GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Gopro camera. Hero 7 black. Did not even unpacked it yet. And we are leaving Saturday (in two days) for a 5-day ride in Asheville NC area (Smokies, Dragon, Cherohala, etc) so mountains, wooded areas..... The weather should be bright and sunny....

What would be the best settings for the Gopro, considering the conditions? Obviously I have no time (also working full time) to explore options, try-and-error, different settings....So I'm hoping to hear from experienced fellow riders.

At this point I'll probably just mount it using the included mounts (I guess probably on the helmet since there's not many mount options with what's included with the camera) and work with what I have. Once we are back I'll get more mounts, explore more options, try different settings....

So, I need one setting that would be okay-ish for the above mentioned circumstances.

Thanks, guys!...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
How big is your memory card?

720P is 2.2G per hour.

1080P is 3.6G per hour.

Now, consider the number of hours of video you'll NOT use & go from there.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought two 128gb cards (was on sale) and the camera comes with one 32gb card.

Ok, 1080....anything else I have to change?

·
Registered
175 Posts
you'll need to set the fps. Either 30 or 60 would be a good option. Turn off the gps and "external connection" setting to save battery life if you are not using a smart remote. Good luck with it, I just purchased the same model 6 weeks ago and are leaving for the OBX in a week. I've had some time to play with mine, but still not sure what I'll end up with! You're trip will be much more worthy of the gopro than mine.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I always buy 2 battery packs and chargers that way you can change it out on the road and also recharge them at night. Good luck

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yeah, battery life is a big issue. And if you've got it on your helmet, it's tricky to get it turned on and off (and be certain you actually got it on when you want it). One of the remotes that shows that it's on is helpful for that. To help battery life, set it so the screen display turns off soon. You could just leave it on and swap out batteries as needed, or hook it to a small battery pack. But then you'll have a ridiculous number of hours to edit … and the fun of doing that wears off really fast.

If it's on your helmet, using the app on your phone to get it properly aimed straight before you start out is very helpful.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All very good suggestion, thanks guys!...

Apparently, the "rule" is if you have fps on 60 the "other number" (forgot the name) should be double that. Sounds about right?...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts