GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For when your off line (Airplane mode)
or going to visit someplace without coverage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSgcNTZ0afg

Also, it now supports "public transit directions" routing if you're going to the city.

It seems to load much faster.
I tested it with EMFB (Easy Map For Bikers).

Get the latest from the MarketPlace.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I just installed the newest version and verified that it works as advertised. It doesn't really fix the problem of having to have a 3G connection when using the device as a GPS, but it will be useful in a some situations.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I don't need a data connection to use either Google Maps or Navigation with my DroidX - I just need to enable the GPS receiver.

Having off-line map capability is a necessity for those of us who routinely ride 'in the wild' where phone reception is spotty, although having to manually download map segments in 10 mile snippets is not very viable for touring, but might be sufficient for sightseeing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes, if you can download the required maps/tiles, then you don't need a data connection if you device has GPS capability.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.. It doesn't really fix the problem of having to have a 3G connection when using the device as a GPS,..
I'm pretty sure I've used mine without a 3G connection..

Dennis

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I don't need a data connection to use either Google Maps or Navigation with my DroidX - I just need to enable the GPS receiver.

Having off-line map capability is a necessity for those of us who routinely ride 'in the wild' where phone reception is spotty, although having to manually download map segments in 10 mile snippets is not very viable for touring, but might be sufficient for sightseeing.
I recently toured of the desert Southwest including parts of Arizona, New Mexico and on into Colorado. There are vast areas of these States that have no 3G service and therefore no maps for the Droid (or Droid X). A GPS without maps is useless for OTR navigation purposes. I would like to be able to download large enough areas of map data so that I don't have to carry another GPS. My ancient Garmin Quest I required you to download maps for the areas you want to visit, but it would hold many States at once. A 10 mile square area with Google Maps is not near enough, especially when you don't know in advance what areas you need to download.

I see the 10 square mile download as being more of a tool for off road hiking in remote areas with no cell service.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've used mine without a 3G connection..

Dennis
I haven't seen that but I don't know why it wouldn't be possible. OTOH, data transfer over just a phone connection is really, really slow. The nav software would have to take into account speed and direction far ahead of time to start downloading map data along a projected route before you get there.

I think modern technology is getting there. It just hasn't arrived yet.

Edit: One more thought. My eyes are not as good as they used to be. I really need a larger display than either the Droid or Droid X has on my motorcycle. I am not willing to carry a phone with a display size that would be good for motorcycle mounting. An Android tablet or iPad might be good though if it is durable enough for the application.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently toured of the desert Southwest including parts of Arizona, New Mexico and on into Colorado.
Strange..
much different experience here..:shrug:

I just finished 11,000 miles (see "coast to coast back roads" post).

I used my Sprint HTC phone for the entire trip and had good coverage most of the time.. I'd estimate about 90% of the time.
I use it for both Nav and music and even had Pandora playing most of the time.

.. I really need a larger display than either the Droid or Droid X has on my motorcycle.
I'm waiting each day for release news about the new dual core 4G Motorola Droid Bionic cell phone.
.. rumors keep bouncing back and forth between 4.3 inch and 4.5 inch display!
... should be out the end of this month or sometime in August.

.. A GPS without maps is useless for OTR navigation purposes. I would like to be able to download large enough areas of map data so that I don't have to carry another GPS.
I did not carry any other GPS.

With Google, if you put a destination in it will load the maps you need to get there..
.. if you lose data connection in the interium, it will continue to display the maps from the "cached" data.
.. it has worked like for the past several months
.. that has nothing to do with the new 5.7 "pre-download" feature.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For directions or Nav, mine does not work like that.
I either need a network data connection or a wi-fi connection to get directions.

Mine will display a basic map of my last location without a data connection,
but that's it..
.. it won't display a new course without a data connection.
I really don't see how it could..
.. the request is generated from the phone then uploaded..
.. the calcuation "work" is done up in the "cloud"..
.. and the "result" is downloaded back to the phone.
(unless you're talking about "Co-Pilot" or something like that)

Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
..It doesn't really fix the problem of having to have a 3G connection when using the device as a GPS..
WOW!! I'm really glad you posted this..:bow:
(it should be on the main board).

I was about to switch to Verizon, but I think I may not
.. unless there is something BIG I'm missing here.

I think...
My Sprint Google Maps works on either 3G or 1rx (a true lower speed "DATA" connection)
.. sure, it works much better on 3G but it still works reasonably ok on 1rx.
.. so, during my travels, I had either a fast or slow DATA connection almost anyplace in the "southwest".

I think you're right..
.. after your post, I tried to determine if Google Maps could work on Verizon without 3G (or Wi-Fi)
and I don't think it will.

For me, that's a HUGH "deal breaker".
Sure, Verizon is faster when you can get it,
but if you don't get most of the time,
then it is, as you say, pretty useless.

.. I don't think Verizon has a true "1rx" backup "DATA" connection.
... when you see "1rx" on (CDMA) Verizon, it's really trying to push DATA through the voice path,
I believe they don't have a true "1rx" backup.
it is really really slow.. and Google Maps won't work.

I hope someone tells me I'm wrong and explains why..
.. else my new Verizon phone is going back before my 14 days are up.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Several times during my trip, I noticed that I had cell service but not 3G. I was not able to use the GPS to initiate a route under those conditions. I am not sure what the reason was.

Your information about Google Maps fills in a gap of misunderstanding I had. During those times when I was following a preplanned route, I don't recall ever running out of moving maps. I only noticed 3G was necessary when changing or initiating a route. Your information improves the situation but still doesn't bring it all the way to where I want to be.

My original Garmin Quest had 115MB and could hold map data for most of the Southeastern US at once. My Droid still has several GB of SD card memory available. It seems to me that you ought to be able to download at least a State or two of map data into it at once. I am just wondering why the 10 mile limitation exists.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding the new prefetch feature in google maps, I just realized you can load multiple 10 square mile sections. That is very very cool.

Dennis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts