GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on driving from Maine to Goose Bay (about 1200 miles each way). I would like to take my 2012 GW but don't know if the road is built such that a GW can traverse it. Anyone made that trip by bike?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
It can be done with a GL1800...Personally I've never tried it, but Rich, a guy that used to hang out on the other GL forum did it several years ago. Quite an accomplishment. I did do the Arctic Circle in 2004 via the Dempster Highway (360 Km or so of gravel) and lived to tell the tale...Never came close to dropping it, but a LOT depends on the weather at the time and the level of construction on the highway (gravel) . Expect your GL to have dust and dirt that in places that you will never be able completely clean. I've often thought of a Labrador trip, but I'm thinking I would rather try it with a 250cc dual sport and stick to the local roads. If you have no experience in riding your GL in gravel you will experience several pucker moments. I think the RCMP might also offer super reasonable satellite phone rentals for the highway. No charge unless you actually need to send a message. Once you get to Happy Valley I think you can take a ferry back to civilization. No need to ride back to Maine :) Good luck if you decide to go for it, will be one heck of an adventure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did this trip back in '08, not on my Wing, on my Wee Strom. I think the Wing
would do ok, lot more comfort than the Strom! The worst thing you'll have to
deal with is the dust. What ever the reason, very little wind blows along the
way, so what dust is kicked up settles back on the road. You need to leave
a lot of distance if you're following a vehicle to give the dust time to settle.
When I would meet a large truck I would stop and turn the engine off 'till I
could see again. When I got home and changed the air filter, it appeared to
have been filled with concrete. :joke: Still, it was a very interesting adventure.

Harold

·
Registered
534 Posts
Several questions come to mind, How much experience do you have on gravel, or off road, or standing on the pegs. The road from Red Bay to hv/gb is all gravel with some places very loose. Marys Harbor was the worst area.
I took a trike up there in 2011 and pulled a trailer. There are a lot of paved roads after you get there to ride around on.
Are you planning to make the whole loop back through Churchill Falls/Lab. City as they are paving lots of it.
You can make the trip on a GW, just be prepared for all kind of situations,like flat tires etc. road const.
Good luck!!

·
Banned
1,912 Posts
Was stationed there back in my old air force days
No road then
used to chuck my CB750 into the back of a herc and go down to Trenton to escape

NO desire to go back

what prompted you to do this trip ?

Just a kajillion miles of scrub and deformed trees??
You must really like the solitude?/

$(KGrHqF,!qEFEFYzTCCoBRsjyvJ1yg~~60_12.JPG

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas and the links - good ideas.

Not sure why I want to go. When I was in the Army we often stop there going to/back from Europe. I've been up to the Arctic Circle and then to Prudhoe Bay in my PU truck but wanted to do something different in my GW. If it's reasonable I'll try to go by GW. If it's going to wreck my bike, I'll do something else like the Gaspe.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Gaspe

Hi, We spend the summer in Riviere-du-loup, Quebec. You will probably go through it, coming or going. PM
me if you want info or a B&B, love to have you stop by.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I was considering the ferry but it would be great to meet other GL1800 travelers! See you next summer.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The "freedom highway" is a "road" in name only. I would never consider taking a Wing on it. Dual purpose bike is designed for the rough riding. Can be very hot and lots of bugs that never rest. If you can schedule it for the few weeks between bugs and cold weather it would be almost bareable. It's kind of like the bad parts of the Alaska Hwy....except the Alaska Hwy has some nice sections of paved roads...Labrador doesn't.

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
The "freedom highway" is a "road" in name only. I would never consider taking a Wing on it. Dual purpose bike is designed for the rough riding. Can be very hot and lots of bugs that never rest. If you can schedule it for the few weeks between bugs and cold weather it would be almost bareable. It's kind of like the bad parts of the Alaska Hwy....except the Alaska Hwy has some nice sections of paved roads...Labrador doesn't.
When did you do your trip? What type of vehicle?

·
Registered
326 Posts
When did you do your trip? What type of vehicle?
When I worked in Nfld I visited Happy Valley & Lab City/Wabush for a couple of weeks. One of my fellow Cop buddies was there & he told me enough horror stories and from what I saw on a short drive on it & what he said, I would not want to ride anything 2 wheeled on that road. We had enough trouble in a Suburban.

For another point of view you might want to take a look at this..

http://vagrantbiker.blogspot.ca/2013/07/the-trans-labrador-highway.html

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Is there any way to get this thread moved to the Rides, Trips and Events forum so it doesn't drop off the bottom so soon?? (No I'm not complaining, merely suggesting)

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Labrador 500

Well I did it! See "Labrador 500" in Rides Trips and Events...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Well Done!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I had to put off the Lab trip due to family illnesses but plan on doing it next year in August. One question for those familiar with the road. What is a good tire for that road? I find the stock tires are real squirrelly on gravel and plan on changing them in July but not sure what to get. Avon Cobra? Metzlers?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts