where say the base salary is 900,000 a year but with stock options and bonuses you’re looking at around 9 to 10 million by the time all is said and done. Hell even entry-level VPs of large corp's make bonuses that would afford them to buy a Austin Martin Vanquish once or twice a year. I’m a direct report to a CEO of a 30 Billion dollar division. They give up their lives to a passion that pays well. I wish my yearly pay amounted to as much as one of their bonuses.

I'm salary but it irks me to see that all to many companies seem to think the onely way to cut costs is to cut wages of the craftsman. That or just ship work out of the country. I have heard speech after speech of how they want to attract more young people into going to college to become engineers. What they don’t seem to understand or refuse to acknowledge is why many young people don’t want the job. My youngest is in college now. His comment was, why would I want to be an engineer and either watch my job go to Russia and India or have to move there to have one. The same people that are making these speeches are also shipping the jobs to those countries.

Also, I think its BS that its caused by us looking for deals. IE, how many are in the market for aerospace equipment yet the jobs go over seas? I see much of this caused by BOD (Board of Directors) answering the demands of the stockholders for higher returns much more so than basic consumers looking for a bargain.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Goodyear

I hope the company is not sucessfull in busting this union - I believe there will be a resolution, but I will bet anyone if this company move all of its work over seas to sub min wage labor markets - You and I would still be paying the same price for a set of goodyear tires - Its not the worker who is greedy

Jim

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Joseph said:
Chuck, It’s not all that easy to find. Once you do and it is public record much of their income is not or is not pointed out. IE, I know of cases where say the base salary is 900,000 a year but with stock options and bonuses you’re looking at around 9 to 10 million by the time all is said and done. Hell even entry-level VPs of large corp's make bonuses that would afford them to buy a Austin Martin Vanquish once or twice a year. I’m a direct report to a CEO of a 30 Billion dollar division. They give up their lives to a passion that pays well. I wish my yearly pay amounted to as much as one of their bonuses.

I'm salary but it irks me to see that all to many companies seem to think the onely way to cut costs is to cut wages of the craftsman. That or just ship work out of the country. I have heard speech after speech of how they want to attract more young people into going to college to become engineers. What they don’t seem to understand or refuse to acknowledge is why many young people don’t want the job. My youngest is in college now. His comment was, why would I want to be an engineer and either watch my job go to Russia and India or have to move there to have one. The same people that are making these speeches are also shipping the jobs to those countries.

Also, I think its BS that its caused by us looking for deals. IE, how many are in the market for aerospace equipment yet the jobs go over seas? I see much of this caused by BOD (Board of Directors) answering the demands of the stockholders for higher returns much more so than basic consumers looking for a bargain.

I was just wondering as someone found out what the CEO of goodyear made & I would like ti compare to a fairly well to do nonunion company (I am a union member) I was told one time (long ago) that japanese a CEO does not take his bonuses if the company does not do well & I would like to compare!! ...chuck

·
Registered
730 Posts
Chuck:::::
Take a equal the CEO of United Health Care (non Union) Vrs..Goodyear....
Compaire there salary & Stock Options.

The Non union major corp CEO yearly psckage will blow you away...
Than compaire CEO's of Microsoft, IBM, Wallmart... All four companies are non union.....
IBM now has most of it's product now comming from oversea's

Than take a look at what the average worker is making with these companies......

So you will see on a equal playing field of all the CEO of all non union companies the people are making less than the union employee of goodyear but the CEO' are making more......

RED

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I believe that whatever the CEO of Honda makes he is worth it. Lets look at where there car sales are, Bike sales, etc. Honda produces and is one of the most respected names in the Automotive Business. You would be amazed at how many things Honda Manufacturing makes.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts