GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It looks like Google Maps will work better than I thought.

I made a simple route in Google My Maps to test and opened it on my iPhone.

A single offline map download covering part of my route (image attached) took a few minutes on WiFi (236 MB). It covers about 300 miles of this route. Two map downloads will cover most day rides. Not bad at all.

Just use Google My Maps (log in to your Google account) on your computer to plan custom routes and they show up on your phone in the Google Maps App under "Your Places". As always, put in enough way points to ensure the route you want. Start CarPlay on your bike, pick Google maps and off you go.

I have not yet tried to open a saved route on the bike with the phone plugged into CarPlay. I had the Google map open when I plugged it in to the bike to start CarPlay.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
This is what I’ve been saying all along during this Sygic debate. They’re just not keeping up with what’s available out there for free, and keep playing games with their pricing. Google maps does off-line well enough, maybe not well enough for somebody out in the very middle of nowhere, but the vast majority of the writing I do at least is well with in the confines of in the middle of mostly somewhere. Google maps is going to be my go to nav software on CarPlay for the foreseeable future, with Waze possibly running in the background to give me audible alerts about red lights and police etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I use Google at times. My issue is they don’t accept GPX routes. For gpx I use Scenic App. $10 a year is fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use Google at times. My issue is they don’t accept GPX routes.
I have imported routes into "Google My Maps" from MyRouteApp. The route file has to be saved as a .kml file type. There are free converter programs available.

I have Scenic, it does not run in CarPlay so you are stuck with the phone display.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a place to get started. My Maps Help

I hope the Google My Maps + Google Maps Navigation + CarPlay + Sena Bluetooth + iPhone 8 + Gold Wing solution works well.

That's where I'm going to focus for now. I'm getting tired of exploring options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts