GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I get ready to take the two nicest trips of this riding season I have finally been able to spend some time working with the camera on the road, experimenting with the different resolution options. I have also been able to try two different kinds of mounting systems to try and eliminate some of the vibration issues that were just killing me, ugh.

Most surprising to me was that using the r5 resolution was absolutely the worst of all the 5 settings. That was the setting I used two weeks ago for a wonderful ride into SW Wisconsin and SE Minnesota, those back roads are simply amazing. Sadly, I had the resolution set at r5 for the whole weekend and did not have my laptop with me to check the results at night. Basically all of my recordings had way to much vibration to enjoy, I couldn't believe it. Anything above 60 MPH was deleted, just not acceptable.

Over the last two days I have been using r3 -- r4 and just for the fun of it today I tried r1, I have been surprised with the results. R3 is probably the one I will use going forward for the next trip but r1 looked amazingly good, I was surprised.

I am determined to make this little camera work for me, I will not let it become an expensive paper weight. I just wish GoPro had invested a little more technology into building an Image Stabilization feature into the camera, I'm sure it boiled down to size and cost.

I would enjoy hearing about your experiences.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
What you may be experiencing is a problem with all video cameras that are based on a CMOS technology image sensor. It is called "rolling shutter" and has to do with the incremental way in which the image is captured. Several weeks ago, I participated in a thread where someone else was having a problem with the GoPro that was immediately recognizable as rolling shutter. I did a Google search on "GoPro rolling shutter" or something like that and got several links to web pages describing the problem and how to avoid it. You might want to do the same thing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts