GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just made a short practice route on Google Maps, consisting of a starting point, 7 way points and a final destination. I copied the URL and pasted it here: https://mapstogpx.com/. This program easily converts google maps to GPX files. I then downloaded it to my pc. After which I transferred it to a usb stick.
From there I went to my 2018 DCT and loaded it into the navigation system. The file loaded quickly and displayed on the screen just as I had planned it on google maps.
Using HD or Honda trip planner the route usually was changed from what I wanted.
I would do a test ride but it is raining out and will be for most of the week.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ken, Thanks for the info - I plan on using this tool often. Just for kicks I developed a route in google maps and used the Maps to GPS converter tool and then tried to import the resulting GPX file to the Power Sports trip planner. It did not work. The trip planner gave the message "Does not support the GPX file format. Check for updates". The funny thing is I could import to the trip planner called "Forkot" and it worked like a charm. Thanks again for the info Steve

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will it handle more than 9 waypoints or shaping points? Can you build a complex route with many small roads (waypoints) found at a scale of 2/10ths of a mile or does it stick to major roads?
My test route was all small roads, even dirt road.
Best I can say is try it yourself.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ken, Thanks for the info - I plan on using this tool often. Just for kicks I developed a route in google maps and used the Maps to GPS converter tool and then tried to import the resulting GPX file to the Power Sports trip planner. It did not work. The trip planner gave the message "Does not support the GPX file format. Check for updates". The funny thing is I could import to the trip planner called "Forkot" and it worked like a charm. Thanks again for the info Steve
Same here. The Honda Trip Planner gave me the same error message on the file import. I wanted to check to see if the GPX accurately reflected the Google Maps route. Guess I'll have to wait to I'm home from work and see if it imports from the bike. Based on the OP's experience, I'm assuming it will. If such, this makes planning routes super easy compared to the Honda Trip Planner. Thanks OP! :yes:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
is there a way to save the route in google maps? i converted it and saved it on a usb drive and will try it later after work. in playing around, i created a nice little route that id like to come back to in case the usb doesnt work.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Either I’m dumb (definite possibility) or doing something wrong. Followed your instructions to the letter. File came back as gpx and copied to my usb drive. Imported it to the bike. The route loaded and took the fastest route, which was of course the interstate. My route on google was not interstate. There were 3 shaping points between start and end. None of them appeared in the new gpx route on the bike. Only the start and end appeared.

I was sooo hoping your method would work for me. I’ve killed way too many brain cells trying to use this GPS.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Either I’m dumb (definite possibility) or doing something wrong. Followed your instructions to the letter. File came back as gpx and copied to my usb drive. Imported it to the bike. The route loaded and took the fastest route, which was of course the interstate. My route on google was not interstate. There were 3 shaping points between start and end. None of them appeared in the new gpx route on the bike. Only the start and end appeared.

I was sooo hoping your method would work for me. I’ve killed way too many brain cells trying to use this GPS.
My attempt at making a route was using local roads where no interstates were close by.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is there a way to save the route in google maps? i converted it and saved it on a usb drive and will try it later after work. in playing around, i created a nice little route that id like to come back to in case the usb doesnt work.
Apparently there is, but you have to set up an account to get a developers number with a credit card. I was not interested in that and that is when I found this other tool.

Google does limit the amount of waypoints you can have on any one route.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Waypoints

My attempt at making a route was using local roads where no interstates were close by.
If you go to the submenu Edit Route, do you see your intermediate waypoints? Or do you just have a start and end point? That seems to be my issue. It’s not registering the intermediate points I’m using to shape and force my route to what I want.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you go to the submenu Edit Route, do you see your intermediate waypoints? Or do you just have a start and end point? That seems to be my issue. It’s not registering the intermediate points I’m using to shape and force my route to what I want.
I am not seeing a sub menu on Google. There is one on the gpx converter, but the edit feature is greyed out.
When I open the route from the converter the way points are there.
I just made 2 more routes. One is next to an interstate, but not routed on the interstate. The other is on local roads, with both going to the same place. Next I will load them to the bike and see what they look like on the screen.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts

Fastest is the default on the bike. (If it's checked, it's doing what it's told)

But there are several 'route options' available.

As a start, uncheck the 'fastest' box and see what happens.

Nav manual, page 57-58 - Navigation>routes>current route>route option>select option(s)
● Fastest (Default):
Calculates routes that are faster to ride but can be longer in distance.
● Shortest:
Calculates routes that are shorter in distance but can take more time to ride.
● Avoid Expressways:
● Avoid Toll Roads:
● Avoid Tunnels:
● Avoid Ferries:
● Avoid Carpool:
● Avoid U-Turn:
● View Route:
Displays the entire route. 2 P. 60
● Detour:
Calculates a detour route. 2 P. 61

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sorry I wasn’t clear on that. After the route is loaded on the bike, you get the option Go, Edit Option, or Route Option. Select Edit, then you get the ability to Rearrange Waypoints. Select that to see a list of all Waypoints. My list only shows start and end. I’m curious if you get other waypoints or not. I had 3 shaping points in the Google map, which showed there as lat-long data. They didn’t show up on Honda, but were in the gpx XML file.

Regards to the Fastest box, the only way to uncheck that box is to check some other selection. I’ve tried all kinds of combinations of routing. Nothing solves the problem.

At this point I suspect that there is a flaw (surprise!!) in Honda’s code for importing shaping points. Perhaps if they were named instead of just lat-long, they would show up. Right now I’m just not in the mood to kill more neurons. Perhaps it’s time for a scotch or two.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My apologies for even bringing this program to this board.
I made 2 routes to the same place using google maps and the converter. Loaded them both to the bike. Clicked on each route and both times it used the same route. So I deleted both routes and recalculated the route along the one next to the interstate. Loaded it back in the bike and it took me the route of the 2 I had just deleted.
So I guess this program is no better than the rest out there.
I did try to us base camp from garmin and that is pure garbage in my opinion.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will make a video with my system and post it up in a new thread, maybe that will work for folks.
Thanks, that may help us all.

I just added one way point to my previous route and was able to have it go the way I wanted it to.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Sorry I wasn’t clear on that. After the route is loaded on the bike, you get the option Go, Edit Option, or Route Option. Select Edit, then you get the ability to Rearrange Waypoints. Select that to see a list of all Waypoints. My list only shows start and end. I’m curious if you get other waypoints or not. I had 3 shaping points in the Google map, which showed there as lat-long data. They didn’t show up on Honda, but were in the gpx XML file.

Regards to the Fastest box, the only way to uncheck that box is to check some other selection. I’ve tried all kinds of combinations of routing. Nothing solves the problem.

At this point I suspect that there is a flaw (surprise!!) in Honda’s code for importing shaping points. Perhaps if they were named instead of just lat-long, they would show up. Right now I’m just not in the mood to kill more neurons. Perhaps it’s time for a scotch or two.

I've transferred many multiple point routes to the bike.

So far, all of the intermediate points have survived the transfer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts