GL1800Riders Forums banner

Got a Russell Day long seat for the 2018. Wow

12K views 70 replies 33 participants last post by  Pearl 
#1 ·
Got a Russell Day Long seat upgrade on my 2018. All I can say is Wow.
This seat is very nice. It feels like my bum is being cradled.

#3 · (Edited)
I did a ride-in to RDL the first week of Dec/19. Have now got nearly 1000 miles in the new saddle: Wow! What a phenomenal level of comfort. I was near ready to sell my 2018 Wing because it was sooooo uncomfortable for my wife & I to ride. I tried the Mustang seat at Wingding in Nashville and it too was a huge comfort improvement - but only for the rider ... had little to no improvement for the passenger’s comfort.The Ultimate seat was not any more comfortable for me than the stock Seat. I read about 50% good and 50% bad about Wingsoft alterations but seemed to only read 100% satisfaction with Russel Day Long. And since the RDL was less $$ than a new Mustang and only about $150 more than Wingsoft it made total sense to choose RDL. And am I ever glad I did. And a bonus ! I had installed the Traxxion trunk relocator kit to better fit my wife back there and the huge space that was created by moving the trunk back, RDL filled up the gap with highest quality design of seat for my wife. Looks factory fit - looks awesome and is more fantabulous than you can imagine. I had RDL make their backrest for me and even though I had Utopia backrests on previous bikes, the RDL backrest is waaaay awesome. My wife is waaaay pleased and now wants to ride more often than I do. We both love riding again. RDL saved my but (literally) and saved my marriage too. When you spend 30K + on a motorcycle and can’t stand (or sit) to ride it, what’s another $1000 to make it all so worthwhile and so comfortable ?

#7 ·
RDL is awesome........don't think I'll ever own another bike without it.

They are not cheap, but long term comfort makes it worth every penny.
I retained the OEM heat for rider/passenger and it is just as good as stock IMHO.

#11 ·
It’s a pretty close match. I was debating if I should have the backrest done also. It was RDL that recommend I wait since I was staying with the same color and vinyl. They said it would be pretty close and it was. Saved me a few $.

#14 ·
Can you still ride aggressively with one of these seats or does it "hold" you in and not really allow you to shift your body weight to the inside of the corner when riding those twisties hard?

#17 ·
Does anyone have a picture of their bike without the trunk installed and a Russell on that they could please post?

My build date is 03/25. Looking forward to it. This will be my 4th Russell and the only seat that works for my Wife. She has never complained with a Russell. Last Fall she said no more riding due to the seat but I hope the Russell solves the problem. I had resigned myself to selling the bike when I retire due to finances and her lack of desire but I really love the Wing.

My dilemma is now whether to have the Russell modified to fit my trunk which was moved backwards or use the filler. If I have the Russell modified to fit the modified trunk placement it will not work when the trunk is off. I would have to buy a second stock seat for non trunk riding.

#23 ·
I had a link to my video posted on youtube with the unboxing install and price but the removed the link from the forum You can google it. It cost 987.00 with Heavy duty suspension, retain stock heat and shipping. It raised me about an inch higher.

#26 ·
I wanted an RDL, but couldn't go an inch higher up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#30 ·
So far we have about 200 miles on the seat, did about 170 today even here in Michigan 45 degrees!!
The seat is so nice, the wife likes it also. I can tell as we ride it longer it truly does feel better and better, it has a way of cradling you more and more. Very satisfied with the RDL. Spending 26K on a bike, the seat has to be right to enjoy it to the max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31 ·
So far we have about 200 miles on the seat, did about 170 today even here in Michigan 45 degrees!!
The seat is so nice, the wife likes it also. I can tell as we ride it longer it truly does feel better and better, it has a way of cradling you more and more. Very satisfied with the RDL. Spending 26K on a bike, the seat has to be right to enjoy it to the max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Told ya you'd like it..... ?

Glad it's working out for you......I don't think I'd ever own another bike without getting a RDL put on it for long term comfort.

Reactions: Rellison
#34 ·
yeap, that's why I don't get an RDL, you lost your flat footing.

It has been my long term whine: that anyone can make a more comfortable seat if you make it 2 inches higher; but no one seems to be able to make a more comfortable seat without losing height...comparable to the comfort you gain.

Reactions: raw2210
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.