GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for people using this camers. Are you useing the 170 degree wide angle lens or the 54 degree standard lens? I have watch the video on both lens and the picture seems a little better on the standard lens. They do not show still pictures on the website. I am wandering which takes the best still pictures. I am thinking of getting the wide lens one.

http://www.goprocamera.com/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question for people using this camers. Are you useing the 170 degree wide angle lens or the 54 degree standard lens? I have watch the video on both lens and the picture seems a little better on the standard lens. They do not show still pictures on the website. I am wandering which takes the best still pictures. I am thinking of getting the wide lens one.

http://www.goprocamera.com/
That's because it takes very crappy pictures. In you want still pictures get a standard digital camera for ~$200 like a Canon PowerShot and take your pictures.

For outstanding video with at least 90 degress of coverage and good daylight action vids get the V.I.O.

Or better still, the Hoyt Technologies HCR 100X if you want to include night filming also.

:bow:Hoyt Technologies HCR 100X is the Bomb.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Digital Camera

I have a good digital camera. I want a small video camera to mount to the bike. There are several people on here that are using this one and I am trying to find which lens works the best for all around use. I know it does not have a high quality picture for still pictures but a large digital camera does not mount to the bike very will. This camera is made for that purpose.

That's because it takes very crappy pictures.
In you want still pictures get a standard digital camera for ~$200 like a Canon PowerShot and take your pictures.

For outstanding video with at least 90 degress of coverage and good daylight action vids get the V.I.O.

Or better still, the Hoyt Technologies HCR 100X if you want to include night filming also.

:bow:Hoyt Technologies HCR 100X is the Bomb.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures

Your video looks good. For the price of the camera the quality is pretty good. Our local BMW dealer is stocking them and has sold a number of them. He has both the standard and wide lens. I just did not know which would be the best. I think I will take the wide lens.

I have the Go Pro Motorsports wide. I use it on my Wing,sportbike and dirt bike and really enjoy it.

Here are a few videos I have done.

http://www.vimeo.com/3111897

http://www.vimeo.com/2949203

As for taking pictures. Not that great but very easy.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
<snip>For outstanding video with at least 90 degress of coverage and good daylight action vids get the V.I.O.<snip>
I agree, if you want good quality, and what's point if the quality is crap, get a V.I.O. system. They are easy to install, easy to use, and the picture quality is great. Oh yeah, the company is good to deal with as well. (No I don't work for them.)

Below is a picture of the stereoscopic camera system is built and mounted on my bike last spring, prior to my Alaska trip.

This shows the camera heads mounted and positioned in the windshield vent hole using Ram Mount parts and one of Jon's dash mount systems.

The above photo shows the complete rig.

I used one of EdSet's bars mounted between the handlebars for mounting most of it. The two tall units on the right are the recorders for the stereo camera pair, to their left (yellow thing) is a Spot (total waste of money) and to its left is the camera system's record button. All the
POV.1 (VIO camera model) parts are waterproof and shock resistant. A single cable connects the recorder and camera head and its all self contained. If you want to mount the cameras further away, cords of various lengths are available. I have extra cable coiled between the recorder and camera heads.

On my right handle bar, I also had a camcorder mounted facing the rider. this was used only for recording commentary while stopped.

I have tried a number of camera systems and the POV.1 from V.I.O. is the best of the lot IMHO. I have 3 of their systems now which I'm reconfiguring for my Utah trip this May. I plan to have two on a new mounting system pointing forward for stereoscopic (3D) video and a single mono (2D) pointing to the rear.

One of the best features of the POV.1 is not its great picture quality and design but its "Tag" capture feature that alows for on-the-fly editting.

You can set a Tag length of 1 to 30 minutes - I have mine set for 3 minutes. The camera then records a continuous series of 3 minute clips. These clips are NOT saved to its disc (up to a 32 GB SD card), until you press the Tag button on its wireless remote. When the Tag button is pressed, the current Tag clip is saved to disc. If its in the first of last third of the 3 minute clip, it automaticaly saves the adjacent clip as well.

Let me explain by way of an example:
Your are riding through a section of twisties and suddenly as you round a curve, a deer is on the road in front of you. Your fast reactions and great handling Goldwing take you around the deer.

With a conventional camera system, if it had not been recording continously, leaving you with hours of useless video to edit afterwards, you would have missed the shot of a lifetime. With the POV.1 you can pull over and still have time to safely press the Tag button to save the video clip to disc. There is no other system I'm aware of that provides this biker friendly feature.

After my May trip, I'm permanently mounting a single camera on the front of my bike and wiring its power off the bike. this will allow me to have a video system always running when I'm riding and always available to capture what had just happened, minutes ago. I have also found that with some slight modification to the stage container, a single recorder will fit inside the locked, right-side storage space. A cleaver mounting location will keep the camera head hidden and thereby safe from theft.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cameras

I agree with you if if I was a professional photographer you have a great setup with alot of money invested. I am just looking for taking videos for fun on trips. I do not want all the clutter on my bike and I would not be able to see my GPS or mount my cell phone. That is what I liked about the real small camera. On a trip I would only have it on the bike at times.

I agree, if you want good quality, and what's point if the quality is crap, get a V.I.O. system. They are easy to install, easy to use, and the picture quality is great. Oh yeah, the company is good to deal with as well. (No I don't work for them.)

Below is a picture of the stereoscopic camera system is built and mounted on my bike last spring, prior to my Alaska trip.

This shows the camera heads mounted and positioned in the windshield vent hole using Ram Mount parts and one of Jon's dash mount systems.

The above photo shows the complete rig.

I used one of EdSet's bars mounted between the handlebars for mounting most of it. The two tall units on the right are the recorders for the stereo camera pair, to their left (yellow thing) is a Spot (total waste of money) and to its left is the camera system's record button. All the
POV.1 (VIO camera model) parts are waterproof and shock resistant. A single cable connects the recorder and camera head and its all self contained. If you want to mount the cameras further away, cords of various lengths are available. I have extra cable coiled between the recorder and camera heads.​

On my right handle bar, I also had a camcorder mounted facing the rider. this was used only for recording commentary while stopped.​

I have tried a number of camera systems and the POV.1 from V.I.O. is the best of the lot IMHO. I have 3 of their systems now which I'm reconfiguring for my Utah trip this May. I plan to have two on a new mounting system pointing forward for stereoscopic (3D) video and a single mono (2D) pointing to the rear.​

One of the best features of the POV.1 is not its great picture quality and design but its "Tag" capture feature that alows for on-the-fly editting.​

You can set a Tag length of 1 to 30 minutes - I have mine set for 3 minutes. The camera then records a continuous series of 3 minute clips. These clips are NOT saved to its disc (up to a 32 GB SD card), until you press the Tag button on its wireless remote. When the Tag button is pressed, the current Tag clip is saved to disc. If its in the first of last third of the 3 minute clip, it automaticaly saves the adjacent clip as well.​

Let me explain by way of an example:
Your are riding through a section of twisties and suddenly as you round a curve, a deer is on the road in front of you. Your fast reactions and great handling Goldwing take you around the deer.

With a conventional camera system, if it had not been recording continously, leaving you with hours of useless video to edit afterwards, you would have missed the shot of a lifetime. With the POV.1 you can pull over and still have time to safely press the Tag button to save the video clip to disc. There is no other system I'm aware of that provides this biker friendly feature.​

After my May trip, I'm permanently mounting a single camera on the front of my bike and wiring its power off the bike. this will allow me to have a video system always running when I'm riding and always available to capture what had just happened, minutes ago. I have also found that with some slight modification to the stage container, a single recorder will fit inside the locked, right-side storage space. A cleaver mounting location will keep the camera head hidden and thereby safe from theft.​

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Jerry,

it is true that most would not want all that clutter, in fact I don't want or have it most of the time. If you look at the camera system and imagine it reduced to a single camera, it is compact.

With the installation changes after my trip to Utah this May, the camera head will only be visible if you know precisely where to look and the recording unit and the single cable will both be totally out of sight.

If money is the primary issue, then this may not be the best suited solution but cost and quality often go hand-in-hand.

The best of luck to you Jerry, regardless of what you choose.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I know a lot of guys that use the GoPro on the track.. Cheep enough so you don't mind too much if you crash (although they survive anyway)

Good quality pics, easy setup and lots of ways to mount.. Only prob is that regular batteries don't last too long (Lithiums are the best) and aiming the camera is a little chalenging until you get it where you want it..

My Wife takes her photo camera and mounts it on a RAM mount and sets it to take movies.. Great quality for occasional use also!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well I've got the Go Pro and I don't have any quams yet about it. Dadda...if you will look at other reviews it seems as tho their having lots of issues with V.I.O. I would not spend that much money on crap...that keeps falling apart because of cheap stuff. Just curios Daddo...did you take the pictures that won't post in your remark with that V.I.O camera? The GoPro is tough. :roll: Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts