GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out riding yesterday, we stopped for a late breakfast at a popular cafe where a lot of misc riders frequent. From inside, I kept seeing people gawking at the wing (it is an impressive orange piece of machinery!).

When done, getting ready to leave, an unknown rider was BS'ing with his Harley buddy, and stopped to ask me "Whatdya think - $18 K a reasonable price for that bike" - pointing to his HD he was selling.

I was honest and told him I wasn't sure of HD prices, and especially since I only paid $16K for my GW. The other guy gave out a big laugh and said $16K for a Cadilac that doesn't vibrate and rides forever in comfort!

Made my day :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree

I 100 % agree. Just paid 17800 out the door for my wing. I looked at BMW, Honda and victory. HD ...not for me. If I want a headach and want to learn how to fix bikes I'll give HD a call.

You just don't get good value or a good ride for that matter. Would you get in an airliner that was made by HD. nuff said. :)

·
Registered
21,144 Posts
Onr thing for sure there are a LOT of late model used Harleys for sale.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The one I always use is when a Harley pulls up, I tell him that it sounds like it is only hitting on 2 cylinders. Usually I get a strange look and then they leave.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I was fortunate once to have access to a friend's ultra classic. i was developing some electronic interfaces and he agreed to let me install them under his faring.

He would bring his bike down every two weeks or so to report on how things were working, and we would tear his faring off and pull the test electronics out, diddle them and put them back in for another 2 week run of test.

The first thing that struck me was how rapidly the bike seemed to deteriorate; every time he came in, something else was broke, lost or bent. I thought, "this is a $21,000 bike?" . I then understood the old addage: If you buy Harley, stick to the stock!

I have to admit, though that the electronics package was quite well designed.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
cycledude said:
Onr thing for sure there are a LOT of late model used Harleys for sale.
a couple years ago it was we can get you on a waiting list, a lot of folks purchased harleys to make a buck on later resale

good for them

now a trip to any of the hd dealers arround my area will show wall to wall bikes, both new and used--no shortage

what will happen to stocks whne the dealers dont order any more becasue they have plenty leftover from last year

and can only sell tshirts

loren

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have to think that the days of the strong Harley resale values are quickly coming to an end. There's no great shortage of new or used HD bikes around here yet the prices really haven't dropped as yet. The bikes that are for sale are just that-for sale and not sold. The manufacturer has no reason to cut production to keep the used market strong so the only thing that's going to sell the used one will be lowering the prices. It's pretty basic economics, really.

I wouldn't mind having a Wide Glide as a city bike if I could buy one worth the money. I'd sure hate to try to take one for a long trip, though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Gr8Wing

Oh man,................... Got me laughin good here.......... that was a good one!!!!

I tried to talk my buddie into a GW......... He insisted on a HD..... He got a HD......... Regrets it now....... Went to Shop to check on bike.......... Got upset, bike was not finished. He said da** it! Im gonna get me a Honda, The mechanic said theyre aint no da** Hondas in here, Buddy said yeah, I know.......... theyre riding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts