GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my feet went out from under me while hiking on a wooden boardwalk trail in Alaska. I fell with all my weight on my back. Unfortunately, my GoPro HD camera shifted in my jacket and lodged itself under my right shoulder blade. The result? Looks like a couple of broken ribs. I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. Still very sore and getting into and out of bed takes some tricky maneuvering. Not sure how long before I will be able to ride again.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Are you on a ride or just vacation by cruise ship or something?

If you are on a ride and in SE Alaska PM me.

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
Yesterday my feet went out from under me while hiking on a wooden boardwalk trail in Alaska. I fell with all my weight on my back. Unfortunately, my GoPro HD camera shifted in my jacket and lodged itself under my right shoulder blade. The result? Looks like a couple of broken ribs. I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. Still very sore and getting into and out of bed takes some tricky maneuvering. Not sure how long before I will be able to ride again.
Was the GOPRO On? Did you get any good video of the fall??

Just kidding!!

Hope your ribs heal quick, hang in there!!

Matt(BCNV) ;)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Matt beat me to the punch! Ribs can take quite awhile to heal up, I would be surprised if you can ride comfortably for at least a month. Take your time and remember, you are not as young as you used to be -- trust me, I know about these things. Growing older is not for sissies.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
sorry to hear that..

broken ribs suck..
.. hurts every time you breathe cause they have to move.

get well soon

Dennis

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
Matt beat me to the punch! Ribs can take quite awhile to heal up, I would be surprised if you can ride comfortably for at least a month. Take your time and remember, you are not as young as you used to be -- trust me, I know about these things. Growing older is not for sissies.
The older I get the more careful I walk.....

Matt(BCNV) :doorag:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The GoPro was on, but in my pocket at the time. Sorry, I could not get any good slow motion video of the fall for you "friends" to enjoy. And, making me laugh does NOT help!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Wow! That sucks! Hope you heal quickly. I too would like to know how the go-pro did in the fall. I've been considering one, and if they can survive better than your ribs it's a plus(for the camera, not your ribs). Hope you can enjoy the rest of your trip despite your injury.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Cruiseman,

Had some broken ribs as a kid, didn't like it then and know I would like it less now. :22yikes:

Get well soon and God Bless.

·
Banned
939 Posts
We are on a cruise, doing a story for our website (www.CruiseReport.com).
Very cool. Spend lots of money in Juneau. It has got out of hand in the last decade but we love you "cruisers". Do go on the train in Skagway and do fly the icefields in juneau (if it is a clear day).

Next time bring your bike and a pair of corks for the woods.

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident you big baby :joke:. I have a carpeted machine shop attached to my home. I usually work out there without proper footwear (OK white socks):oops:. About 3 weeks ago I stubbed my big toe on my left foot on the iron part of my Pitbull Dyna. It hurt very much and I thought the toe nail would become ingrown and fall off :eek:4:.
Remember this is my shifting foot and I always wear approved sneakers on the Wing. It hurt but I rode and shifted the Wing for three weeks with that injury.
Yesterday I went to a foot surgeon and complained I might have an ingrown toenail. He "X-Rayed" my foot and said it was a broken toe and is almost healed :shock:.
Five years ago I rode my VTX1800 (against doctors orders) three weeks after surgery on my esophagus that is like open heart surgery complete with metal staples to hold me together. In 1958 I rode my tank shift Harley with my left leg in a full cast from my hip to my toes (Hit by a drunk cage driver on the wrong side of the road :eek:4:). Leg shattered in 3 places and I did get knocked out :22yikes:.
With a only 2 broken ribs I would expect you to be back on the wing in 3 weeks or less :thumbup:.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident you big baby :joke:. I have a carpeted machine shop attached to my home. I usually work out there without proper footwear (OK white socks):oops:. About 3 weeks ago I stubbed my big toe on my left foot on the iron part of my Pitbull Dyna. It hurt very much and I thought the toe nail would become ingrown and fall off :eek:4:.
Remember this is my shifting foot and I always wear approved sneakers on the Wing. It hurt but I rode and shifted the Wing for three weeks with that injury.
Yesterday I went to a foot surgeon and complained I might have an ingrown toenail. He "X-Rayed" my foot and said it was a broken toe and is almost healed :shock:.
Five years ago I rode my VTX1800 (against doctors orders) three weeks after surgery on my esophagus that is like open heart surgery complete with metal staples to hold me together. In 1958 I rode my tank shift Harley with my left leg in a full cast from my hip to my toes (Hit by a drunk cage driver on the wrong side of the road :eek:4:). Leg shattered in 3 places and I did get knocked out :22yikes:.
With a only 2 broken ribs I would expect you to be back on the wing in 3 weeks or less :thumbup:.
That reminded me........on one of my cruises to the bahamas...was on a shore excursion in freeport and some little kid covered a big rock with sand, i kicked it full stride and broke my toe! Little bastards...lol.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The GoPro was on, but in my pocket at the time. Sorry, I could not get any good slow motion video of the fall for you "friends" to enjoy. And, making me laugh does NOT help!
What happened to "laughter is the best medicine"? :joke:

Accidents like that are very humbling. Don't ask me how I know.

Heal quickly!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I can empathize with you on the broken ribs. I had a mirror take out three of mine on a high side. My trick to getting out of bed in the morning was to pre-arrange pain meds and a glass of water the night before. Wake up, take a pill, 30 minutes later getting up was bearable. Keep breathing deep. Don't want pneumonia.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Sorry about the broken ribs....but don't laugh now.......are you not lucky you did not keep the GoPro in a low slung fanny pack? On the other hand....you could have saved yourself a colonoscopy.....you could have just sent the chip to the gastroentorologist.....

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

Yeah, don't laugh, it'll hurt like hell.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts