GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you save a google map and transport it into your garmin 550? Please be as specific as possible since I am retarded. :cry:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Top right of google map click on send looks like an envolope, it give's you opptions what to send to. I beleive your gps has to be connected to your computer before you start. Try that I hope I'm right. If you have an address to add to your GPS, I think google maps give's the same direction.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
How do you save a google map and transport it into your garmin 550?
You can't. You can import via points or waypoints but Garmin uses it own maps. What are you specifically trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can't. You can import via points or waypoints but Garmin uses it own maps. What are you specifically trying to accomplish?

I should have been more specific then. I want to plan a trip on google maps and then transport that trip to my garmin 550. I thought I read this could be done on here?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Red Winger,
The easiest online ride planner is the Harley-Davidson Ride Planner. You can build your route and then download it directly to your Zumo 550 (or other GPS). It's free to use, but you do have to register on the site. It's pretty intuitive and easy to figure out. I used it several times before I got Microsoft Streets & Trips.

As with any mapping application, be sure to drop in plenty of waypoints to force your Garmin to go how you intend to go. Otherwise it will take you the quickest or shortest route depending on how your preferences are set up in the GPS.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
I should have been more specific then. I want to plan a trip on google maps and then transport that trip to my garmin 550. I thought I read this could be done on here?
It "can" be done, but it involves a lot of steps and it doesn't work very well. By the time you create your map in Google Maps, convert it to a .gpx file, load it into your Mapsource, clean up the map (because Google generates all kinds of unnecessary waypoints that aren't always accurate), then save it as a .gdb file and THEN load it to your GPS, it much easier just to create the route in Mapsource and load it to your GPS.

If you're not real comfortable using Mapsource, I created this short tutorial on how to create and change a route in Mapsource.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I want to plan a trip on google maps and then transport that trip to my garmin 550.
It can't be done because Google Maps and Garmin maps are different. One might have a road or highway that the other one doesn't. What will happen is your <might> end up at the correct destination, but how you get there will be different.

I had two Garmin GPSs mounted on my bike, and even they didn't agree on which way to go.

As posted, it would be a good idea to just transfer over the Via points you created in Mapquest or Google Maps to your GPS, that way you will be assured of creating a route you can live with. Better yet would be to just spend some time with Mapsource or Basecamp or whatever Garmin is using..

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
EXCELLENT video Bartman. Very helpful. Thank You!

You have a nice audio voice to!!

It "can" be done, but it involves a lot of steps and it doesn't work very well. By the time you create your map in Google Maps, convert it to a .gpx file, load it into your Mapsource, clean up the map (because Google generates all kinds of unnecessary waypoints that aren't always accurate), then save it as a .gdb file and THEN load it to your GPS, it much easier just to create the route in Mapsource and load it to your GPS.

If you're not real comfortable using Mapsource, I create this short tutorial on how to create and change a route in Mapsource.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVlCGwuJ5gM

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
An important tip when using the Harley Ride Planner:

When dragging your road to a "better" road than one the planner originally chose, it will drop a waypoint. Often that waypoint is down a side road or off the road just a bit. Zoom in VERY tight and make sure the point is sitting on the road you are riding. If you don't do this all you have to do is ride past the error point and your GPS will re-calculate but it can be annoying.

The first time I did this I actually made the turn down the wrong road and had to turn around. Took a few times to figure out what was going on and what to do to fix it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Some people make it seem like it is hard, or can't be done. But it is fairly easy to do.
To start just put a single address in google maps, then click on the upper right envelope icon, send to gps. You'll get 2 or 3 options on how to send. I've sent my wireless, and by msn. You have to do some setting up for the first transfer, after that it is quick and easy. I use a nuvi 7 series, but I suspect it'll work with your 550.

I think once you get started you find your way.

...louie

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I plan them on Google Maps then just put in a route that's about 250 or to the next waypoint if it's over 250 miles and save it and update at fuel stops. I have an '09 level 3 and have never had any problems navigating that way with the GPS

·
Registered
532 Posts
I use harley ride planer all the time very easy gps sinc saves to my data on gps then import route That was easy

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was on forum one time where someone would ask a question, i.e., where is the nearest walmart.
Answers to question would be -
There is a Texaco over there.
Costco is much better than Walmart
Kroger has t-bones on sale Saturday.
You're stupid for going to Walmart.

I wuz going to open a reading school but didn't know how to get the word out.

I always thought that forum was funny.

...louie

·
Registered
211 Posts
gps route

I use Microsoft treets and trips. You do have to enter points along the way to for garmin to stay on the route you want

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I was on forum one time where someone would ask a question, i.e., where is the nearest walmart.
Answers to question would be -
There is a Texaco over there.
Costco is much better than Walmart
Kroger has t-bones on sale Saturday.
You're stupid for going to Walmart.

I wuz going to open a reading school but didn't know how to get the word out.

I always thought that forum was funny.

...louie
Well Louie,

The OP asked how to do something which cannot be done, certainly not easily, and he did mention he was not very good with computers.

All the good folks here simply gave him a myriad of options to get the job done. I for one hope someone does that for me when I ask how to do something.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Try this http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/download.php Interesting to play with even if it doesn't work for you. It is suppose to work if your computer identifies the gps as a storage device. It does not do this for my 2610 but I think it will for the zumo. Post your results if you try it.
That is the software that I use and it is the best route planning software I have used yet. Better than mapsource and it uses Google Maps as a platform. It allows you to convert to just about any format (GPX, TomTom Itinerary, and a host of others) It took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to use it. It allows you to name every single waypoint, name your routes and modify them. Also allows you to drag and drop your route to roads that you would rather take. Only draw back is that it limits your waypoints to a maximum of 50 (I think it's 50) so keep that in mind when planning. Also downloads directly to your GPS, computer or SD card.

Best part is that it is free!

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts

If you're not real comfortable using Mapsource, I create this short tutorial on how to create and change a route in Mapsource.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVlCGwuJ5gM
Bart;
Thanks for the tutorial. I just got mapsource and wasn't looking foward to learning it. Piece of cake now. Consider making this a sticky.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I use Honda trip planner. Its uses google maps as a platform, but you can't drag the route to change it. So what I do is use alot of way points. After saving it I down load, rename it and put it in gps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts