GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be already covered but I couldn't find it so.....

I've been using the same program to plan my rides and upload them to factory GPS on my level 4 Wing for years. It wasn't the most user friendly program at all but I've learned my way around it and been using it out of habit.

Recently, I've noticed the main map on that program has changed....to worse. Couldn't find a lot of smaller roads, or smaller towns, it added a lot of topographic info that I didn't need,.... Overall, from a so-so map it become a mediocre map...at best. After contacting the website I've been informed that they've lost a contract with Google so they can't use their maps any more.

I remember I always wanted to upload the rides I planned on Google maps but there was no option for that. I couldn't find a way to convert my planned ride to a GPX file. I've revisited that search now and after a while figured it out how to do that!...

Here it is - plan your ride, copy the URL of it and paste it into a program called Maps to Gpx. The program will convert your ride's URL into a GPX file and save it onto your SD card. Plug the SD card back to your Wing's GPS and you are done!...

For those of you that knew this, sorry for bothering with it. For others (me included) that didn't know that - it will save us so much time and effort while planning our future rides.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have planned all my routes using the trip planner from Honda. Takes a bit and needs to be cleaned up a bit at the end, but have never had a problem with this program. I make the plan and save it in a folder with all my others. Easily down load directly from the folder onto the sd card then into the gps on the bike. makes and save in gpx

·
Registered
189 Posts
Honda trip planner works ok. My complaint about it is that it doesn't have point of interest detail like fuel, motel and food availability. I have to have google maps open for that information. Nice to now know about the converter website.

·
Registered
226 Posts
After playing around with Google maps and the mapstogpx conversion website and seeing how the GPX file displays on the bike's NAV, I've concluded that using the Honda Trip Planner is easier, at least for me. After some initial frustrations, I've got the Honda Trip Planner figured out. I'm able to build a route using Waypoints such that the bike's NAV will follow the exact route with no deviations.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Glad I use my iPhone for gps. Two seconds to plan and route a trip. It’s always on its handlebar mount. For the time I waste getting frustrated trying to update a ten year old outdated and archaic system I could be at my destination and back!

Reactions: doug of no fl

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Glad I use my iPhone for gps. Two seconds to plan and route a trip. It’s always on its handlebar mount. For the time I waste getting frustrated trying to update a ten year old outdated and archaic system I could be at my destination and back!
Hyperbole much?
Two seconds...
Takes me longer than that to unlock my phone.
You can't be doing anything more than telling it to take you to a destination, no planning in that. That's not a trip, it's just a ride.

Planning is some of the adventure to the trip, (admittedly, also frustration).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm.....maybe I made a wrong assumption that, like me, most people are fairly familiar with Google Maps and found them rather user-friendly.

This was merely just an attempt to offer an option for how to plan your ride if you are not happy with whatever you've been using so far, like I was.

If the existing program is working for you, great. If you are not thrilled with it, there's this solution. Whatever works for you.....Just sharing the knowledge.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I found that there are two "Tricks" to using this website: 1.) In Google Maps you can have only a "Start" and an "End" location. You can add Waypoints (Click and Drag) but there can be only two addresses or GPS coordinates in the Google Search Function. 2.) Be sure to open the *.gpx file in a mapping program such as Tyre, Base Camp, Honda Trip Planner, etc. You may need/want to delete, move or add one or more waypoints.

While this website isn't perfect, it certainly is a useful tool. Thanks to the OP for sharing!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found that there are two "Tricks" to using this website: 1.) In Google Maps you can have only a "Start" and an "End" location. You can add Waypoints (Click and Drag) but there can be only two addresses or GPS coordinates in the Google Search Function. 2.) Be sure to open the *.gpx file in a mapping program such as Tyre, Base Camp, Honda Trip Planner, etc. You may need/want to delete, move or add one or more waypoints.

While this website isn't perfect, it certainly is a useful tool. Thanks to the OP for sharing!
Actually, you can both drag AND add stops on your way...and combine the two.

Here's how to do it:

Open Google Maps. Enter starting point (address, name, click on the map,...) and end point. It will calculate the trip.

- to add stops - on the top right corner there are 3 vertical dots (menu) - click on them (photo 1)

- it will drop a menu with option "Add stop" (photo 2) - click on that

- just add a stop by writing the address or click on the map (photo 3)

- finally, you can move your stops up or down depending on where you want to go first - click on two horizontal bars (photo 4) and drag the stop point up or down. That way you can change your itinerary or even change your start and stop points...

After adding all the stop points (you can add quite a few stop points!) and arranging them the way you like it you can STILL drag the route if you like to fine-tune the ride.

It really is as easy and as fast as it gets...

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Actually, you can both drag AND add stops on your way...and combine the two.
Here's how to do it:
Open Google Maps. Enter starting point (address, name, click on the map,...) and end point. It will calculate the trip.
- to add stops - on the top right corner there are 3 vertical dots (menu) - click on them
One can easily add "Destinations" in Google Maps, there is a limit of 9 "Destinations" or something like that. Anyhow, the function works a bit differently on a desk-top than on your cell phone application, but the terminology and results are the same. However, when the link, with multiple "Destinations" is copied and pasted into Maps to GPX the Maps to GPX program can't work with it.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts